Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Pakistan- test series thread.

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Aamer:(

Calling into question the Sydney Test and Kamran's mistakes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

dfx- wrote: »
    Aamer:(

Calling into question the Sydney Test and Kamran's mistakes..
    He said it was fixed, again IF true, it wouldn't shock anyone really who watched the last day of play in that match, Pakistan done everything they could to lose that game. Numerous dropped catches, horrid fielding and a flimsy chase.

As a huge Aamer fan its heartbreaking to read really. :(

Its weird I was talking about Bob Woolmer in work the other day, from all accounts he wanted to blow the roof off about betting in Pakistan cricket before his tragic death. :(

Tomorrow is going to be incredibly painful to watch, wouldn't be that shocked if they no showed.

Oh and also how can we take the rest of the England tour seriously after this?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

God I hate the NOTW; even if any of this is remotely true (which coming out of that rag Ill be doubtful until I read it from more reputible sources) its hardly "the most sensational sporting scandal ever" as they claim...

Its very sad if it is true tho, and itll be a major black mark against a young bowler who looks to all the world like he is going to have one hell of a test career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Jeez....Will we ever see atleast ONE test series involving Pakistan that passes off without any controversy?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I don't follow cricket at all,just seeing this on Sky Sports News.
    What's the big deal about a no ball? What effect does it have on the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭poppers

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Nowhere in that article do they say that the test match is fixed, instead that Asif and Aamer delivered no balls which to be fair didn't exactly effect the outcome of the match. Its incredibly depressing as I really adore watching Aamer but not that surprising really this is happening. :(

the no ball occoured when he said they would to show that the players were in on the scam, its not a huge leap from there (for me anyhow) to suggesting that the result is going to be rigged for betting purposes.

In terms of a game a no ball doesnt mean a whole lot; its a run to the score and an extra ball to be bowled in the over. Its the fact that they are claiming that bowlers were being paid to act in a certain way to affect betting is what is causing the controversy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

greetings wrote: »
    I don't follow cricket at all,just seeing this on Sky Sports News.
    What's the big deal about a no ball? What effect does it have on the match?

It's for a type of betting called spot-betting. Someone says "I bet the 4th ball of the 23rd over will be a no-ball", and someone else says "I'll take that bet at 200-1 (or whatever)"

If the players are in on it, they deliver the no-ball at the right time, and everyone gets paid, except for the poor chump who thought the bet was fair.

There's no evidence of the test being fixed - unless you count an incredibly poor performance from the Pakistani batting as evidence.

More to come on this story I'd reckon.

97/8...DISGRACEFUL

What a mockery of TEST cricket

Pakistan should be banned from playing international cricket until they get their house in order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

TrueDub wrote: »

There's no evidence of the test being fixed - unless you count an incredibly poor performance from the Pakistani batting as evidence.

More to come on this story I'd reckon.

Half the team are crapping themselves in-case they get implicated in the no-ball mess. Kamran and Butt were allegedly involved....

• Advertisement

Incidentally, was anyone watching?
    Were England even celebrating wickets by the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Well lets be honest its pakistan. Look at the test in sydney this year. Looks to me they took a dive in that game . This game appears to be just no ball betting, but im not absolutely shocked by the headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Well lets be honest its pakistan. Look at the test in sydney this year. Looks to me they took a dive in that game . This game appears to be just no ball betting, but im not absolutely shocked by the headlines.

That game stunk to the high heavens.

Its such a mess with the ODI series on the way. Obviously the lads are innocent right now, but imagine the reaction when they bowl a no ball or Kamran drops a catch? These things normally would be ignored but after these revelations? :confused:

I think they have to be dropped really, even if innocent, mentally they have to be a wreck and without them maybe just maybe we can focus a little on the actual cricket.

Its going to be a tough few weeks for England as well, sure they will probably win the ODI series but really what satisfaction will they get from it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I agree with the sentiments that the Pakistan team are in a mess. The Aussie game always was strange. Also, the frequency of low scores on their current outing with England - are they that bad a team?

Hopefully, I remember in Jamaica, there were suggestions that Pak had thrown the match.............until it was pointed out that we took 10 catches to win the game (if memory serves me correctly!)

Strange times now - indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

booth70 wrote: »
    97/8...DISGRACEFUL

What a mockery of TEST cricket

Pakistan should be banned from playing international cricket until they get their house in order

Even though I am disgusted at the players involved, banning a whole country will not solve the problem. PCB and ICC need to take firm actions against the players involved to set an example. I believe there are some very honest players in the dressing room of Pakistan and they should not suffer.

booth70 wrote: »

That is anything but balanced.
    Its a self righteous pop at Giles Clarke, which has little to no relevance to the matter at hand.

If the poorest of the poor will take to the streets in indignation at this whole thing, then how in the hell would Amer not understand this was wrong.

Its a stupid, stupid article.

The ICC finally show some spine......

http://www.cricinfo.com/england-v-pakistan-2010/content/current/story/475646.html

What a pity about young Amir....he had the whole world at his feet....doubt whether he will ever play international cricket again

I hate to say it but if found guilty they have a prime opportunity to come down hard on Amir and send out a message to other young players as to the consequences of corruption and match fixing. By the sounds of it the problem runs a lot deeper and this is only scratching at the surface, but its a start.

Its such a shame if Amir does end up getting sanctioned; the most promising young player Ive seen in a long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement