Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

I came back from Arkla' today and tried to follow the R772.

- It is not signposted as an "alternative route" with the yellow background R-road logos.
    - It ceases to exist (heading north) at J18 (Beehive)
    - openstreetmap has it wrong, the road towards Wicklow Town from the Beehive/J18 is signed R773, not R772.
    - there is no "alternative route" unless you go R773; R751; Wicklow Releif Road (an L-road) and R750 before joining the R772 in the middle of Rathnew! (A complete mess :mad:)
    - A few hundred metres of parallel road between J18 and J17 could have provided an R772 alternative.
    - And, of course, this mess is repeated north of Ashford southbound!

And they had 15 years to plan this!

How do you cycle it ? North and South ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Bigus wrote: »
    How do you cycle it ? North and South ?

With great difficulty and danger :mad:

I wouldn't cycle on the road between J18/Beehive and the Wicklow "relief road" if you paid me €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Damn confusing for those trying to travel without using the motorway. They should just redesignate Rathnew->Wicklow->Beehive as R772, it would be somewhat consistent with what happens Gorey-Arklow and Ashford->Rathnew

jd wrote: »
    Damn confusing for those trying to travel without using the motorway. They should just redesignate Rathnew->Wicklow->Beehive as R772, it would be somewhat consistent with what happens Gorey-Arklow and Ashford->Rathnew

Not really, the Ashford and Arklow sections of the R772 where in a direct line and part of the old N11.

Wicklow is a detour and was never on the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

- openstreetmap has it wrong, the road towards Wicklow Town from the Beehive/J18 is signed R773, not R772.

I was ready to get offended at this claim, because, assuming you mean this road, I knew for sure that OSM was correct. But indeed, another mapper had changed it to R772, presumably as an educated guess for a motorway alternative route. I've changed it back to R751 (not R773) as that's what this route was always numbered and one of the brand new (not updated) signs agrees:

http://www.mapillary.com/map/im/9zlFwxqo_PHlTFqPNmtw_g

(You can zoom the map)

Where did you see it called R773? Based on what I've seen, I wouldn't rule out inconsistent signs...

• Advertisement

mackerski wrote: »

Where did you see it called R773?

On signposts at the Beehive/J18...I think (you are sowing a doubt in my mind.....)

On signposts at the Beehive/J18...I think (you are sowing a doubt in my mind.....)

R773 runs from the Jack White's junction to Brittas Bay. But you are fundamentally correct, the Wicklow road was incorrect.

mackerski wrote: »
    R773 runs from the Jack White's junction to Brittas Bay. But you are fundamentally correct, the Wicklow road was incorrect.

Yeah, then the signs at the Beehive said road to Wicklow is R751, my mistake - I noted that it wasn't R772 for sure.

Yeah, then the signs at the Beehive said road to Wicklow is R751, my mistake - I noted that it wasn't R772 for sure.

All's well, then, I fixed the map!

Not really, the Ashford and Arklow sections of the R772 where in a direct line and part of the old N11.

Wicklow is a detour and was never on the N11.
    I know, but if they are not going to build something between J17 and J18 it might be the best option - at least it would be a continuous route on fairly reasonable roads

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I agree it's a mess of numbering, but it's clear that the non-motorway route for traffic is to go via Wicklow town.

The use of orange colouring to indicate an ex-N road isn't universal.

spacetweek wrote: »

?? I thought orange is for roadworks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its yellow for ex-N roads, when used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

I agree it's a mess of numbering, but it's clear that the non-motorway route for traffic is to go via Wicklow town.

It would be clear for a local who knows the area but for a non local it wouldn't be clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

vickers209 wrote: »
    It would be clear for a local who knows the area but for a non local it wouldn't be clear

any non-local trying to go a long distance on non-N roads would need a map or satnav anyway. How many people are likely to try to drive from Dublin to Wexford avoiding the motorway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

We're not talking about along distance here, its only from the top of Rathnew Hill to the Beehive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

We're not talking about along distance here, its only from the top of Rathnew Hill to the Beehive

So are you looking for signposting in Rathnew for the Beehive specifically?

You'd be surprised the number of people that don't like motorways.
    We should keep things simple - to avoid the motorway take the R772,
    not
    - take the R772, except at the Beehive take the R751, then the R750 in Wicklow to rejoin the R772 in Rathnew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

jd wrote: »
    You'd be surprised the number of people that don't like motorways.
    We should keep things simple - to avoid the motorway take the R772,
    not
    - take the R772, except at the Beehive take the R751, then the R750 in Wicklow to rejoin the R772 in Rathnew

Try taking the non-motorway alternative to the A1 (M) from Newcastle/Gateshead to Leeds. A good chunk of it is the A167 (the old, mostly single-carriageway, some dual-carriageway A1) but that route doesn't bring you all the way to Leeds and there isn't one clearly signed and numbered non-motorway alternative route instead of the A1 (M)/A1 south of its junction with the M1.

For all the cribbing that's done here, the Irish authorities have managed to introduce a very sensible system whereby the old national routes are now largely signposted as regional routes, with these regional routes extending for the greater part of the distance along the former national routes.

That is not the case in the UK where there is no clearly signed alternative to motorways along many routes extending to nearly the entire length of the route, and a large chunk of the A5 (the old, non-motorway alternative for traffic from London to Birmingham, then west towards Holyhead) has disappeared from signposts with a huge gap in the A5 numbering between the northern edge of London and Bedfordshire.

If you look at the M74/A74 (M) in Scotland you'll find much the same (along with a route that has two numbers depending on which section you're on!).

There's too much moaning on this site and too little realisation that Ireland is actually way ahead of many other countries when it comes to road numbering.

Count yere blessings and quit moaning the whole time. Or else! :D

• Advertisement

Ah now, I'm not moaning the whole time - far from it. I just think this is a small little thing that could be rectified pretty easily.

For all the cribbing that's done here, the Irish authorities have managed to introduce a very sensible system whereby the old national routes are now largely signposted as regional routes, with these regional routes extending for the greater part of the distance along the former national routes.

The UK road numbering system is daft and chaotic - not an excuse for us with a much simpler network not to get it consistently right.

The LA/NRA between them, by any standard, have done a terrible job in terms of creating/signposting/"branding" the alternative route to the M11 between NTMK and the Beehive.

We should not accept that just because some things are worse somewhere else. :mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Try taking the non-motorway alternative to the A1 (M) from Newcastle/Gateshead to Leeds. A good chunk of it is the A167 (the old, mostly single-carriageway, some dual-carriageway A1) but that route doesn't bring you all the way to Leeds and there isn't one clearly signed and numbered non-motorway alternative route instead of the A1 (M)/A1 south of its junction with the M1.

That is not the case in the UK where there is no clearly signed alternative to motorways along many routes extending to nearly the entire length of the route, and a large chunk of the A5 (the old, non-motorway alternative for traffic from London to Birmingham, then west towards Holyhead) has disappeared from signposts with a huge gap in the A5 numbering between the northern edge of London and Bedfordshire.

If you look at the M74/A74 (M) in Scotland you'll find much the same (along with a route that has two numbers depending on which section you're on!).

There's too much moaning on this site and too little realisation that Ireland is actually way ahead of many other countries when it comes to road numbering.

It's gas that our signage of alternative routes is so good when we have a motorway network regularly filled with pedestrians, cyclists and tractors, and nothing done about it either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

With great difficulty and danger :mad:

I wouldn't cycle on the road between J18/Beehive and the Wicklow "relief road" if you paid me €100.

Seriously? Do you mean the Marlton Rd?
    I've ran and cycled that road hundreds of times without any issues!

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Seriously? Do you mean the Marlton Rd?
    I've ran and cycled that road hundreds of times without any issues!

If that is that R751, then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

If that is that R751, then yes.

What gives you the impression that it's dangerous?
    Plenty of cycling activity on it.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    What gives you the impression that it's dangerous?
    Plenty of cycling activity on it.

From a car driver perspective it is winding, narrow and (certainly at the moment) the hedges are, in typical Wickla Co Co fashion, completely unkempt and overgrown ruining any sight-lines such as there are.

You have no idea how much you depend on hyper-attentive drivers like me for your continued health ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    It's gas that our signage of alternative routes is so good when we have a motorway network regularly filled with pedestrians, cyclists and tractors, and nothing done about it either
    Pure nonsense.

Pure nonsense.

But there are a fair lot of tractors on some stretches....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

But there are a fair lot of tractors on some stretches....

I thought the faster tractor types were allowed on the motorway.

Advertisement