Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

Journal article Minister Paschal Donohoe confirming that the m11 will open in the next few weeks

http://jrnl.ie/2172283

Typically misleading headline from the journal, I thought it was going to say roadworks were finished somewhere when I saw it earlier .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

jvan wrote: »
    Typically misleading headline from the journal, I thought it was going to say roadworks were finished somewhere when I saw it earlier .

At least they are unapologetically upbeat about the recent new roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

Hopefully it will be open mid-July cannot do any more of these long Friday tailbacks . The northern tie in looks like it is progressing well that will be the last part done. The line painting fencing and erection of signs is well underway on the completed sections

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

vickers209 wrote: »

i cant see it being a under-bridge for the regional road as the new motorway is quiet low and there no visible works under the new road nor for an over bridge but its an interesting map.

Still trying to figure out northern end of alternative route R772.
    I see this from an earlier post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84407126
    It is proposed to provide a local all-purpose road from Ballymoyle at the southern
    limit of the proposed road development to Ballinaclogh near to the northern limit.
    This road will be designated the R772 Regional Road and will utilise significant
    lengths of the existing N11 to provide a complete local road along the length of
    the proposed road development. The R772 will provide access to properties,
    21 CH 2145 /ER27.ER2032 An Bord Pleanála Page 8 of 60
    businesses, farms and fields, and will allow direct access to the N11 to be closed
    off to improve road safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

jd wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out northern end of alternative route R772.
    I see this from an earlier post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84407126

Is there any works going on in delehunts field?
    Would it be possible they are building a road across the field to the back of Armstrongs?
    I know from there the road goes around the houses and under the flyover over to the road on west side and up to junction 17.

I personally know people living on that west side road and they haven't been told that the road will be made as a through road as it'd currently a dead end.
    The road it's self is quiet narrow too and wouldn't be suitable for two way traffic really.

I haven't been back home for a while to look at the works, but if R772 is not continuous at Northern end it gets a bit messy for an alternative route. Heading south on R772 at Rathnew would you head in towards Wicklow on the R750, then turn back towards Beehive on the R751? That would be 3 different regional roads on a (presumably sign posted) alternative route :) .

Thinking about this, the bit I quoted in post above was from when the scheme wasn't going to be motorway. So maybe what will happen is those bits of the R750 and R751 will be redesignated as R772.
    Probably the simplest thing to do

vickers209 wrote: »
    The fact that the sign in the new section of motorway has the current R772 numbered as L1100 would suggest that the current R772 out of rathnew will be renumbered L1100.
    I think this ties in with what I've got in post above :)
    Something like this. It makes sense when you consider the R772 goes directly through Gorey, Arklow, Ashford etc

352606.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I think you'ld use the Wicklow relief road, which is the road that goes between Friarshill and broomhall court, instead of going into Wicklow otwn proper.

I think you'ld use the Wicklow relief road, which is the road that goes between Friarshill and broomhall court, instead of going into Wicklow otwn proper.

Fair enough, that would make sense, I'm not overly familiar with Wicklow. But R772 will probably be

Rathnew<->Wicklow<->Beehive

• Advertisement

I can see lots of tractors using the motorway between junction 17-18 if that is the alternate route.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I can see lots of tractors using the motorway between junction 17-18 if that is the alternate route.

Hopefully the Wicklow TC camp there for a few weeks next summer and fine enough of them to get the message out.

L1011 wrote: »
    Hopefully the Wicklow TC camp there for a few weeks next summer and fine enough of them to get the message out.
    While I agree with you, it's also a bit ridiculous that they didn't plan a parallel alternate route considering it's only about 3 km of extra road if not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

This would be the easiest option in my opinion as per above post bring a road out to meet the new roundabout at delehunts from armstrongs
    But work would be required to widen and cut hedding back on the west road

11295758_10152971425135878_8681507442840326651_n.jpg?oh=baf728e8a4aac720c03f3166d5e7824e&oe=55EDF1F4

• Registered Users Posts: 68,654 ✭✭✭✭L1011

While I agree with you, it's also a bit ridiculous that they didn't plan a parallel alternate route considering it's only about 3 km of extra road if not less.

Its about as parallel as many other bypassed bits of road are to their motorway, though.

The bit of N road currently there is frequently called the "Wicklow Bypass" by the AA in traffic reports albeit I suspect that if if was built as a bypass of Wicklow it was in the Victorian era or earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Driving this way tomorrow, haven't been down in years. Are there many delays? Are the roadworks finished now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

L1011 wrote: »
    Its about as parallel as many other bypassed bits of road are to their motorway, though.
    Its not bypassed, its existing HQDC redesignated Motorway. Its about 200m from Armstrongs to Delahuntys before the works began. It'll be a huge multiple of this distance as an alternative route nowif you have to divert down the rocky road

Some discussion this morning on East Coast FM, with Ray Gaffney of Lil Doyles. Pretty positive, he's talking sense.
    http://eastcoast.fm/on-air/wicklowthisweek/listenback

Presenter said he'd be talking to other businesses in the coming weeks. From his opening remarks, you'd nearly think he's hoping to find a moaner!

Went for a drive around the northern tie in roadworks. I can honestly see no evidence of works for a parallel route from junction 17-18 unless they plan to use the small road to the west of the n11 in the future.
    I would imagine that as mention before the r772 is the alternative route linking the major towns as opposed to following the exiting route. Strange then that hill out of rathnew was built to such high standards

To follow the R772 after passing through the town of Newtownmountkennedy (southbound) you must take an unsigned right-turn into a local road; then after climbing nearly 2 km, there is an unmarked left turn into a single-track local access road which takes you downhill for a kilometre, under the new N11, to join the bypassed former N11. This must be the most bizarre stretch of regional road in the country.

From the Wikipedia article on the R772! I guess things won't change :confused:

• Advertisement

From the Wikipedia article on the R772! I guess things won't change :confused:

Except at that point the n11 isn't motorway so you could also easily drive between junctions 13 & 14.

Except at that point the n11 isn't motorway so you could also easily drive between junctions 13 & 14.

Not so easy heading South if you miss the left turn off the road at Newcastle!

Not so easy heading South if you miss the left turn off the road at Newcastle!

True, just aswell as the sign posting is so good in this country :pac:

True, just aswell as the sign posting is so good in this country :pac:

Yep - and it is especially good on non-national roads in County Wicklow.

The only place you'll see the section of R772 mentioned is on a map. There are no signs indicating its existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Tarmac going down on section of new road along Arklow rugby club

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yep - and it is especially good on non-national roads in County Wicklow.

The only place you'll see the section of R772 mentioned is on a map. There are no signs indicating its existence.

I don't think it actually is the R772 - the route is defined by legislation, not Wikipedia or GMaps.

In reality, if you want to drive from Newtown to Ashford avoiding the N11 you're better off staying on the first local road and not turning left down the hill to go under the N11. That local road is probably good enough to be an R road and they could upgrade the N11 to motorway between J12 and J14 (as there are no local accesses on the Newtown bypass and the road is high quality):

https://goo.gl/maps/WNYOf

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't think it actually is the R772 - the route is defined by legislation, not Wikipedia or GMaps.

In reality, if you want to drive from Newtown to Ashford avoiding the N11 you're better off staying on the first local road and not turning left down the hill to go under the N11. That local road is probably good enough to be an R road and they could upgrade the N11 to motorway between J12 and J14 (as there are no local accesses on the Newtown bypass and the road is high quality):

The route you have shown on the map is using mostly DC....can you highlight the alternative route you were talking about? If this is viable, they could just widen it and make ir R standard, and , as you say, re-designate this section motorway.

loyatemu wrote: »

The local road is good until the left turn, after this is gets quite steep, narrow and windy. Would need a lot of work to get it to regional status.
    Just noticed this on an app I use, it's not down on google maps like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just noticed this on an app I use, it's not down on google maps like this.
    That's Viewranger if I'm not mistaken and it's displaying the Open Street Map maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Alun wrote: »
    That's Viewranger if I'm not mistaken and it's displaying the Open Street Map maps.

Yes, that's OSM map data. The road numbering on OSM tends to be from a mixture of ground truth (what's on the sign) and the legal instruments that define the routes (important where signs are absent, old or just plain wrong).

Advertisement