Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish people using the word "Mate"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Use the word "dude" myself.

Hey dude
    Thanks dude
    etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Well according to Perriers Bounty we all say "man" as many times as possible in sentences (if you're a Dub........seeing that it's set in Dublin. Which is why I said that........Effing three pm brainfarting slump!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

The problem here OP is that you dont seem to understand that languages evolve all the time

People used to call each other chara, bet you dont remember that way back.
    Even the word pal was popular in ireland back in the 40s and 50s, son was also a popular word that has gone out of fashion, like garsún etc

If all you've got to complain about is people using the word mate, then you've really got f*ck all to be giving out about, far more important things to be worryin about

I understand that languages evolve, im fairly well travelled and have met a lot of people from diffrent cultures..My point i was trying to make before the PC gang jumped in is of the word "mate" and its overuse now in Ireland, I find it cringeworthy, would an Aussie sound stupid and embarrasing for saying "story bud" ?...yes he/she would...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Seems to be a Dublin thing. I've never heard it used outside of Dublin. I'm not annoyed by it, but I'd feel weird saying the word "mate". It doesn't suit hiberno-english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

it's not as bad as usage of the word "bloke"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

ejmaztec wrote: »
    "You know" at the end of a sentence is 10000 worse than mate, mate.
    God, my brother is DESPERATE for saying that and it drives my up the wall!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Davabo

irish-stew wrote: »
    your right there cheif

Chief*

better sick to dude mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I understand that languages evolve, im fairly well travelled

Booting around in a Glanza?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

I understand that languages evolve, im fairly well travelled and have met a lot of people from diffrent cultures..My point i was trying to make before the PC gang jumped in is of the word "mate" and its overuse now in Ireland, I find it cringeworthy, would an Aussie sound stupid and embarrasing for saying "story bud" ?...yes he/she would...:)

I got a German colleague using the word 'grand' a lot once.

It sounded wrong, but vaguely charming at teh same time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mate and dude are the ****, sheesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

i much prefer using mate or dude to lad or boss.

both are very annoying.

i also use man, cheers man, cheers mate, but will never use boss or lad, both are irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

What is the story with this.... "mate" has only creeped into Irish society in the past few years, I die a little inside when i hear this word being used.

"mate" is for people from the UK or OZ...suddenly us Irish clowns are using it on a daily basis. it is embarrasing

"thanks mate" or "cheers mate" does not lie well with the Irish accent...

Agree. They're usually knackers and pikeys who use this word. The same type of socio-economic group which uses "bud".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Using the word mate can come in useful to diffuse a tense situation. Only the other day I was on the ground being repeatedly kicked by two hostile Dublin gentlemen at my local ATM. When I said "Anywhere but the face, mate!" they promptly moved the focus of their blows to the abdomen and chest areas. Fair play to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've noticed it a bit over on the soccer forum and it really annoys me!

It's not very common in Galway any way and I hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cianor

the_syco wrote: »
    Use the word "dude" myself.

Hey dude
    Thanks dude
    etc.

Dude = (the end of) a camel's penis. At least that was what I was told years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Don't Nordies like "mate", but when they say it, it sounds like "meeyut"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

ye the nordies use it alot, and dubs.. its ok for some reason coming from a nordy but it just sounds stupid coming from one!!

cheers mate!

THANK YOU!!! FÚCK OFFFFF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

We don't be saying mate down in Limerick kid. You'd be sound here.

There's a problem with the way Brummies say it as well, in that you don't know whether they're talking about their friend, or the stuff they get from the local butcher.

No doubt Brummytom will arrive soon to confirm this.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

one i've noticed creeping up more and more recently is buddy,

Found it odd when in the space of a week every second person was saying it to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

I didn't realize as Irish people, we are not allowed say certain words in the English dictionary, OP Do you also believe in to hell or to connaught ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I'd love to have such an easy life that the use of the words 'mate' and 'dude' are problems I have to focus on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I've been hearing 'mate' used a lot too but I don't think I could ever say it without putting on a ridiculous English or Australian accent to go with it.

I'm not sure how long Irish people have been saying the word 'bloke' but I really hate how it sounds and I don't think I'll ever be able to dissociate it from the English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

i don't drive a glanza anymore, my user name is from years ago..smartarse:D

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Its always funny to hear lads talking to other guys that they are obviously not familiar with and using this vocab!
    I hear them call each other "Bud", "Mate", "Chum", "Friend", "Pal" and "Dude".
    With the exception of "Dude" they seem to me to be all brands of dog food!
    Queue new dog food on the market soon............"Dude"!!

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

People say 'dude' all the time and we're not all ninja turtles, how is it any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

What is the story with this.... "mate" has only creeped into Irish society in the past few years, I die a little inside when i hear this word being used.

I hear "mate" used in Northern Ireland (particularly Belfast) all the time. There doesnt seem to be any noticeable difference in the frequency of usage between neighbourhoods where it is generally assumed that the majority of inhabitants would be regarded as Irish versus neighbourhoods where is generally assumed otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There's a problem with the way Brummies say it as well, in that you don't know whether they're talking about their friend, or the stuff they get from the local butcher.

No doubt Brummytom will arrive soon to confirm this.:pac:
    I day now wot yer talkin abowt.

I use the word mate(s) all the time

I agree with the OP, Irish folk shouldn't use the word mate, might as well go and have a lick of the Queen's arse if you do use it.

brummytom wrote: »
    I day now wot yer talkin abowt.

I use the word mate(s) all the time

So, whate kind of mate do you prefer in your sandwiches?:confused:

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Btwndeyes wrote: »
    I didn't realize as Irish people, we are not allowed say certain words in the English dictionary, OP Do you also believe in to hell or to connaught ya?

Connacht, as any actual Irish person would spell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

~~~***~~~:D:D:D~~~***~~~
    M. A. T. E.
    ~~~***~~~:P:P:P~~~***~~~

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

"mate" is for people from the UK or OZ...suddenly us Irish clowns are using it on a daily basis. it is embarrasing

yo dude,

awesome post.

douchebag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Been saying mate and dude around these part for yonks.
    The only word i really dislike is douche but I've only seen that on the net so far thank god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,226 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yea "dude" too, and "awesome" awesome is something the ninja turtles say to each other, not embarrasing irish people
    the irish have embarassed themselves enough on their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Btwndeyes wrote: »

i don't think anyone claimed that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

does nobody in ireland realise its not "mate" its "me auld flower" or "horse"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Anybody that calls me mate is not too far away from losing two front teeth :D It just manages to get under my skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Who gives a fook what people say. OP I think you have more of an issue than those who use the words you hate. No country has exclusive rights to a word and it is pathetic that people get upset about what words others use. I have traveled the world and to be honest I use a a lot of words I picked up abroad as well as the so called Irish ones. Dude and Mate are no worse than Bud in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I wouldn't worry. Soon enough the word "Mate" will become extinct like Gremlins, Elves and Eskimos.

Davabo wrote: »
    Chief*

better sick to dude mate
    Love it when those who point out others misspelling do so themselves :rolleyes:
    cianor wrote: »
    Dude = (the end of) a camel's penis. At least that was what I was told years ago.
    Actually, that's a "dood".
    pmcmahon wrote: »
    does nobody in ireland realise its not "mate" its "me auld flower" or "horse"
    Well, "horse" and "boss" are used by travellers, often used in the same sentence as "do you want to buy a gate".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I don't see the problem.

Language changes, new words enter the common vocabulary, old ones fade away.

Some words people use annoy me, but honestly, I've got bigger worries.

So you don't like us using the word mate?

Ok, DUUUDE! I wouldn't want you to have a cow, MAAAN! Here's a catchphrase you better learn for your adult years; "Hey, buddy, gotta quarter?"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

What about "matey"?

What about "matey"?
    Ahoy matie! How doesth the sea be treating yar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lazyQuestions

used mate once, felt a little uneasy after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

It lies very well with the irish accent, especially if the person is earning a living in the uk or oz. Apparently uk/oz soap opera's are very popular here on Irish tv, hushhh the tv on, every one sits in silence as life in the queen vic is dutifully absorbed and understood.
    Oi! get with it mate!

seensensee wrote: »
    It lies very well with the irish accent, especially if the person is earning a living in the uk or oz. Apparently uk/oz soap opera's are very popular here on Irish tv, hushhh the tv on, every one sits in silence as life in the queen vic is dutifully absorbed and understood.
    Oi! get with it mate!

but we're home here.....not away

*gets coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

shaaane wrote: »
    but we're home here.....not away

*gets coat

Ta tu isteach sa bhaile? In that case surely the compromise is to emphasize
    "mate" with a strong "Irish" accent, but it may get confusing when it comes to choosing which one:D

• I use all the time when out as in "Can I mate with you?".
    just curious hows that line workin out for you? mate?

• Advertisement
Advertisement