Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow to Rathnew

Options
1555657585961»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I had a good look at the weekend. The paint is definitely old, pre m11 vintage.

I'd say it's a sop to the shopkeepers who were against the bypass for years

Are you referring to the southbound arrows in the travelling lane at the two Arklow exits?

They look refreshed to me (surely not 15 years old??) but I will concede I didn't stop and examine them! :)

Anyway they should be removed; per the "rules of the Road" they are saying the inside travelling lane is in fact the off-ramp.

I remember phoning the NRA about 10 yrears ago after seeing a near accident when a car suddenly pulled out at the arrows...the person I got told me that "people tend to miss the exit so don't expect any change soon".

I asked why these exits differed from all the other (then existing) exits in the country and got no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Nearly 10 months on and the road feels like its always been there now

Hard to imagine having to travel along the old road again.

Noticed quite a dip in the road past jack whites where road seems to have sunk into a smaĺl vally or something they have warning signs before you hit it.

What will need to be done to repair this quick fill of tar over or will road need to be dug up and founditions strengthen?

Also the council over last few weeks have been slowly updating road signage on the R750 marlton road to its new R772 status might be complete before the bypass is 1 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

one observation on this road - it is incredibly quiet to drive on compared to the sections on either side, virtually no road noise at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

vickers209 wrote: »
    Nearly 10 months on and the road feels like its always been there now

Hard to imagine having to travel along the old road again.

Noticed quite a dip in the road past jack whites where road seems to have sunk into a smaĺl vally or something they have warning signs before you hit it.

What will need to be done to repair this quick fill of tar over or will road need to be dug up and founditions strengthen?

Also the council over last few weeks have been slowly updating road signage on the R750 marlton road to its new R772 status might be complete before the bypass is 1 year old.

why are they changing the road distinction

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

hdowney wrote: »
    why are they changing the road distinction

They want the alternative route for the M11 to be the R772 along its length rather than different designations as that would confuse people not used to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Good enough reason

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

In the new or old road?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

It's on the new road. Seems to be sinking quite a lot in the overtaking lane. It's spread to the other lane too but not as bad.
    It's almost like they had some sort of run off pipe under the road that has collapsed.
    I can see them forcing us out onto the old road to fix it whenever they do get around to it. I guess it depends what the actual problem is though. Hopefully some common sense will have it when the schools are off and possibly working at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Motorway was closed between J19 and J20 southbound from approx 5pm yesterday evening. Open again this morning and the "dip" has been repaired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

d31b0y wrote: »
    It's on the new road. Seems to be sinking quite a lot in the overtaking lane. It's spread to the other lane too but not as bad.
    It's almost like they had some sort of run off pipe under the road that has collapsed.

Haven't seen the damage myself, but it sounds very much like some sort of slope failure of the embankment - I'm sure the designer is sh*****g themselves!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Have been in Wicklow a lot in the past 6 months, and been on the old N11 many times. In one way I'm surprised and relieved that these businesses are down so little.
    Don't forget though that Lil Doyles and the Tap are closed completely now too.
    Barndarrig service station never seemed to have more than one or two cars outside it at most. The Beehive is suffering from the fact that junction 18 slip road is so far north of it and you literally can't see the place at all coming south. We stopped in for lunch one day and it was quiet, but food was fine. Very noticable though was that the average age of customers was 60++. (at 1pm)

On an unrelated topic, I wonder what people make of the art installation - butterflies on the bank of the motorway. Am not too sure myself -- they look lovely in the sunshine and from a certain angle, but at other times they are hardly noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Hasnt affected jack whites that much

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lottpaul wrote: »
    Have been in Wicklow a lot in the past 6 months, and been on the old N11 many times. In one way I'm surprised and relieved that these businesses are down so little.
    Don't forget though that Lil Doyles and the Tap are closed completely now too.
    Barndarrig service station never seemed to have more than one or two cars outside it at most. The Beehive is suffering from the fact that junction 18 slip road is so far north of it and you literally can't see the place at all coming south. We stopped in for lunch one day and it was quiet, but food was fine. Very noticable though was that the average age of customers was 60++. (at 1pm)

On an unrelated topic, I wonder what people make of the art installation - butterflies on the bank of the motorway. Am not too sure myself -- they look lovely in the sunshine and from a certain angle, but at other times they are hardly noticable.

Is the tap closed? Isn't it now something else ? Stopped there a few months back,nice place but the service was bad

I like the butterflies can't decide on the hedgehog

Hasnt affected jack whites that much

Agreed - the place seems packed anytime you pass by before 8pm but quieter late at night?
    Ideally placed though for anyone on the M11 -- good distance from Dublin and Wexford and literally just seconds off the main carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭secman

Jack White's seems to do okay as it is on the turn to Brittas bay so it would get good deal of traffic coming off the motorway. Whereas The Beehive doesn't have anything near the amount of traffic coming off at that junction. Traffic going to wicklow town would come off motorway at the junction before Beehive.
    Certainly bad for business but I don't miss the traffic jam at the Beehive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

In my experience, Jack Whites was a pleasant experience and worth going to again, The Beehive was not. Businesses dont just thrive or die on ease of passing traffic. Folk will make the effort to go to Jack Whites. The Beehive needs to significantly up its game before I'd bother to try it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

BigMoose wrote: »
    In my experience, Jack Whites was a pleasant experience and worth going to again, The Beehive was not. Businesses dont just thrive or die on ease of passing traffic. Folk will make the effort to go to Jack Whites. The Beehive needs to significantly up its game before I'd bother to try it again...
    Agree 100% here. I think I stopped in the Beehive maybe once or twice in the last 15 years, and Jack Whites alsways seemed a more appealing proposition afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Beehive back open?

Advertisement