Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jvan wrote: »
    The local road is good until the left turn, after this is gets quite steep, narrow and windy. Would need a lot of work to get it to regional status.
    Just noticed this on an app I use, it's not down on google maps like this.

I'm suggesting not using the left turn - just continue straight on. Not sure why you can't see the route on my link, here's a screen grab:

352850.png

Most of the route is already R road, the bit in between is not a great road, but it's wide enough for 2 cars to pass which makes as good as many R roads.

Regardless of whether there is a direct route, there's nowhere that can't be reached by local roads and there are no houses or businesses that open directly onto the N11 between J12 and J14. Possibly there are some fields, but I don't recall ever seeing a tractor on that section...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm suggesting not using the left turn - just continue straight on. Not sure why you can't see the route on my link, here's a screen grab.

I think it would be easier to upgrade the road to the left down to the n11 as if you continue straight on it really does get very steep and narrow, would be a nightmare for larger vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Eastcoast radio saying this morning it's only a few weeks away from opening. I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

RAFA B wrote: »
    Eastcoast radio saying this morning it's only a few weeks away from opening. I wonder.

Was just about to post the same. Everything is really pointing to an opening on or before the August bank holiday.

Was just about to post the same. Everything is really pointing to an opening on or before the August bank holiday.

Yes hope so. Seems like there is still a bit to do but you sort of forget the work they get through at this time of year in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not sure if it's been asked before, but will the speed limit at the Gorey Service Area on/off remain at 80kph until they are opened?
    Are all the works finished and is it just the contractual side of things that are delaying the opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

josip wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been asked before, but will the speed limit at the Gorey Service Area on/off remain at 80kph until they are opened?
    Are all the works finished and is it just the contractual side of things that are delaying the opening?

Like, it's being followed there, check your speedo next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

When I was heading down on Saturday night I thought the 80 was gone. But on the way back up on Sunday it was still in place, at least on the northbound carriageway.

My speedo varies between 90 and 125 depending on the time and the level of cover I have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I don't think it actually is the R772 - the route is defined by legislation, not Wikipedia or GMaps.

What does the legislation say?

• Advertisement

When I was heading down on Saturday night I thought the 80 was gone. But on the way back up on Sunday it was still in place, at least on the northbound carriageway.

My speedo varies between 90 and 125 depending on the time and the level of cover I have.
    I suspect many of those speed signs do not have the appropriate county council approval and are very suspect

Legislation does not determine specific routes

BoatMad wrote: »
    Legislation does not determine specific routes

The other chap said it does! So what determines the apparently bizarre route of the R772 (southbound only, another oddity)? :confused:

The other chap said it does! So what determines the apparently bizarre route of the R772 (southbound only, another oddity)? :confused:

Legislation allows routes to designated by relevant authorities under powers devolved from the relevant minister. It does not specify what designations are what or what routes they apply to.

That's a function of the county councils by and large

Some tarmac going down on new slip road at rathnew tie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

I was saw the slip road today a huge amount of work done today. They were still working on the road at 8 this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Here's the latest version I'm aware of.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0054.html

mackerski wrote: »
    Here's the latest version I'm aware of.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0054.html
    R772

Newtownmountkennedy, Ashford, Rathnew and Arklow, County Wicklow — Gorey, County Wexford (Part old National Route 11)

Between its junction with N11 at Mount Kennedy Demesne and its junction with N11 at Killadreenan via Newtownmountkennedy all in the county of Wicklow

and

between its junction with N11 at Kilmartin and its junction with N11 at Ballynabarny via Ashford, Rosanna and Rathnew all in the county of Wicklow.

and

between its junction with N11 at Templerainy in the county of Wicklow and its junction with N11 at Ballinclay in the county of Wexford via Ferrybank, Arklow Bridge, Bridge Street, Main Street, Parade Ground, Upper Main Street and Wexford Road in the town of Arklow: Money Little and Kish in the county of Wicklow: Scarnagh Lower, Tinnock Lower, Toberduff, Clonatin Lower; Arklow Road, Main Street and McCurtain Street in the town of Gorey; Coolishal Lower and and Churchtown in the county of Wexford.

so it's non-continuous and AFAICS does not include the narrow section at Kiltimon discussed earlier. Someone could edit Wikipedia, but really, who cares.

Noticed last night that road markings etc are all done at the Arklow end before the link up so I am starting to think the road may well afterall be open within a month.

so it's non-continuous and AFAICS does not include the narrow section at Kiltimon discussed earlier. Someone could edit Wikipedia, but really, who cares.

You understand that SIs are not legislation, as I said road numbering is the within the purview of the Minister , enabled by the relevant legislation, the main contributors are in fact the county council , or do you think Leo made all this up on his own.

• Advertisement

You understand that SIs are not legislation, as I said road numbering is the within the purview of the Minister , enabled by the relevant legislation, the main contributors are in fact the county council , or do you think Leo made all this up on his own.

of course the council draw up the route. my point is the SI says that particular route is non-continuous, as do the signposts on the road itself. Just because somebody on Wikipedia decided to make up their own route, doesn't make it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Yes the 80kph speed limit signs are gone southbound, but not northbound... not sure if this is an omission or for a reason though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

Getting Close now:cool:
    Fine Gael TD for Wicklow/East Carlow, Andrew Doyle, has welcomed the continued and consistent deadlines that have been met by BAM and the Department of Transport in order to complete the upgrade between Rathnew and Arklow. “The opening ceremony will likely be two months ahead of schedule in mid July”, said Doyle.

“Deadlines have thankfully been met, with the N11 upgrade, by BAM and the Department of Transport in order to complete the upgrade between Rathnew and Arklow

The opening ceremony is due to take place in mid-July, two months ahead of schedule which is good news for those who commute to & from Dublin as it will cut at least ten minutes from the journey” concluded Doyle.

http://www.wicklownews.net/2015/06/n11-upgrade-to-be-completed-in-july-2015-doyle/

Also baby vickers was born sat night mammy and baby doing great:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Statutory Instruments (SIs) are legislation. They are secondary legislation drawn up on foot of primary legislation (Acts, Statutes). If you think they're not, try breaking a regulation that's enacted by an SI...

of course the council draw up the route. my point is the SI says that particular route is non-continuous, as do the signposts on the road itself. Just because somebody on Wikipedia decided to make up their own route, doesn't make it so.

Not just on wiki - it is also on openstreetmap, maybe other maps as well. The SI description does not accurately fit any possible route.

Before joining/leaving the N11 south of Newtown the R772 must split into separate roads in order to join the very staggered junction with the N11. In fact only one half of each of these separate roads can be R772; northbound in one case and southbound in the other.

A lot of signage erected between scratenagh and Jack whites section as of this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

A lot of signage erected between scratenagh and Jack whites section as of this morning.

Drove up northbound yesterday and it's looking well, tentatively close to opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

jvan wrote: »
    Drove up northbound yesterday and it's looking well, tentatively close to opening.

Its opening Mon 13th Jul.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

tradtshirt wrote: »
    Its opening Mon 13th Jul.

Inside knowledge or guess?

• Advertisement

Wicklownews.net had that article up on their facebook page last night and I saw a fella posting July 13th but I don't know if he knew or was just guessing from the mid-July comment from the article. I also noticed the signage between Jack Whites and Arklow this morning.

Advertisement