Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow/Gorey Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You'd imagine they could sell the farmhouse and outbuildings off, strip the milk parlour etc. out and rebuild a new farmhouse and yard on the 45 acre side. just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 The Sisco Kid

Noticed last week that they are making really good progress on the Gorey bypass, especially on the southern end (overbridges complete over the Ballycanew road and the backroad beside it - Knockduff?). I also noticed the works at the fruit farm on the northern side of Gorey (will this be the location of the southbound exit for Gorey?)
    Has there been much progress on the northern end? I couldn't see much around Inch or the Arklow tie-in. Are they still on target for completion end of next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 The Sisco Kid

I noticed last week that they are making great progress on the southern end of the Gorey bypass, epecially around the Ballycanew and Knockduff section with both overbridges complete and substantial earth works underway.
    There didn't seem to be much around the Arklow road tie-in but that was only from what I saw on the N11.
    Are they still on target for completion by end of next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While I never see the northern end I reckon they'll have it ready to open earlier than Sept/Oct 07.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

http://www.unison.ie/enniscorthy_guardian/stories.php3?ca=38&si=1660753&issue_id=14419
    Iarnród Eireann deny delaying by-pass

Iarnród Eireann has denied it is holding up the completion of the Gorey bypass.
    In a letter to this newspaper, Barry Kenny, Corporate Communications Manager with the railway company refuted Cllr. Lorcan Allen's recent claims that Iarnród Éireann is delaying the completion of the Gorey bypass.
    Cllr. Allen recently stated in this newspaper that Iarnród Eireann was delaying progress on the bypass because bureaucracy was holding up a decision on the design of a railway underpass two miles south of Gorey town.
    'The true fact of the situation is that Iarnród Éireann are meeting all deadlines in the process as set out by Wexford County Council, who are acting as agents for the National Roads Authority,' said Mr. Kenny.
    'The design for the underpass is now being passed to the Railway Safety Commission, the independent regulator of rail safety in Ireland, for final approval, and the project is on schedule for the council's target date of October 2006 for the start of construction on the underpass,' he added. 'It is regrettable that Cllr. Allen did not appraise himself of the full facts of the situation before making his statement.'
    However, Cllr. Allen was sticking to his guns on the issue. 'How is it that this is the only bridge not completed on the bypass?' he asked.

Sigh...To think WExford elected Mr Allen as a TD for years (and he was made a junior minister too..)

http://www.unison.ie/enniscorthy_guardian/stories.php3?ca=38&si=1688744&issue_id=14647
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Arial]Bypass on schedule as first tarmac laid [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]The first layers of tarmac have been laid on parts of the new Gorey bypass. After a dry summer, the 23 km dual carriageway is still on schedule for opening in November next year.
    In its latest newsletter, the County Council NRA liaison office said that construction was well under way on bridges and roadworks.

The project which extends from the Arklow bypass to south of Clogh village, consists of 34 structures including culverts, farm underpasses, and road and rail bridges. There will be two interchanges, one at Raheenagurren, and the other at Tinnock, and a roundabout junction at the southern tie-in near Clogh.

A significant quantity of material has now been excavated, and placed in embankments. Many of the new bridges are now at an advanced stage, meaning machinery can now cross these, rather than crossing public roads.

The completion of the roadworks has meant work has started on paving the new road. This will continue for the next year or more.

Roadbridge Ltd., the company undertaking the work, has said that with the exception of the Macoyle Road, it does not intend closing any more public roads. Some tie-in locations may be subject to one-way traffic lights for short periods of time, but these will be few and intermittent.

Most of the bridges are now completed or under construction. Work on the final piece in the puzzle, the Coolnastud Railway Bridge, is due to commence shortlEarthworks are substantially complete in most areas with the remaining areas being at Ask Hill and around Ballyellin and Ashwood to the northern end of the scheme. The removal of rock material at Ask Hill was done using heavy plant rather than blasting.

Immediately following the earthworks is the construction of the road drainage and then the placement of subbase material, before laying the macadam.

The laying of layers of macadam required for the road has begun. The southern end of the scheme from Clough to Geata Salac is now paved up to basecourse level. The final layer, called the wearing course, is not scheduled to commence until spring 2007.

[/FONT]

Wouild I be wrong in thinking that the could open part of one carriageway some time during the summer to take traffic out of Gorey (similar to Rathnew By pass a few years ago)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Arklow - Rathnew is 14km according to the NRA website

anyone know if they're going to partially open the Gorey bypass before the summer (as they did with Ashford-Rathnew). Would save a lot of hassle even if they could only open one carriageway.

The southern part of the Gorey by-pass is moving along apace and the diggers are sculpting the earth for the meeting point with the N11.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/Thefile,4485,en.pdf

Sounds like good progress. I wonder will it come in ahead of schedule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭chamar

Does anyone know if the Gorey by-pass is going to connect with the coast road to Wexford?

Nope its straight over the top with no slip roads. Typical enough for the NRA!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

So if you want to drive Wexford-Dublin via the coast road you still have to go thru Gorey? Unbelieveable.......absolutely unbelieveable. I presume you will be able to get on to it after Gorey then but BEFORE Inch or are they just being spiteful as well as stupid?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    No, it isn't! Look at the map again.

Access at the Raheenagurran interchange is provided to the R742 and R741. The 742 leads to Courtown.

Whoooops! I drive on that section under the bypass every week! I had'nt noticed anything :o I'll have a proper look next time.

Mike.

That eejit Lorcan Allen is at it again.
    http://www.unison.ie/gorey_guardian/stories.php3?ca=34&si=1741729&issue_id=15007
    Irish Rail in bypass row

CLAIMS that Iarnród Eireann are holding up progress on the new Gorey bypass have set Cllr. Lorcan Allen on a collision course with the rail authority.
    The Gorey Councillor told Monday's meeting of Wexford County Council that their indecision on the design of a railway bridge is delaying the bypass project by between four and six months. And County Manager Eddie Breen said he too was concerned about any delay in the multi-million euro project.
    However, Iarnród Éireann spokesperson Barry Kenny hit out at Councillor Allen yesterday (Tuesday).
    'Time and time again Lorcan Allen is clearly not interested in the facts at all,' he said. 'It's only his own publicity he's interested in and it's getting a bit tiresome to be honest.'
    Councillor Allen said that the railway company has yet to give approval for the last bridge on the bypass, which would cross over the railway line on the Wicklow to Wexford border at the northern end of the Gorey bypass.
    He previously hit out at Iarnród Éireann over their delays in approving the design of a railway overpass at the southern end of the site. This matter was eventually resolved, and the gap in the road was filled.
    'I'm calling on CIE to pull out the finger and get a move on,' he stated. 'I'd love to know what their excuse is this time'.
    Jane Cregan, spokesperson for Iarnród Éireann, said the problem centred around the need to divert a culvert under the bridge.
    'We are working with Wexford County Council and the OPW to come up with a solution to divert the culvert,' she said. 'To say we're holding it up is simply not the case. We're working as hard as we can to ensure the culvert is moved in a way that's acceptable to everybody'.

I was just wondering what with so many by-passes coming in ahead of time. Do the contractors get paid extra for each day ahead of the schedule? Just wondering why we've suddenly got so good at building roads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

We got good because:

a. General Election

b. Alot of attention has been brought to the issue and this scares the government into action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

chamar wrote:
    I was just wondering what with so many by-passes coming in ahead of time. Do the contractors get paid extra for each day ahead of the schedule? Just wondering why we've suddenly got so good at building roads!

I think its to do with looking good. Most people have no idea how long something like this takes. So if it takes 2 years and the government say 'it'll take 3 years', it looks like it came in a year ahead of schedule.

Plus I've heard rumours that they make it longer to allow any legal action and NIMBY whinging to take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I presume the contractors get a bonus if they come in ahead of schelude and fined if over it.

The weather has been quite favourable for work on the Gorey by-pass too. Clearance and excavation is a lot easier/quicker when you are not operating in a mudbath.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

chamar wrote:
    Because:
    1. Contractors are often given early possession of the site before the official hand-over date.
    2. The projects are often larger, creating economies of scale.
    3. More resources can be put into the project because the price is much higher than previously.
    4. Many recent projects have been in more rural areas, with less complications and easier terrain (less avoiding of villages, houses, etc.)
    5. Things are being done more efficiently.
    Badabing wrote:
    I presume the contractors get a bonus if they come in ahead of schelude
    Not usually.
    and fined if over it.
    Fines (other than by a court) are illegal. But Liquidated Damages may be applied.

At least there is a consistency in the answers :)

I found some potentially good news on the Roadbridge web site re Gorey:

Roadbridge commenced work in November 2005 on the N11 Gorey to Arklow Link. This scheme commences at the southern end of the Arklow By-Pass and extends for approximately 23km to the south to tie in to the existing N11 approximately 3km south of Clogh Village. The scheme by-passes to the east of Gorey Town and Clogh Village and interchanges are provided at Tinnock and Raheenagurren West on the Courtown Road. The project is expected to be completed in August 2007.

I don't know how current this is but it means 3 months ahead of schedule. Now if they could pull it in to May/June - before the summer rush & regular tailbacks - I'd be really happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

even if they could just open 1 lane and take the traffic out of Gorey - i'd rather drive at 50km/h through roadworks than at 10km/h through the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Just been told there some protest on at the shell garage in kilmacanogue?? major hold ups all along the n11.

loyatemu wrote:
    even if they could just open 1 lane and take the traffic out of Gorey - i'd rather drive at 50km/h through roadworks than at 10km/h through the town.

Agreed - even if it were for Clogh to Ticknock.

So Bertie says!!

Relief is in sight for thousands of frustrated motorists with the news that the main section of the Gorey bypass is set to open in four months' time, well ahead of schedule.
    The town has gained a national reputation as being one of the country's worst traffic blackspots and it is hoped that the bypass will restore the town's status as an attractive destination for tourism and shopping.

Until now, although the work on the 23km dual carriageway was proceeding at a fast pace, November was still set for the official opening date.

However, ever the bearer of good news, especially in an election year, An Taoiseach Bertie Ahern was able to get the scoop on the story during a recent visit to Arklow, when he announced that the main section of the bypass would open this summer.

The Gorey Guardian understands that the main section of the road from the intersection north of Gorey to the roundabout at Clough will open in early July, while the remaining link to the Arklow bypass will open early September

From the Gorey Guardian
    Looks like we have a date for the first section!
    Local keep fit enthusiasts will get a sneak peek at the new Gorey bypass in a 10K Fun Run which will be held on the weekend before the first section of the dual carriageway opens on July 5 next. The event is being co-ordinated by Gorey Chamber of Industry and Commerce.

• Advertisement

First section? What the deuce does that mean? If you can't use its entire length then where does 'one' exit and where to?

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement