Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish people using the word "Mate"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

What should an Irish person call their friends then? Whats an acceptable term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Lux23 wrote: »

Doesn't really matter, someone here would have a problem with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Bloke is wayyyy worse, fuppin hate that word.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 antidark777

Augmerson wrote: »
    I've been calling friends mate for years and I don't see any problem with it. People need to get over this idea that we can't use a word because the English or the Australians use it, ffs grow out of that mentality. And so what if they do use the words too?

When the **** are people in this country going to cop the **** on and just let people on and mind their own ****ing business?

This is typical Ireland.

Got it spot on. After all, aren't we using the english language?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

"Don't forget the turnips for me and my mate" - James Joyce (A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man) 1916.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,208 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I quite like using the term at home but rarely use it in everyday life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Simply.Young

Ps. It also really annoys me when people insert asterixs so they can swear! what's the point?!

Maybe because the forum does it automatically.

****. ****. Bull****. ****. ******. ****. See? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ps. It also really annoys me when people insert asterixs so they can swear! what's the point?!

Surely you are trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭stooodent

What is the story with this.... "mate" has only creeped into Irish society in the past few years, I die a little inside when i hear this word being used.

"mate" is for people from the UK or OZ...suddenly us Irish clowns are using it on a daily basis. it is embarrasing

"thanks mate" or "cheers mate" does not lie well with the Irish accent...

I agree with this statement so much it hurts :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Lux23 wrote: »

****ace, ****bag or trout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

due to living in different countries it is easy to pick up expressions and sayings. So for that reason I ain't apologizing anytime soon for any time I may 'mate'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Karmaman

Can be a bit confrontational when someone that isn't a friend decides to call you "Mate", you don't call yor mates "Mate".
    Better off with Buddy....A la Keith Duffy, Howarye Buddies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I use it all the time. It's just a harmless social nicety.

You should bring it with people that say it to you instead of whinging on boards about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

how are ya me auld flower

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I met some people from boards today, we meet regularly. I informed them I had been posting in after hours for the last few weeks. They said I'd missed the boat by several years.

OP, I can see their point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

garancafan wrote: »
    "Don't forget the turnips for me and my mate" - James Joyce (A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man) 1916.
    If it's good enough for Joyce, it's good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

So now we aren't allowed to say "mate"? What the hell is wrong with people? After Hours used to have funny threads that made you laugh, or kept you informed and you logged off feeling better normally. Now you access the site and it's like getting a kick in the balls. "Irish people do this..., "irish people are sooo embarrasing..., "dont you hate it when the irish..."

why not try and post a fun thread? like the one where someone found that ****e bedsit with a little bedroom built into it! More of that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I see no problem with it. Words are often traded between countries and even languages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

So, the fact that we've established that James Joyce said it almost 100 years ago - does that not make the original post a moot point now?
    The OP wrote:
    "mate" has only creeped into Irish society in the past few years
    PROVEN TO BE FACTUALLY WRONG (as well as the word being "crept").
    We have irrefutable hard evidence that proves prior usage that pre-dates your claim of "the past few years". FACT. PWNED. OP FAIL. YOWSER!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I very much doubt that many of these 'cockney-wannabes' who ape other cultures have read Joyce any time lateley!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

This is small dog complex at it's best. The only problem OP has with the word mate and Irish people saying it is that OP thinks it comes from England and Australia, much bigger Anglophile countries. It's the 21st century and it's time to drop this kind of attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Wagon wrote: »
    So now we aren't allowed to say "mate"? What the hell is wrong with people? After Hours used to have funny threads that made you laugh, or kept you informed and you logged off feeling better normally. Now you access the site and it's like getting a kick in the balls. "Irish people do this..., "irish people are sooo embarrasing..., "dont you hate it when the irish..."

why not try and post a fun thread? like the one where someone found that ****e bedsit with a little bedroom built into it! More of that :)

Ironically that thread is funny because its about Irish gombeenism. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are we still allowed to call people "sugar-drawers"?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Ironically that thread is funny because its about Irish gombeenism. :)
    Yeah but he deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

We need a new forum for all those moany threads to be dumped :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"mate" has only creeped into Irish society in the past few years,
    Past few years!?! where the fuck have you been!
    fryup wrote: »
    <---it works both ways-->

you have english people using "paddy terms" like craic, bejayus, eejit etc
    Actually craic is english in origin, several other "paddy terms" are english in origin too, there was an article on it in some paper a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

If you hate English words so much go speak Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

rubadub wrote: »
    Past few years!?! where the fuck have you been!

Actually craic is english in origin, several other "paddy terms" are english in origin too, there was an article on it in some paper a few weeks ago.
    I LOVE IT! God help the next shinner to use the word in front of me now, I'll lambaste his race-traitor self for having a secret-black-and-tan heart. Lolol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i don't say "mai-" as it'd sound ere as mate to me means sexual partner. also the reason for this thread's very existence.. i've become weary of its (over)use n also wonder why them what use it have not.

will say mn, bro, geez, fella, chick, chico .. just about anything that takes my fancy. anything i don't repeat too often - anything but.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

I can see an English tourist walking into a butcher in Ireland and saying "Alright mate", with the butcher replying that "mates fresh" and the confusion begins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I sort of have a small hang-up about it, I immensely dislike feeling the urge to have to use it to conform (for instance, in an area or facility where people seem to address people as "mate" most often).

That said, I'm a terrible hoor for calling everyone whose name I can't remember "lad". Well lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Whats the big deal? Is it worse than saying bud, chief, boss, lad, pal, horse???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

What is the story with this.... "mate" has only creeped into Irish society in the past few years, I die a little inside when i hear this word being used.

"mate" is for people from the UK or OZ...suddenly us Irish clowns are using it on a daily basis. it is embarrasing

relax mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Mate is definitely not an Irish term, anyone who says it is wrong but it is creeping in nowadays since the Irish watch a lot of English TV and football etc.
    Same way 'dude' or any other term is creeping in.
    Mate just sounds very english.
    Here's Ronnie Drews view on the word mate ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjr8O6MonUk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pangea wrote: »
    Mate is definitely not an Irish term, anyone who says it is wrong but it is creeping in nowadays since the Irish watch a lot of English TV and football etc.
    Same way 'dude' or any other term is creeping in.
    Mate just sounds very english.
    Here's Ronnie Drews view on the word mate ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjr8O6MonUk

Ronnie was a notorious cranky bollix and he was from Kingstown :)

Dubliners have used mate as a term for as long as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I say mate a good bit as I am from Australia. I haven't heard many Irish people say it, although one guy I used to work with started saying it after he heard me saying it. He just started saying it one day and never stopped :D I'd been there months and not noticed him saying it. He has a quite strong Irish accent so it sounded a bit unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

It's better than being called cúnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Bambi wrote: »
    Ronnie was a notorious cranky bollix and he was from Kingstown :)

Dubliners have used mate as a term for as long as I remember.
    Really?
    Il have to take your word for it as I am not familiar with what the Dubs say but no one I know says it and if they do its because they picked it up from English influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

"Ah sher I'll mate ya down the pub lay'her"

Mate doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the supremely irritating "dood" - now THAT is chronic surfer-speak that should be banned under threat of imprisonment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Really?
    Il have to take your word for it as I am not familiar with what the Dubs say but no one I know says it and if they do its because they picked it up from English influence.

I've rarely heard it used either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

"Dude" and "mate" irritate me when I hear people say them a lot, but for me, the word "cheers" drives me insane! It's not that it's an expression used commonly in England that annoys me, just the word itself gets on my nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I'm not your bud, guy!
    I'm not your guy, mate!
    I'm not your mate, pal!
    I'm not your pal, bud!

I'm not your bud, guy!
    I'm not your guy, mate!
    I'm not your mate, pal!

I'm not your pal, bud!
    I'm not your bud, guy!
    I'm not your guy, mate!

I'm not your mate, pal!
    I'm not your pal, bud!
    I'm not your bud, guy!

I'm not your guy, mate!
    I'm not your mate, pal!
    I'm not your pal, bud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've rarely heard it used either.

Usually in a different context..."is he your mate?" "are youse mates now?". But I've heard it since i was a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I can be guilty of using it an odd only because my sister has been studying for years in the uk and uses it all the time. I will never ever say 'trainers' though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I use mate sometimes - only when I'm getting annoyed with someone though!
    Funny that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Fair dinkum it can happen very easily, it only happened to me this avo.

What about using "yeah" at the end of a sentence; is that a recent thing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

It's nothing new, mates. I been using it for 20 odd years. At home and here in London town.

Some people are too sensitive when it comes to language, you get me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Domo230 wrote: »
    I always use "Alright mate" and "cheers mate". Never thought it was weird.

pfft, weirdo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Guilty as charged I'm an alright mate, man and now that I think of it, in an English accent as well.

I have no idea were that habit came from or when, but I did live in London Years ago for about 6 months.

I am wondering what I used before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

fontanalis wrote: »
    Fair dinkum it can happen very easily, it only happened to me this avo.

What about using "yeah" at the end of a sentence; is that a recent thing?

not as bad as 'yer', I know english people who text that at the end of sentences :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement