Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11 - Arklow/Gorey Bypass

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 drfisher

From Irish Times "Breaking News" on 27th April 2007:
    The Gorey bypass will open four months ahead of schedule and should bring an end traffic gridlock in the Co Wexford town, it was announced today.

The 23-kilometre Arklow/Gorey bypass stretches from Arklow to the south of Gorey in Co Wexford and is due to open on July 5th, Taoiseach Bertie Ahern announced.

Does this mean the whole bypass, or just from the fruit farm to Clogh?

Also, I notice Bertie's travelling to Wexford this afternoon. Let's hope he isn't held up for too long at the Beehive :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Teaser pix (near Clough)

Dsc01652.jpg

Dsc01653.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Wont be going anywhere near this new road. It's quite obviously haunted. Check out the large ghostly image floating in the pictures :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mike65 wrote:
    Teaser pix (near Clough)
    Dsc01652.jpg
    Mike.
    In some part of Ireland, can't remember where, perhaps Offaly, anyway they put little light reflectors on the concrete barrier in the middle, it's a great idea. Pity that from the photograph, it looks like they chose not to do it on this road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Looks good. I wonder why the M50 upgrade is getting double new Jersey barriers while probably faster rural roads like this only get single barriers.

• Advertisement

What happened to the 120kph limit on this road that the NRA proposed? Dosn't look like it's designed for 120kph to me.

drfisher wrote:
    What happened to the 120kph limit on this road that the NRA proposed? Dosn't look like it's designed for 120kph to me.
    Why not?

I thought there would have to be a wider median. This photo seems to showan extruded concrete barrier, like Glen of the Downs, with no run-off area. I'm not a (civil) engineer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

not sure what the regulations are here but plenty of autoroutes in France with concrete barriers and 130km/h limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Plus all the new interurban builds are like that and will probobly eventually be motorway :)

• Advertisement

drfisher wrote:
    I thought there would have to be a wider median. This photo seems to showan extruded concrete barrier, like Glen of the Downs, with no run-off area. I'm not a (civil) engineer though.
    Motorways in the UK (and most European ones) don't have a runoff area either. The M2 through Belfast is an exception-it is so wide (10 lanes) it has 4 hard shoulders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Any detailed maps off the Gorey pass showing the exact junctions etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

drfisher wrote:

The M8/Fermoy bypass in Cork has a tiny concrete barrier like that separating the carriageways. Very narrow lanes too.

larry1 wrote:
    Any detailed maps off the Gorey pass showing the exact junctions etc?

This is the best I can find:

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/SchemeMaps/file,1869,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

BTW - Be prepared for a new temporary road layout in both directions at Kilpedder for those of you who have not already experienced it.

We should also expect the Tinnock roundabout in Gorey to come online in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 vodaman

With regard to some of the queries posted, perhaps the following helps;

The Gorey bypass will be 100kph speed limit as it is designed to this speed and safe standard. It is possible to have a 120kph road with the cross section similar to that adopted for Gorey. The median is not the determining factor of speed limit - design speed and road geometry (vertical & horizontal curvature etc) is.

There are reflectors attached to the concrete median barrier.

The fact that 2 concrete barriers (previously referred to as jersey barriers) are constructed along particular sections on the M50 median does not necessarily make it safer. They are required in these sections due to level differences between both carriageways and certain structures already & being constructed within the median.

The first section of the Gorey bypass is scheduled to open on Wednesday 4th July from Clogh roundabout to Tinnock interchange (Berry farm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

vodaman wrote:
    With regard to some of the queries posted, perhaps the following helps;

The Gorey bypass will be 100kph speed limit as it is designed to this speed and safe standard. It is possible to have a 120kph road with the cross section similar to that adopted for Gorey.

Would the Gorey bypass be suitable for a limit of 120km/hr, taking camber etc into consideration?

We should celebrate the fact that this is the last Bank holiday weekend of travelling thru Gorey :)

I travel thru Gorey 4 times a week on the way to Dublin, so yes I am counting the Bank Holidays, weeks, days, etc till Independce Day - July 4th!!

Than for the Enniscorthy bypass, the Ferns/Camolin bypass and oh ya...... the Rathnew/Arklow bypass that has been waiting for construction for years now!

The road works to integrate the Yinnock roundabout have now commenced - basically this has meant single line traffic at the fruit farm outside Gorey and is causing delays.

This roundabout has now been integrated into the N11 - so expect a new roundabout before you get to Gorey!

Also N11 is closed near Bray over the weekend - be warned!

• Advertisement

One more Friday till phase 1 of the Gorey bypass opens on July 4th :)

Also just found this - latest newsletter on Gorey Bypass:

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/Thefile,5142,en.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Jumping the gun a bit but Gmaps has updated the N11 to include the Gorey BP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

spacetweek wrote:
    Jumping the gun a bit but Gmaps has updated the N11 to include the Gorey BP!

Well done Google :D

Pity the M8 Fermoy bypass is still shown at N8 tho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

48 hours well 40 ish I'd say. Why Wednesday? should have been Sunday.

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Well done Google :D

Pity the M8 Fermoy bypass is still shown at N8 tho :(

Yea, and the Port Tunnel is shown as a Regional Road :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

spacetweek wrote:
    Yea, and the Port Tunnel is shown as a Regional Road :eek:
    Ah, don't worry. OSI show it as single carriageway and Michelin show it exiting at the wrong junction. :)

mike65 wrote:
    48 hours well 40 ish I'd say. Why Wednesday? should have been Sunday.

Mike.

I'm driving home tonight - here's hoping they open it tonight, if not roll on tomorrow.

I am worried that once open there will be tailbacks to the roundabout at Tinnock in both directions - I've already seen it on Fridays going Southbound and imagine it may be the same northbound as vehicles go from DC to a roundabout into single lane. The Clogh end might not be as bad.

A well, September will see it extend to the Arklow bypass so if there is a problem it will be short term and hopefully less painful than going thru the town.

Still not open at 6.15 am this morning :(

Also, the Courtown road was closed after an accident last night. Watch out if you're following the "Detour" signs, some of them are missing or pointing the wrong direction

• Advertisement

According to SE Radio it is opened at 12pm - I'll be on it in the morning :)

Gorey to Courtown road is also re-opened after a fatal accident

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement