Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

I take it won't actually open on Monday until lunchtime or after?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

jd wrote: »
    I haven't been back home for a while to look at the works, but if R772 is not continuous at Northern end it gets a bit messy for an alternative route. Heading south on R772 at Rathnew would you head in towards Wicklow on the R750, then turn back towards Beehive on the R751? That would be 3 different regional roads on a (presumably sign posted) alternative route :) .

Thinking about this, the bit I quoted in post above was from when the scheme wasn't going to be motorway. So maybe what will happen is those bits of the R750 and R751 will be redesignated as R772.
    Probably the simplest thing to do
    Looking at this sign below it looks like portions of road I mentioned above will be renumbered
    1779678_10153009015270878_7061232951517891489_n.jpg?oh=ae08bd7c11494568c4dab27b3a4ebbdc&oe=5631DDE7

352606.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

illustrates that J17 now becomes largely pointless - Dublin->Wicklow traffic will use J16 and Wexford->Wicklow will use the new J18; but that's the price of developing motorways in a piecemeal fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

IMAG0904_zpsu8jokmj4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭prunudo

jvan wrote: »
    "The new dual carriageway will be constructed over a period of 28 months with an expected completion date of August 2015."

I drove south as far as Lil Doyle's on Saturday, I'm still amazed by the lack of earthworks, there's no real shape that I can make out.
    To have it open in 16 months seems like a massive task.

Just shows what I know :pac:

I have to say the speed of progress especially over the last 8 months has been outstanding. Fair play to all involved with the construction because they have certainly pulled out all the stops.
    Looking forward to finally driving the new road, looks like a great stretch of road.

• Advertisement

From what I could observe this evening, at the northern tie in the final layer of tarmac was going down.

At the arklow end road markings were being applied. Also they were putting a concrete median between the northern side and the rugby club where the new motorway and road run close to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

I am really looking forward to the evenings and getting home earlier!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

jd wrote:
    Looking at this sign below it looks like portions of road I mentioned above will be renumbered

Presumably any rerouted R772 could use the new road on the East of Wicklow rather than running all the way into town.

354742.png

Arklow tie in looking very complete this morning bar some rumble around the new concrete median between the motorway and rugby club road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Arklow tie in looking very complete this morning bar some rumble around the new concrete median between the motorway and rugby club road.

Royal? :pac:

• Advertisement

There will be a royal rumble on Monday afternoon if this motorway doesn't open!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

The northern tie in is looking just about finished, cats eyes were being put down and they were cleaning up.

I would have thought though that there would have been some sort of barrier at the slip.

The stage is up just after the Beehive for the opening

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Anyone wanna take any photos before she opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Have heard the official opening is 2.30pm on Monday...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Hopefully my last slow crawl home on a Friday :D Nearly 2 hours tonight. I won't miss it, that's for sure... Pours a nice glass of vino.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

When last did we open a new stretch of Motorway? Was it Portlaoise - Urlingford? Circa 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'll be waiting at the cones....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Subpopulus wrote: »
    When last did we open a new stretch of Motorway? Was it Portlaoise - Urlingford? Circa 2010?

Wasn't it that stretch of the M7 that goes through the bog in Co. Tipp?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I think so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

It was the M18 Ennis-Gort.

• Advertisement

Official Opening at 3 tomorrow. Expected to open to traffic at 5. I normally hit the bee hive at 5.30 so hopefully it's open for then!

http://www.wicklownews.net/2015/07/m11-to-open-to-traffic-on-monday-afternoon/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Someone completed it a day early on OSM :D They couldn't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Someone completed it a day early on OSM :D They couldn't wait!

The commit message explains why...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

loyatemu wrote: »
    illustrates that J17 now becomes largely pointless - Dublin->Wicklow traffic will use J16 and Wexford->Wicklow will use the new J18; but that's the price of developing motorways in a piecemeal fashion.

J17 is very handy, although it's not used for Wicklow / Rathnew, more for access to Ashtown Lane and Blackhill Road both which had access to the old N11.
    It's a handy rat run for me also when I know the traffic will be heavy heading into Wicklow Town.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

mackerski wrote: »
    The commit message explains why...
    Now someone has the fun job that iis piecing together the alternative route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

marno21 wrote: »
    Now someone has the fun job that iis piecing together the alternative route

I've already done that for what seems like the only plausible R772 routing between J18 and Arklow. The apparent rerouting via Wicklow of the rest of it along with that section being renumbered L1100 I could do with a bit of help with - who can witness (georeferenced photos would be perfect) the changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    J17 is very handy, although it's not used for Wicklow / Rathnew, more for access to Ashtown Lane and Blackhill Road both which had access to the old N11.
    It's a handy rat run for me also when I know the traffic will be heavy heading into Wicklow Town.

Handy for you, ok - I suspect there will be very little traffic using it overall after tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

loyatemu wrote: »
    Handy for you, ok - I suspect there will be very little traffic using it overall after tomorrow.

I can't see what changes tomorrow, the same people who use it today will use it tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

So, will it be open first thing tomorrow or will the road be blocked till afternoon to facilitate some pathetic politician's photo op? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

So, will it be open first thing tomorrow or will the road be blocked till afternoon to facilitate some pathetic politician's photo op? :mad:
    5pm tomorrow has been mooted. Surely no point in opening it after rush hour southbound?

Advertisement