Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

AMEN!😊😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,473 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

josip wrote: »
    What a f****g circus this is.
    The road is finally ready to replace a section of road where there have been many fatalities.
    Every day's delay costs productivity at an individual and national level.
    Yet instead of ending the suffering of thousands, a day of fun is had by politicians of all levels, jaded news hacks looking for an easy soundbite and column inches, and C-list celebs looking for any bit of free publicity.

Ah go way out of that.

You're ignoring the fact that it's open about 2 month's ahead of schedule and opening ceremonies are completely normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Venetian

On bus southbound this evening. Silence descended as we made our way down the new tarmac, coasting by the Beehive, the bends, and barndarrig. Then we were brought back to reality as Irishness kicked in - the bus left the beautiful new road at Jack Whites in order to service rural stops, only rejoining the motorway at Arklow North. At least the old road was quiet, so not much time lost. Nevertheless, a very unsatisfying realisation of a long awaited day.

On bus southbound this evening. Silence descended as we made our way down the new tarmac, coasting by the Beehive, the bends, and barndarrig. Then we were brought back to reality as Irishness kicked in - the bus left the beautiful new road at Jack Whites in order to service rural stops, only rejoining the motorway at Arklow North. At least the old road was quiet, so not much time lost. Nevertheless, a very unsatisfying realisation of a long awaited day.

How is that Irishness? Do you expect people who use the bus to wait on a motorway?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is it "Irishness" because a bus has to stop at bus stops?
    Lot of melodrama on this thread today.

Thrilled the road opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

The lads looking after OpenStreetMap don't hang around do they?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Is it "Irishness" because a bus has to stop at bus stops?
    Lot of melodrama on this thread today.

Thrilled the road opened.

Only in Ireland could a bus to the city conspire to avoid using the majority of a new section of motorway, just to stop at countryside crossroads. Lots of Irishness on this thread today.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

I was in the first cavalry charge to go down the shiny new road this afternoon. Once past the ironic queue to get from the old motorway to the new, I absolutely loved it.

Well done to the crews for getting it open a couple of months early. Well done to the designers for overcoming some tricky obstacles and reworking the existing junctions to produce something much better and safer. Well done to the management for keeping the wheels moving (albeit slowly) throughout the project.

I won't miss the old road at all. I will enjoy the new one greatly. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Just went on a 'tourist' spin from southbound from J16.
    Lovely stretch of road and will be nicer when the greenery matures.
    Only feedback is that they really should have figured out a way to have a southbound tie from the Marlton Road - unless I'm missing something obvious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Only feedback is that they really should have figured out a way to have a southbound tie from the Marlton Road - unless I'm missing something obvious!

Do you mean at the Beehive? They do, but not from a roundabout

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/52.9520/-6.0961

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

It was a great spin down today glad the two years of road works are over and no more Friday evening queues at the beehive !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

This is the licenced route of the bus and people travelled up that way this morning. Do you expect the route to the bus to change without notice at whatever time the road happened to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

jd wrote: »
    Do you mean at the Beehive? They do, but not from a roundabout

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/52.9520/-6.0961

Missed that cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ah go way out of that.

You're ignoring the fact that it's open about 2 month's ahead of schedule and opening ceremonies are completely normal.

2 months ahead of which revised schedule?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2339500&postcount=1

And it would be nice if the opening ceremony had more of the lads in hard hats and high viz than the lads with the hard necks looking for high viz.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

marno21 wrote: »
    How long does it usually take the new motorways to appear on Google maps?

I use the Waze app. The new road was on it this morning.

Fantastic drive home this evening, the new stretch is a nice drive, the mixture of hills and sweeping bends make it interesting. Not like the Gorey bypass, which to this day is still a monotonous drive

Schedule that counts is when the contracts were signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Has all of the heavy plant been moved to Camolin?

This is the licenced route of the bus and people travelled up that way this morning. Do you expect the route to the bus to change without notice at whatever time the road happened to open?

I did wonder if the pub stops were part of the licence or just opportunist. Do you know for sure? I know the Arklow exiles had to be returned to their cars at JW's today, but going forward, a bus should not be made do a detour off the main road to pick up one or two people. Why inconvenience 50 people a few minutes rather than force the one or two to travel to the nearest urban stop. We are supposed to be encouraging people out of their cars, but countryside detours don't help the cause.

2 months ahead of which revised schedule?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2339500&postcount=1

And it would be nice if the opening ceremony had more of the lads in hard hats and high viz than the lads with the hard necks looking for high viz.

You are reffering to planning and financing issues delayed this.

Of course the economic crash delayed it as well.

Point is from the time construction started that it has come in two months ahead of schedule and you should just be grateful for that and enjoy using the road.

Perhaps you'll be more suited to commenting on The Journal article about it. Bunch of miserable whingers there in the comments section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Drove up from Rosslare this evening. This new piece of motorway is vey pleasant - attractive the way it winds its way through rolling countryside. And so smoooooooth! Great to have it open.

Anyone know why the service stop south of Arklow hasn't opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

ardmacha wrote: »
    prove it on youtube, or it didn't happen!

...here yis go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Anyone know why the service stop south of Arklow hasn't opened?[/quote]

The Base build is long finished. Topaz are going in there and they have yet to do their specific fit out. Heard it will most likely be Autumn before it opens.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

slickmcvic wrote: »
    ...her yis go!

Great video lad, top notch coverage of the new road. Nice song choce as well ;)

Fair play to BAM, road looks absolutely top notch, especially the signage bar one green Welcome to BAM M11 PPP near exit 20

Another video of the new road that came up after I watched the above:

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bunch of miserable whingers there in the comments section.
    Not me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Subpopulus wrote: »
    The lads looking after OpenStreetMap don't hang around do they?

That's because it only needs one of us to get the finger out. The more people get involved, the better the map is maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Where's the clip of the road gone ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I came back from Waterford via the N11 tonight - just to see the new road. Some observations:

* I'm as cynical as any about politicians at opening ceremonies but at least we had a load of people who actually seemed happy to be opening a motorway! Looked like fun.

* Was travelling after dark and the quality of the studs on the new road really highlighted the almost complete non-functionality of the studs on older sections; north and south. They seriously need to upgrade the reflectors all along the M11.

* The road surface is smooth as a baby's b*m - and this new section is vastly superior to the Gorey bypass (possibly the worst stretch of M-way in Ireland).

* Great job! Well done to all concerned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I came back from Waterford via the N11 tonight - just to see the new road. Some observations:

* I'm as cynical as any about politicians at opening ceremonies but at least we had a load of people who actually seemed happy to be opening a motorway! Looked like fun.

* Was travelling after dark and the quality of the studs on the new road really highlighted the almost complete non-functionality of the studs on older sections; north and south. They seriously need to upgrade the reflectors all along the M11.

* The road surface is smooth as a baby's b*m - and this new section is vastly superior to the Gorey bypass (possibly the worst stretch of M-way in Ireland).

* Great job! Well done to all concerned :)

I live near gorey and use the motorway bypass regularly. To me it's smother then the arklow bypass which a very funny rough surface. ( also m11/n11 south of bray North )

On holidays at moment , looking forward to driving the new bit

Well done BAM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

For any bus eireann route 2 users out there. I believe BE has a new timetable in with the NTA for approval which effectively removes Jack whites and bee hive as stops, allowing the bus to stay on the motorway.

Advertisement