Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Venetian

For any bus eireann route 2 users out there. I believe BE has a new timetable in with the NTA for approval which effectively removes Jack whites and bee hive as stops, allowing the bus to stay on the motorway.

Wex bus say they are dropping Jack Whites, and presumably the Beehive too. However, the northbound bus has thus morning left the motorway at arklow north, and because of position of bus stop, only rejoined motorway at Jack Whites. I would have expected the arklow stop to be reconfigured to allow bus rejoin at arklow north, but that does not appear to have been the prevailing "logic".

Wex bus say they are dropping Jack Whites, and presumably the Beehive too. However, the northbound bus has thus morning left the motorway at arklow north, and because of position of bus stop, only rejoined motorway at Jack Whites. I would have expected the arklow stop to be reconfigured to allow bus rejoin at arklow north, but that does not appear to have been the prevailing "logic".
    I would expect that the bus operators would have to give notice of any route changes, otherwise they'll have pissed off customers waiting for non-existance buses or not stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Great road. Knocked 20 minutes off my journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 The Venetian

RAFA B wrote: »
    Great road. Knocked 20 minutes off my journey.

I assume you mean off your journey time from during the roadworks. The real measurement is against your journey time before the roadworks?
    I would expect the saving on pre roadworks journey times to be 5 minutes in light traffic, 10-15 minutes on a normal afternoon/evening, and up to 40 minutes on bank holiday Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

OK - having surveyed the new road for OSM, I'm royally confused about the supposed path of the R772. Based on signs on the ground, I've established that it goes:
    • Parallel to the motorway from the Beehive to Arklow North (so far so good)
    • Through Arklow as it did before (yup, makes sense)
    • No longer down the hill to Rathnew, which most, but not all signs now show as L1100. But some of the signs leading you from the Motorway towards Rathnew do still refer to this as R772, including what appear to be some new ones.
    • Perversely, the road/boreen from Arklow North towards Redcross, previously L2172. I call bollocks on this, even though the sign is unequivocal, and the corresponding sign towards the Rugby club (towards the rest of what we know to be the new R772) states no number at all. But there is no way for an R772 heading towards Redcross to somehow link up with the signed R772 south of Jack White's. It appears to be impossible for an Irish road scheme to not make a balls of signage somehow or other.

If any locals can dig deeper on this stuff, fair play. For now I am overruling the clearly bad Redcross sign and staying with the balance of the evidence for the southern route on OSM. I have updated for L1100, but that leaves us with a disconnected stub of R772 that a load of signs still refer to and I couldn't see a signed onward path via Wicklow. I'd love to have this explained.

On a side note, the recent fashion has persisted for undersized end of motorway signs and for placing the start of motorway chopsticks sign half way down the ramp, by which time the driver can no longer react to it in any useful way. Oh dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

mackerski wrote: »
    OK - having surveyed the new road for OSM, I'm royally confused about the supposed path of the R772. Based on signs on the ground, I've established that it goes:
    • No longer down the hill to Rathnew, which most, but not all signs now show as L1100. But some of the signs leading you from the Motorway towards Rathnew do still refer to this as R772, including what appear to be some new ones.
    • Perversely, the road/boreen from Arklow North towards Redcross, previously L2172. I call bollocks on this, even though the sign is unequivocal, and the corresponding sign towards the Rugby club (towards the rest of what we know to be the new R772) states no number at all. But there is no way for an R772 heading towards Redcross to somehow link up with the signed R772 south of Jack White's. It appears to be impossible for an Irish road scheme to not make a balls of signage somehow or other.

If any locals can dig deeper on this stuff, fair play. For now I am overruling the clearly bad Redcross sign and staying with the balance of the evidence for the southern route on OSM. I have updated for L1100, but that leaves us with a disconnected stub of R772 that a load of signs still refer to and I couldn't see a signed onward path via Wicklow. I'd love to have this explained.

On a side note, the recent fashion has persisted for undersized end of motorway signs and for placing the start of motorway chopsticks sign half way down the ramp, by which time the driver can no longer react to it in any useful way. Oh dear.
    I take it that whilst the motorway opened yesterday, the contractor and Wicklow Co Co and NRA will be continuing to snag the areas along the path of the old Road. This presumably will include any signage to be removed , replaced etc.

secman wrote: »
    I take it that whilst the motorway opened yesterday, the contractor and Wicklow Co Co and NRA will be continuing to snag the areas along the path of the old Road. This presumably will include any signage to be removed , replaced etc.

The Redcross sign, though, is newly patched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Gardaí were out on the new stretch today with their speedguns. Laying down a precedent I suppose.

I must say, I didn't quite take in the drive on the way in to work but the way home was an absolute dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Anyone else notice the half-arsed signs for the beehive? They're orange not installed properly on the poles. Wonder are they supposed to be there at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

spacetweek wrote: »
    Can you fix that link?

No, but here's a different one ....

http://cllrjoeryan.blogspot.ie/2011/07/were-on-one-road.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Everyone is saying how smooth this is.

The burning question, is it smoother than the M6 Galway to Ballinasloe? Because thats the benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Very strange about the R772 to redcross has to be a mistake.

As things look from Rathnew end its a complete mess regarding a alternative route to avoid the motorway.

As things stand the R772 will cease at the roundabout in Rathnew village
    From here you take the wicklow road R750 as far as the broomhall lights and take a right currently signposted "other routes" (this road doesn't have a visible number but the other side of it into port is numbered R999).

From broomhall Go up roundabout and go left and follow the road out for about 2km and come to another roundabout go straight through and your on the marlton road R751 follow road for about another 2 km and you arrive at the beehive where you rejoin the R772.

How a non local would know that i have no idea!!
    route outline in map below select 3rd option via R751.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/52.9950019,-6.0821986/The+Beehive,+Wicklow+Town,+Co.+Wicklow/@52.974374,-6.0586239,14z/data=!4m6!4m5!1m0!1m2!1m1!1s0x4867b9c07351c627:0x66038b7917eec6e8!3e0

The R772 out of Rathnew from roundabout should now be R752 towards Rathdrum and the left turn up hill under railway bridge is now L1100.

Its very messy as as it appears the slip off junction 18 onto old road is R772 now despite the face northbound after beehive is now a dead end!

So now the R772 starts in newtown ends south of newtown
    Recommences at coynes cross into ashford and into rathnew where it ends again
    And recommences at the beehive/Delehunts.

That is a absolute mess of a road.
    Whats the chances they would re-number the wicklow road broomhall and marlton road to R772?

vickers209 wrote: »
    How a non local would know that i have no idea!!
    route outline in map below select 3rd option via R751.

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/52.9950019,-6.0821986/The+Beehive,+Wicklow+Town,+Co.+Wicklow/@52.974374,-6.0586239,14z/data=!4m6!4m5!1m0!1m2!1m1!1s0x4867b9c07351c627:0x66038b7917eec6e8!3e0

The R772 out of Rathnew from roundabout should now be R752 towards Rathdrum and the left turn up hill under railway bridge is now L1100.

Quite right, I omitted to split the road when reclassifying the L1100. I haven't looked at your map, since we can't and won't use Google-based maps as a reference for OSM (Google wouldn't like it and it would be incompatible with our licence).

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

I assume you mean off your journey time from during the roadworks. The real measurement is against your journey time before the roadworks?
    I would expect the saving on pre roadworks journey times to be 5 minutes in light traffic, 10-15 minutes on a normal afternoon/evening, and up to 40 minutes on bank holiday Friday.

I've used Google location service for a good few years now. In a couple of weeks time I'll do a year by year comparison of journey times

Quite right, I omitted to split the road when reclassifying the L1100. I haven't looked at your map, since we can't and won't use Google-based maps as a reference for OSM (Google wouldn't like it and it would be incompatible with our licence).

Thanks!

I done same route on osm although i had to choose cycle option to get it up But it same route if it helps.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_bicycle&route=52.9949%2C-6.0822%3B52.9531%2C-6.0948#map=15/52.9530/-6.0803

vickers209 wrote: »
    I done same route on osm although i had to choose cycle option to get it up But it same route if it helps.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/directions?engine=graphhopper_bicycle&route=52.9949%2C-6.0822%3B52.9531%2C-6.0948#map=15/52.9530/-6.0803

Cool. Bike routing is a good way to tell the routing to avoid the motorway. For now, we can't really assume that this route is the R772, since although there are new signs at most junctions, none of them point down these roads (I think - I didn't see any that did anyway).

It's entirely possible that they will allow an R772 gap, of course.

Cool. Bike routing is a good way to tell the routing to avoid the motorway. For now, we can't really assume that this route is the R772, since although there are new signs at most junctions, none of them point down these roads (I think - I didn't see any that did anyway).

It's entirely possible that they will allow an R772 gap, of course.

True and personally i think they wont re number the roads so there would be a gap in the R772.

But the route suggested is the most convenient for non motorway traffic in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

A consideration would be to widen the road from J17 to the town relief road and then the old N11 from Rathew could still be used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

I'm heading down to Wexford Friday so I'll have a look. The R772 goes through Arklow, Gorey, Newtownmountkennedy, Ashford. What would be consistent would be for it go Rathnew-Wicklow-Beehive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

jd wrote: »
    I'm heading down to Wexford Friday so I'll have a look. The R772 goes through Arklow, Gorey, Newtownmountkennedy, Ashford. What would be consistent would be for it go Rathnew-Wicklow-Beehive

though as discussed further up the thread, it's already non-continuous Newtown-Ashford (though you can use the N11 there as it's not motorway yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Have to admit that generally speaking I am not concerned at all at all at all what Road is called what..... looking forward to Friday's spin down.
    I am sure in time that NRA, Wicklow Co Co and BAM will iron out these issues before retention monies are released on the project. At the Newlands cross (other part of same contract )peripheral and ancillary works carried on long after the bridge opened... it's only been 2 days since motorway opened...!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Nice road.
    Certainly saves at least 5 mins heading south from Wicklow to Arklow on quirmet days.

Some nice views driving south, the road isn't as good quality I noticed heading north.... Bumpier.

Annoying how the cars-eyes are inside the painted lines.... Essentially narrowing the lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭d-don

Just passed the beehive going southbound and on the north bound lane a Garda in tr hard shoulder doing speed check with the radar gun ( I can see why he chose the spot as a distance away the cars come around the corner . Now no more than 800 meters back from where the Garda was , is the Garda only ramp!!! Can't be legal surely just parked on hard shoulder with not lights or anything on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

d-don wrote: »
    Can't be legal surely just parked on hard shoulder with not lights or anything on
    Whatever about the legality, it's utterly stupid and dangerous. Gardai aren't immune to the laws of physics, and if it's, rightly, illegal for you and I to park on a motorway hard shoulder because it's dangerous then it should be for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Out of the country at the moment - any word in the speeches or announcements on the Enniscorthy or other projects? Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭badgerbroc11

Waze satvav app showing Camolin to work journey a 52 mins, was 63

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Patww79 wrote: »

Are BAM the preferred tender?

Advertisement