Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using free software...

Options
  • 29-07-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering, what software are people using to write up their theses? I have an office computer that's running Word 2003 & EndNote, but my own personal laptop and desktop at home are running Ubunu now, so I kind of need to decide if I'm going to go the only writing in the office thing or go freeware that might be a bit buggy but be able to work anywhere... My office can get quite busy and loud and I'm easily distracted...

I'm happy with Open Office as my word processor, but I'm worried about referencing software and being able to generate bibliographies and stuff...

Anyone have any great bits they're using?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Word 2010 and Endnote is what I use.

I would write it up in whatever your comfortable with, then install it on both workstations. The last thing you want to do is spend time looking for features and buttons. Pick one and get very good at it.

(Make sure you use Dropbox too, to sync your data between machines. I installed my Endnote library into dropbox as well so all my references come with me.)

I recently came across another Word processing software package called LaTex
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1286

Which seems quite good but I don't have time at the moment to learn how to change to another program, if I did, I would certainly give it a go.

*By the way that dropbox link is my referral link, if someone clicks your link and signs up you get an extra 250 MB free, which is handy. What Ive done is kept all my notes since I started in dropbox and then you always have them whenever you need them. If your laptop goes belly up, you can just download dropbox to your New one or Temp PC and it will still have a copy of your files. Definitely worth checking out

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I would personally not bother with OpenOffice, it's slightly clunky although it has improved slightly in recent versions.

I'm writing my thesis in LaTeX although I've been using it for over six years by now. LaTeX will run on Linux and Windows so you should be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'd recommend Latex too. It might take you a few hours to get the hang of the basics, but offset against the days you'll save aligning figures and tables and ensuring consistent formatting in Word, you'll save a whole load of time in the long run. Plus, you'll end up with a far more professional looking document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Everyone recommends Latex which is grand but make sure you check what your supervisor will accept when you give them your work to check. I've a friend who did a lot of stuff on Latex and then the supervisor wouldn't look at it, and he had to change it all back to Word.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Good point there Ivy. I'm lucky I suppose because mine likes me to print it all out and she can correct it the old fashioned way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭lumpwood

Have a look at a product called Zotero. Its a free version of Endnote and actually I find it easier to use. It works with firefox and open office although it might be a bit dodgy on Ubuntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

LaTeX all the way, I'm using the TeXShop software which I *think* is Mac-only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 orcanius.

I use Lyx and Jabref on Ubuntu. Smooth as a whistle.

I have a BibSonomy plug-in for JabRef so I don't have to type out my references manually. You can track comments in Lyx too.

Raw-coded Latex and lots of errors everywhere just isn't for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭bnt

orcanius. wrote: »
    I use Lyx and Jabref on Ubuntu. Smooth as a whistle.

I have a BibSonomy plug-in for JabRef so I don't have to type out my references manually. You can track comments in Lyx too.

Raw-coded Latex and lots of errors everywhere just isn't for me...
    I'll second that - Lyx is excellent if you're not that keen on hand-coding LaTeX. It does help to know a little LaTeX e.g. if you want to customise the document preamble. For example, I dislike big margins and hyphenation and I like the Palatino typeface, so I have the following in my preamble:
    \usepackage{a4wide}
    \hyphenpenalty=5000\tolerance=1000
    \usepackage{mathpazo}

And it's all free, too. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭markmcg

LateX is the only way to go. Its easy to do bibliographies in it.
    Makes your thesis look professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cheers for all the replies, guys.

I've sorted out a system using open office and zotero, and syncing everything to dropbox (thanks for that link Static M.e.!!) and it's working wonderfully. My supervisor needs to be able to comment within documents electronically which i can still do using open office, so it's a win all round!

Now I just to finsih the feckin' thing! Only 14 months of money left... :eek:

Advertisement