Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin drug addict/dealer's thread Q?.

Options
  • 29-07-2010 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Do you guys want, or feel the need for a dedicated thread where we can discuss our cities significant drug problem?.

I don't mean a free for all junkie bashing fest, but something constructive (if such a thing can be said about the problem), like places to avoid, at what times to avoid them. Trouble you've had with addicts, action (or lack of) by the guards or officialdom.

This is a discussion which crops up regularly, the theme seldom changes - so would said thread help tidy things up a little, or do you guys like a fresh rant occasionally?.

Personally I think its a good discussion, why be nice about it & bury our heads in the sand just to appease the people who'll do feck all about it?.

Discuss?.

**The Pole**

Its secret, no one can view who'd voted - including the Mods.

Do you guys want, or feel the need for a dedicated thread? 16 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

It's sad that parts of Dublin City have become infested with junkies over the last number of years.Seeing as a new thread about the problem props up every couple of days, there would be no harm in putting it all into a single thread where what you outlined can be discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ph3n0m666

yes I think something like that would of benefit - not only as discussion, but also maybe as a resource to visitors to Dublin, since Bord Failte arent known for their pamphlet "Junkies: Dublin's Scourge"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Great idea!

The same thread popping up all the time gets annoying.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ph3n0m666 wrote: »
    "Junkies: Dublin's Scourge"

There's a title already!.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Dublin's drug problem is the same problem most of the Western world suffers from: blanket prohibition.
    The Portuguese model is the only way to eradicate problematic drug use, and until it's adopted here, nothing is going to change.
    I'll let you get back to the junkie-bashing now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Do you guys want, or feel the need for a dedicated thread where we can discuss our cities significant drug problem?.

I don't mean a free for all junkie bashing fest, but something constructive (if such a thing can be said about the problem), like places to avoid, at what times to avoid them. Trouble you've had with addicts, action (or lack of) by the guards or officialdom.

This is a discussion which crops up regularly, the theme seldom changes - so would said thread help tidy things up a little, or do you guys like a fresh rant occasionally?.

Personally I think its a good discussion, why be nice about it & bury our heads in the sand just to appease the people who'll do feck all about it?.

Discuss?.

Exactly why i set up my thread a while back entitled Scummy Dublin picture thread.
    Why shoud we pretend dublin is a "grand,friendly city full of quare blarney and Fluther Good"..the city is a cesspit of drug abuse and anti-social activity..maybe if we document this openly-occuring behaviour we might shame somebody,somewhere into doing something about the problem.

I dont think we're in any danger of having boards sued for defamation of character either..the guys who i saw fighting at the newspaper stand WERE alcos and junkies..the pics i took WERE of a woman dealing drugs in the middle of the day.

I didnt come up the lock in a bubble,i know enough about drug-related behaviour to know it when i see it and its EVERYWHERE and getting worse almost by the day.

We shouldnt be censoring this carry-on,all you need is a mark-one eyeball to see whats happining in our city.

We should be documenting it for all to see..let the evidence stack up and maybe somebody will say "Shiit,we need to act".

Dublin's drug problem is the same problem most of the Western world suffers from: blanket prohibition.
    The Portuguese model is the only way to eradicate problematic drug use, and until it's adopted here, nothing is going to change.
    I'll let you get back to the junkie-bashing now.

I won't infract or ban you - yet.. Post once more with that attitude in this thread and I'll ban you for two weeks - there's fair warning.

Guys, NO ONE reply to this post!.

Degsy wrote: »
    Exactly why i set up my thread a while back entitled Scummy Dublin picture thread.

That would have been a legal minefield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

That would have been a legal minefield.

If the junkies hired solicitors to say they'd been defamed by being photographed openly dealing in a public place maybe?

Degsy wrote: »
    If the junkies hired solicitors to say they'd been defamed by being photographed openly dealing in a public place maybe?

Degsy I don't want to go off on a discussion about this. Stick to the topic please, that issue has been dealt with and its been consigned to history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Just wondering how many people here on boards have a close relative or friend who has a drug addiction problem, I notice you call them junkies and every other horrible name going..These young people are human beings.

And by the way I have a 26 year old heroin addict son....

JosDel wrote: »
    Just wondering how many people here on boards have a close relative or friend who has a drug addiction problem, I notice you call them junkies and every other horrible name going..These young people are human beings.

And by the way I have a 26 year old heroin addict son....

Thats too bad.

But have you read the original post about the thread not being a junkie bashing fest?.
    I don't mean a free for all junkie bashing fest, but something constructive

For your info, and I really don't want to expand on this.. I was born in Summerhill, grew up in Ballymun, married a Sheriff St. woman and lived in the area for seven years. I've had family and friends died from smack.

Now guys, can we please get back on track and save the discussion for the thread (if it happens) and say yay or nay if we should have a dedicated (moderated) thread.

For simplicity I've added a pole to the thread, everyone say "hello" to 'Agneskia'.

thumb.jpg

JosDel wrote: »
    I think with the number drug addiction centres closing on the outskirts of dublin you are finding lately a lot of addicts are being sent to the city centre clinics for treatment thats why there have been a big increase in the number of addicts in the city ctr...My opinion..

Stop going off topic. Either add your opinion on a dedicated thread or stop posting in this one.

Guys, I won't waste anymore time on this one..

Read the damned thread title & text.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The main problem in this city is that it is so in your face and right in the city centre, very close to touristy areas. As I said in another thread, i've travelled a fair bit and I don't think i've seen such openly scummy behaviour in any other city centre.

I'm not naieve enough to think that they don't have problems in those cities, but the tourist areas and main shopping areas are heavily policed so that there's little if any drug activity there.

Funnily enough, two days after coming home from a year traveling i was in town with friends. we were heading go karting and waiting for one more of the lads to arrive when these guys right next to us started openly dealing. This was next to the Ha'apenny bridge. This was a much more threatening experience then anything i had experienced travelling the year before, a trip that took in the likes of cambodia, rio, buenos aires and la paz. I was ashamed to be a dubliner at that moment.

Great idea for a thread btw. Some good may come of it if there is a lot of contribution and it can be passed onto a councillor or something.

dan1895 wrote: »

Great idea for a thread btw. Some good may come of it if there is a lot of contribution and it can be passed onto a councillor or something.

Thank God you got the point of the thread.

Here's the craic.

ATM Junkie/Addict threads usually just decend into a junkie bashing fest and nothing is achieved either way.

A dedicated thread would have a very clear set of guidelines (so be careful what you wish for!), giving everyone an equal say as a lot of people are affected by this drug scourge on our city.

Guys, leave your stories for other threads pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

For simplicity I've added a pole to the thread, everyone say "hello" to 'Agneskia'.

A quality name!

Yes Mairt, I think a dedicated thread is a great idea. The number of users within the city seems to have increased a lot and it's a subject worth discussing if we can, as you mention, not let it descend into a junkie bashing thread.

A quality name!

Yes Mairt, I think a dedicated thread is a great idea. The number of users within the city seems to have increased a lot and it's a subject worth discussing if we can, as you mention, not let it descend into a junkie bashing thread.

Thank you.

Tbh, it would only be with the co-operation of the other Mods as its a discussion which would likely generate a lot of heated discussion and it wouldn't be fair of me to trust it upon the other moderators without discussing the idea with them.

This thread was only minutes old and I was issuing warnings!.. Doesn't bode well for a dedicated thread tbh, but rather sticking with the status quo where there's a general free for all once it comes to discussing Dublin's drug problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yeah I understand your position. It wouldn't be fair on them to greenlight a thread such as the one your proposing and to have it spiral out of control with bans, deleted posts, warnings etc all over the place- catching them off guard.

It's a good idea and I'd hope that people would read any guidelines issued and stick to the subject at hand. Let's hope that can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It would be interesting to see where all of 'em came from, you don't become a rampant heroin addict overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I voted no, I just don't really like megathreads. I think they can take away from a forum rather than add to it.

Guys there are a number of posts deleted in this thread already.

If you posted, and your post doesn't appear here its because it was completely off topic and useless to the discussion.

If your going to post a sad story, save it for another thread. Your time would be better spent voting 'Yes' or 'No' to the thread idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Time to discuss our problems instead of pushing them under the carpet. Not just boards but Ireland as a whole, we have a talented knack of turning the blind eye to the unsavory side of our society: Drug Abuse, Anti-Social behavior, child abuse, prostitution, teenage pregnancy, welfare abuse, alcoholism, homelessness, poverty, illiteracy, std's and corruption. We all grew up under the guidance of our Irish mothers who only ever saw what they wanted to see.

sagat2 wrote: »
    Time to discuss our problems instead of pushing them under the carpet. Not just boards but Ireland as a whole, we have a talented knack of turning the blind eye to the unsavory side of our society: Drug Abuse, Anti-Social behavior, child abuse, prostitution, teenage pregnancy, welfare abuse, alcoholism, homelessness, poverty, illiteracy, std's and corruption. We all grew up under the guidance of our Irish mothers who only ever saw what they wanted to see.

Is that a 'Yes' to the thread?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I cant work it out, is this thread a pisstake or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I voted yes, The subject comes up a lot...Lets keep it on the one thread..

Guys thanks for taking the time to give your input and/or vote.

The thread is five hours old and there was one banning, and a few warnings issued.

I fear a mega thread would wipe out the forum.

Not enough Mod's & too many muppets for it to happen.

JosDel I'm sincerely very sorry to hear about your son & the pain it must be causing to your family.

Just thought I'd throw out the idea of wrapping it all up in one thread - ain't a snowballs chance of that happening now, sorry. There really isn't enough time or Mods to look after it.

Let the idiocy continue in the now regular junkie/addict threads and use the report button as necessary.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement