Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish people using the word "Mate"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I'd love to have such an easy life that the use of the words 'mate' and 'dude' are problems I have to focus on.
    why does a good old fashioned rant always have to have one of these generic responses in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I was just thinking of this the other day, im hearing it more and more the last year or so, seems to be very popular down here. I kind of like it, it sounds nice in a calm south cork city accent, almost Manchester-like being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

What about "matey"?

Or "Pal"...are we for or against "Pal"?

Just thought I'd run it by the speech police...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

spent a summer in a bookies in edinburgh and was calling everyone 'pal' for a good year after

pal is fine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Only sounds ok in a Dub accent, in the country they nearly pronounce there T's as "Sh" and sounds ridicilous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Only sounds ok in a Dub accent, in the country they nearly pronounce there T's as "Sh" and sounds ridicilous.

what part of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

CHealy wrote: »
    I was just thinking of this the other day, im hearing it more and more the last year or so, seems to be very popular down here. I kind of like it, it sounds nice in a calm south cork city accent, almost Manchester-like being honest.

Manchester England, home of many Irish.
    http://www.irishabroad.com/news/irishpost/featurearticles/ThetoilofIrishancestorshashelpedmakeManchesterahomefromhome220507.asp

I wonder if the OP enjoys English soccer and/or Irish soccer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

dont mind it really. i'm not a big fan of pal though, especially on facebook. "alright pal"
    teh lulz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

seensensee wrote: »
    http://www.irishabroad.com/news/irishpost/featurearticles/ThetoilofIrishancestorshashelpedmakeManchesterahomefromhome220507.asp

Overreact much?

I think the OP's point has more to do with how the word sounds when delivered in some Irish accents than any sort of rabid hatred towards the English/England.

If an Englishman felt other English people using the word begorrah was silly because it sounded forced and disingenuous I'd agree with him. The last thing I'd accuse him of is anti-Irish racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not as bad as some people posting "summit", gob****es! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

What is the story with this.... "mate" has only creeped into Irish society in the past few years, I die a little inside when i hear this word being used.

"mate" is for people from the UK or OZ...suddenly us Irish clowns are using it on a daily basis. it is embarrasing

"thanks mate" or "cheers mate" does not lie well with the Irish accent...

Lol, spot the chap who doesn't have any.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

rubensni wrote: »
    Overreact much?

I think the OP's point has more to do with how the word sounds when delivered in some Irish accents than any sort of rabid hatred towards the English/England.

If an Englishman felt other English people using the word begorrah was silly because it sounded forced and disingenuous I'd agree with him. The last thing I'd accuse him of is anti-Irish racism.

"overreact much" as in anything i can do you can do better?:) as in "rabid hatred" "disingenuous" "anti Irish racisim"

The OP feels embarrassed by "Mate" spoken in an (which?) irish accent.

Yes, I agree with you, we are all overreacting.

To clarify my previous post it suggests that English and Irish folk don't always come across in a stereotypical fashion.
    Irish is much greater than Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Well Lad whats the craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

I´ve noticed that some of the younger generation in Ireland have started using "pikey" and "chav".

For one thing, "pikey" is often used by the Brits as derogatory term, not only for Irish Travellers, but for Irish people in general (I know, I lived there for 2 years), so I find it somewhat amusing to hear kids in Ireland using the term. Knacker and tinker are the words I would use.

"Chav" is most definetly an England thing, and In Scotland, I´ve only every heard them using "Ned", in Glasgow and Edinburgh anyway. I´d say Scumbag, Skanger or Knacker.

As for "Mate", I´ve never used it, but one hears it a lot in Dublin these days. I tend to say "Man" or "Buddy", but only to friends. I´ve also caught myself saying "Dude", and that´s definetly an American English influence from reading the Internets all these years..

Anyway, Irish kids seem to being using British and American slang more and more these days and dropping the Irish ones. This is just the way languages evolve. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

seensensee wrote: »

as a manchester man [with irish ancestors] the above is very true, the word mate is used a lot in the northwest[lancashire] and who knows it may well of originated in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

The dubs are closer to the Brits than the rest of Ireland so its not surprising, bloody west-brits;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

use "mate" all the time. but then again i'm english so its allowwed :-)
    (said it to the mother in law one day hahah she didnt know what to say):D
    i'm from dannnnnnnnnnnnn saffffffffffffffffffff as well.

you replace it with mush, chav, me auld shadey or geezer if your a townie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Guys is annoying too. 'Cya later, guys'. No I won't. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If you have a beef with someone using a term of endearment then you really need to get out more. I mean, he called me mate, how ****ing dare he the ****. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    If you have a beef with someone using a term of endearment then you really need to get out more. I mean, he called me mate, how ****ing dare he the ****. :mad:

First of all i think you should get out more, you have 14,500 posts on this site..try leaving your laptop/pc and go outside for a few moments, it's a great big world out there.

Secondly i don't have "beef" with anyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

First of all i think you should get out more, you have 14,500 posts on this site..try leaving your laptop/pc and go outside for a few moments, it's a great big world out there.

Secondly i don't have "beef" with anyone :)

Oh don't worry about me, just because I have a keen interest in this site that doesn't mean I don't have a perfectly healthy social life. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

What is the story with this.... "mate" has only creeped into Irish society in the past few years, I die a little inside when i hear this word being used.

"mate" is for people from the UK or OZ...suddenly us Irish clowns are using it on a daily basis. it is embarrasing

can't stand it myself either,it's mostly used in (england(dublin))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

<---it works both ways-->

you have english people using "paddy terms" like craic, bejayus, eejit etc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I´ve noticed that some of the younger generation in Ireland have started using "pikey" and "chav".

For one thing, "pikey" is often used by the Brits as derogatory term, not only for Irish Travellers, but for Irish people in general (I know, I lived there for 2 years), so I find it somewhat amusing to hear kids in Ireland using the term. Knacker and tinker are the words I would use.

"Chav" is most definetly an England thing, and In Scotland, I´ve only every heard them using "Ned", in Glasgow and Edinburgh anyway. I´d say Scumbag, Skanger or Knacker.
    Maybe not so much when referring to travellers but I think there's an element of Irish people using these words to neuter it. I call myself a paddy occasionally and use pikey as a light-hearted form of abuse (for anyone)... chav to me describes an English skanger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Listen up homie, iz all good.

New peps be bringing their dialect and shiiit.

That's all be happening.

We be hearing TV shows and so we iz gonna pick up the lingo from time to time.

It's only natural blood.

Ya feelin' me cuz?

Your full o **** pal..if you don't mind me sayin.

Dude /Coz/ Bro all come from across the wather and not good in Eire.

Pal is OK ,,as in you got somethin to say pal ....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Ruu wrote: »
    Not as bad as some people posting "summit", gob****es! :mad:
    Yeah. It's spelt "summat". Fúcking idiots. :rolleyes:
    Dude /Coz/ Bro all come from across the wather and not good in Eire.
    You know the language you're typing in came from "across the wather"? Or is that acceptable because it's been around a little longer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Nevore wrote: »
    Yeah. It's spelt "summat". Fúcking idiots. :rolleyes:

You know the language you're typing in came from "across the wather"? Or is that acceptable because it's been around a little longer?

What's your point pal ?

I know the language I am typing in...but as has obviously escaped your attention we are discussing annoying expressions and phrases in the English language.

Could you,,uh,,,uh,,,wake up there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

What's your point pal ?

I know the language I am typing in...but as has obviously escaped your attention we are discussing annoying expressions and phrases in the English language.

Could you,,uh,,,uh,,,wake up there ?
    My point is, you're complaining about people using words which originated in a foreign country while speaking a language which originated in a foreign country. The whole matter frankly baffles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

irish barman to David Hasslehoff " Welcome Mr HassleHoff, what will it be ? "

The hoff " Dont call me Hassle hoff - CALL ME HOFF "

Barman " ok, no hassle "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Couldn't give a sh1te about Irish people saying it, and there are some people on this thread who even go so far as to say it's "bowing to the 'Brits'" to use it - and they're being serious! :eek:

However, someone said they're hearing it a lot more in Cork of late - don't think I've ever heard any Cork person say it though. :)
    rubensni wrote: »
    Speaking of disingenuous, wouldn't it be better for your analogy to use the Irish equivalent of "mate" instead of the expression "begorrah" which no Irish person ever (apart from characters on The Quiet Man) uses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

timmy..I thought everyone was called that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Dudess wrote: »

However, someone said they're hearing it a lot more in Cork of late - don't think I've ever heard any Cork person say it though. :)

Serious?? I hear it quite alot, especially from fellas in the 16-23 age bracket, I dunno maybe its a southside thing, whereabouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 windy squid

I'd only use it when I'm taking the Mick so I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dasdenny

Imagine that..the Irish using an English word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

CHealy wrote: »
    Serious?? I hear it quite alot, especially from fellas in the 16-23 age bracket, I dunno maybe its a southside thing, whereabouts are you?
    Ah possibly. I'm in Norrieville. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Yep. "Dude" is also something that should be banned in Ireland.

You wear a beanie hat, have a beard and long hair, go weight-lifting in the gym, carry a manbag with laptop in it and use "dude/mate" in everyday conversation. You're a freak.:pac:

You do realise "dude" is Irish? It's not our fault the result of the english-speaking world copied it. Likewise, "mate" has been around centuries.

P.S. How do you carry your laptops around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

I don't use it, but I didn't realise there were rules about what words people were & weren't allowed to use.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Freyja

Men calling other males "Bro" or "Bo" that are no relation really irritates me...just call them.."listen dickhead, your drunk and im trying to stop you making an ass of yourself or getting your head smashed in"
    Twopence posted, now getting the fook outta here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Personally can't stand it, guv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

all i can say on this is id rather be ur 'mate' than your 'bud' , makes fk all of a difference to me as long as somebodys attempting to be polite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Iv'e no problem with mate. People should be allowed say what they want, whenever they want to, all the time. I only use it myself when I'm thanking a barman at a pub, or really angry at someone, "why don't you go f~~k yourself mate " etc. I do get pissed off though when someone pulls the mate card on me during an argument. It's a doubled edged sword.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

A few of my girl mates all seem to be saying "man" at the end of their sentences these days, really makes me cringe..

"Yeah man"
    "No man"
    "Awh man ya seeerious?"

**shivers**

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rhythm90

Overuse of the word mate can be slightly irritating I will concede...

But seriously, why does this type of stuff bother people so much!? Get on with your own life. Choose not to say it yourself. Or maybe write a letter to the dáil. See if they'll draft up some nonsensicle ban overnight on it or something...

****ing Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    A few of my girl mates all seem to be saying "man" at the end of their sentences these days, really makes me cringe..

"Yeah man"
    "No man"
    "Awh man ya seeerious?"

**shivers**

That's so 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I couldnt agree more with the original poster! Walking into a clothes/electronics shop etc and being greeted with 'mate' makes me winch!! I lived in England for years and it never bothered me hearing it there but having it said to you in an irish accent just aggravates me way more than I know should be normal!! Perhaps a sad reflection on me but god how I hate this word!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I've been calling friends mate for years and I don't see any problem with it. People need to get over this idea that we can't use a word because the English or the Australians use it, ffs grow out of that mentality. And so what if they do use the words too?

When the **** are people in this country going to cop the **** on and just let people on and mind their own ****ing business?

This is typical Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Doesn't sound right to me either when Irish people say it. Sounds wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I usually say man or dawg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

Augmerson wrote: »
    I've been calling friends mate for years and I don't see any problem with it. People need to get over this idea that we can't use a word because the English or the Australians use it, ffs grow out of that mentality. And so what if they do use the words too?

When the **** are people in this country going to cop the **** on and just let people on and mind their own ****ing business?

This is typical Ireland.

It's called having an opinion!- I'm not stopping anyone from saying 'mate' but i am entitled to comment on how irritating it is! Calm down there!

Ps. It also really annoys me when people insert asterixs so they can swear! what's the point?!

Advertisement