Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

New road layout not in effect at 7am anyway.

I'd say it will be Wednesday at earliest before the diversion will be in place

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

I noticed no workers at all on the road this morning. The last few weeks they have been there since around half six.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Not too happy about the new rest area - we should be eliminating these when there is an MSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

spacetweek wrote: »
    Not too happy about the new rest area - we should be eliminating these when there is an MSA.

Is it possible this is for the big joint Garda/RSA/customs checkpoints?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭vickers209

jvan wrote: »

Maybe so the yellow line continued on straight rather than a broken line which suggests there might be no entry or a barrier placed across the entrance.

There is also one heading south one too just past that location

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

jvan wrote: »

For the customs I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Any update on the detour which was meant to start from today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

secman wrote: »
    Any update on the detour which was meant to start from today ?

Lot of work going on at 9pm. Detour will be active in the morning I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

New layout now in operation. Very slow, stop start to rugby club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Stop start was gone by the time I got there (just before 7). I can see that Arklow north roundabout being an absolute nightmare for the next couple of weeks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I hit the roundabout around 7.20. It was moving, but slowly. In fact the entire stretch to the bee hive seemed slower than usual this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

The darkest hour is before the dawn...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Big delays heading south past the Rudby club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Broken down truck. Hope it's cleared shortly or rush hour will be chaos.

Hard to see from the new road, but work at the arklow tie in seems limited enough. Big work at northern end though.

Very hard to see it all being completed in under two weeks.

Doesn't seem much to be done at arklow end last layer of tarmac and line painting to be done and central barrier.

Northern end i read somewhere that traffic will be shifted left to allow the southbound lane to be joined in onto new motorway this weekend.

All along they seem to be putting final touches in place.

They where replacing signs along rathnew bypass before exit 17 today.

Anyone know why exit 17 was closed the on-ramp heading south and off ramp heading north?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

vickers209 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem much to be done at arklow end last layer of tarmac and line painting to be done and central barrier.

Northern end i read somewhere that traffic will be shifted left to allow the southbound lane to be joined in onto new motorway this weekend.

Anyone know why exit 17 was closed the on-ramp heading south and off ramp heading north?

Yes agree there really doesn’t seem a big job at the Arklow end and it can be underestimated how much can be done in a day or two. I was wondering if the Beehive section isn’t finished by the 13th would they not open it anyway and just divert the traffic off at the junction for the Beehive and then back down onto the single lane that are doing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

vickers209 wrote: »

Possibly new signs too?

RAFA B wrote: »

Yes agree there really doesn’t seem a big job at the Arklow end and it can be underestimated how much can be done in a day or two. I was wondering if the Beehive section isn’t finished by the 13th would they not open it anyway and just divert the traffic off at the junction for the Beehive and then back down onto the single lane that are doing now.

In theory they could but the on ramp is just past the beehive and traffic turning on to it would have to stop for any traffic heading northbound.

Id say there will be a big push to have all done by the week of the 13th.

Also anyone notice the services/Emergency entrances/exits one at the bends one at Kilmurray Over-bridge and one either side of Scratenagh Over-bridge is there really a need for so many emergency exits/entrances

I noticed those entrances and exits too. Wondered what they were for.

• Advertisement

Wicklow TD Billy Timmins replied on Facebook to a question asking when the road would be open.
    ... looks like it maybe 13th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I still see no motorway junction approach lighting , like the big overheads elsewhere. Funny ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

BoatMad wrote: »
    I still see no motorway junction approach lighting , like the big overheads elsewhere. Funny ?
    This may explain it
    http://www.thejournal.ie/motorway-lights-off-1999393-Mar2015/

The lights are being turned off to improve energy efficiency and to cut down on costs, O’Neill said.
    “There’s just unnecessary lighting on road networks throughout Europe and in particular here in Ireland.”
    So…
    Yeah, that’s exactly what’s going on, it’s a cost saving mechanism.
    Speaking to us afterwards, O’Neill explained that the lights in question were around junctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

jd wrote: »

So much for safety then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

So much for safety then

most cars have lights already attached to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

loyatemu wrote: »
    most cars have lights already attached to them.
    Yeah, in fairness what would be the volume of traffic on these junctions between midnight and 5AM?

There might be (some) traffic on the road, but I'd guess that'd mainly be trucks heading to Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Wicklow TD Billy Timmins replied on Facebook to a question asking when the road would be open.

He wouldn't be the brightest bollard on the road. :rolleyes:

N11 single carriageway between Lil Doyle’s and the Beehive from 7pm tonight

Posted by: WicklowNews.net in Latest News July 3, 2015

Wicklow County Council wish to advise motorists that Traffic Management will be in place on the N11 single carriageway between Lil Doyle’s and the Beehive from 7pm on Friday 3rd July 2015 until 6am Saturday morning, 4th July, to facilitate grass cutting other essential maintenance works.

Northbound N11 traffic will be diverted off the N11 at the Tap and will rejoin at the new western roundabout at the Beehive for the duration of the works.

N11 Southbound traffic will be unaffected but should take extra caution for works vehicles and operatives especially as the works will be taking place during the hours of darkness.

A Traffic Management system will be in operation for the duration of the works.

Wicklow County Council wish to apologise for any inconvenience that may be caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So much for safety then

Nothing unsafe about not having lights at junctions as all the vehicles have headlights and combined with reflective signs and cat's eyes, it will be perfectly safe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

murpho999 wrote: »
    Nothing unsafe about not having lights at junctions as all the vehicles have headlights and combined with reflective signs and cat's eyes, it will be perfectly safe.
    Agreed - turning off lights on the mainline is fine but I don't agree about junctions.

Advertisement