Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N/M11 motorway (for discussing COMPLETED sections)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

mfitzy wrote:
    How about N11 traffic from Wex go via N80 to Carlow and then link in with the N9 there. I guess thouggh as someone else has pointed out it would congest the Naas road even worse than at present.

Slightly off point, but I think the example of upgrading the N1, N2, N3 and N4 all through Meath is poor planning. Why not link them to eachother properly in line with Navan from Ardee across to Enfield. It seems unneccessary to upgrade all these roads to motorway running almost simultaneously out from Dublin.
    Its a pity someone didn't say this years ago. Or did they?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

They all picked on the N9 instead initiated by Senator Dardis from Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bards wrote:
    They all picked on the N9 instead initiated by Senator Dardis from Kildare

Especially seen as he's suppose to rep South Kildare where the N9 is the main serving route with an accident rate well above the national average. Clearly he didn't put any value on the lives of his constituents. It's also one the busiest sections of any road in Ireland. Baffling to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

mfitzy wrote:
    Slightly off point, but I think the example of upgrading the N1, N2, N3 and N4 all through Meath is poor planning. Why not link them to eachother properly in line with Navan from Ardee across to Enfield. It seems unneccessary to upgrade all these roads to motorway running almost simultaneously out from Dublin.
    From what i hear it didn't happen because of vested interests , but I've absolutely no proof to back this up:(

The N3 to Cavan and Donegal should have been redesigned to go Dublin - Clonee - Black Bull - Trim - Cavan Town - Ballyshannon(South Donegal). This would have provided better transport links to OTHER midland counties, not currently well served.
    Navan & Kells could be fed via a feeder road off Slane, like Ardee is from the M1(as part of the outer M50 which is going to happen ANYWAY). Hence the traffic level on the N3 via Blanchardstown would be reduced, whilst the journey times for people travelling Navan - Slane - Dublin would still be improved.

However, Meath coco wanted a brand new motorway going past the county's capital town to be able to attract investment into the town to rejuvenate it, so the best way to ensure this was to dismiss other alternatives which would bring the motorway away from Navan. If they were interested in commuters they would have compaigned for the train years ago, but commuters don't pay rates like companies do!
    The real loser will be the people living in the Blanchardstown Clonee region, traffic will be terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

From what i hear it didn't happen because of vested interests , but I've absolutely no proof to back this up:(
    Is this sarcasm? I presumed that Meath's 3rd and 4th motorways (the commuter cul-de-sacs) were built to facilitate politically connected landowners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There is going to be an accident on the N11 over the next couple of days, at the slip road from the bray south exit (northbound) Couldn't believe what i was seeing this morning when i came down on to it - they have put barriers up on the left to stop people turning for enniscarey (def not how it is supposed to be spelt...) but haven't left even nearly enough rom to ensure cars can actually get on to the n11 before the lane becoems a wall. I almost got smashed this morning cause the person in the driving lane wouldn't let me out tl the very last moment, and the same happened to the gf when she was heading that way too. Terrible traffic management, and if there aren't a few crashes because of it I will be shocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tauren wrote:
    There is going to be an accident on the N11 over the next couple of days, at the slip road from the bray south exit (northbound) Couldn't believe what i was seeing this morning when i came down on to it - they have put barriers up on the left to stop people turning for enniscarey (def not how it is supposed to be spelt...) but haven't left even nearly enough rom to ensure cars can actually get on to the n11 before the lane becoems a wall. I almost got smashed this morning cause the person in the driving lane wouldn't let me out tl the very last moment, and the same happened to the gf when she was heading that way too. Terrible traffic management, and if there aren't a few crashes because of it I will be shocked.
    Report it and copy it to the local garda and the Health & Safety Authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Tauren wrote:
    I almost got smashed this morning cause the person in the driving lane wouldn't let me out tl the very last moment, and the same happened to the gf when she was heading that way too. Terrible traffic management, and if there aren't a few crashes because of it I will be shocked.

It doesn't excuse an unsafe road layout, but any crash would have been your fault, not that of the guy on the main road.

mackerski wrote:
    It doesn't excuse an unsafe road layout, but any crash would have been your fault, not that of the guy on the main road.
    I know, i would have come to a stop if i had to (which probably would have resulted in the back of my car being lost to the driver behind me), but that really isn't my point - my point is that this situation shouldn't have been allowed to develop at all, i'm dreading coming down that slip road in the mornings now!

Victor wrote:
    Report it and copy it to the local garda and the Health & Safety Authority.
    would that have any affect? The gardai have been at the spot over the last couple of weeks preventing people from taking the now blocked turn off, so i imagine they are well aware of the new layout - and if they are they are clearly not concerned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Could someone clarify what the current works are about on the N11? There are two schemes I'm refering to, one near the green metal ped bridge and the other seems to be a realignmant near the tap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

murphaph wrote:
    and the other seems to be a realignmant near the tap?

It's a pretty sharp bend there, perhaps there have been a few accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Read the end of page 9 on this thread, Clogh to Ticknock (junction at Fruit farm north of Gorey) will open on July 5th, the remainder in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

murphaph wrote:
    Could someone clarify what the current works are about on the N11? ....and the other seems to be a realignmant near the tap?

The realignment near the tap is where there was a fatal accident today. I think the newsreader said there have been 23 accidents on that short stretch in the last few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I suppose because it's not a bypass that's needed it doesn't really affect the voters in the same way and if peeps from wexford/wicklow are honest, they're doing quite well on the N11 front compared to all the other radial routes bar the N1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

PoolDude wrote:
    I see on the Times, it brings the total to 16 deaths in 9 years on that stretch of road and that Martin Cullen committed last week to the N11 being dual carriageway from Dublin to Rosslare by 2012.

According to the offical stats, it's not even in the top 10 of the most dangerous roads in the country.
    see page 5 of 12
    http://217.174.251.13/library/pdfs/results_ireland.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 drfisher

The safety of that road is only half of the picture. The region is serviced by a comical train service, with an average speed of about 25mph on the Gorey-Dublin route and a journey time of around 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats the delay? I'm not familair with the northern link point but at the southern end it all done as far as I can see. Or at least done enough to use the by-pass if you don't want to leave it before reaching the northern end.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

Here is the latest official update:

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/Thefile,5142,en.pdf

SIGNIFICANT DATES
    ORIGINAL OPENING DATE 7TH NOVEMBER 2007
    BYPASS CHARITY WALK ON 1ST JULY 2007 AT 2PM
    OPEN CLOGH TO TINNOCK BY 5TH JULY 2007
    OPEN TINNOCK TO ARKLOW BYPASS BY 5TH SEPTEMBER 2007

does anyone know why there is still a 60kph limit goign northbound on the N11 at the bray south exit? I know there is some construction work going on in the field at the following turn off, but there has been stuff going on there for ages without the need for a 60 limit, and the road itself is back to what it was before the 60kph limit was originally imposed.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    does anyone know why there is still a 60kph limit goign northbound on the N11 at the bray south exit?

I'm guessing here, but I made a similar enquiry to Wicklow Co Co about the need for such a long 60km/h limit for the Kilpedder interchange works.

The answer seems to be the red tape involved in obtaining a road works speed limit order (RWSLO) covering the land made available for a contract. A RWSLO involves drawing up detailed plans and making them available for a one month consultation persiod to the NRA and Gardaí.

Because of this red tape, it is apparently not practical to only enforce short-term speed limits where the work is actually taking place. Instead, the council will apply a blanket speed limit over all the all the land where work might, at some stage in the distant future, possiblly take place.

Apparently there is a different situation in the UK, where the area goverened by a special speed limit can be moved as the works progress. This seems a far better idea.

This was the situation at the Kilpedder interchange. Perhaps it's the same at the Bray exit.

drfisher wrote:
    I'm guessing here, but I made a similar enquiry to Wicklow Co Co about the need for such a long 60km/h limit for the Kilpedder interchange works.

The answer seems to be the red tape involved in obtaining a road works speed limit order (RWSLO) covering the land made available for a contract. A RWSLO involves drawing up detailed plans and making them available for a one month consultation persiod to the NRA and Gardaí.

Because of this red tape, it is apparently not practical to only enforce short-term speed limits where the work is actually taking place. Instead, the council will apply a blanket speed limit over all the all the land where work might, at some stage in the distant future, possiblly take place.

Apparently there is a different situation in the UK, where the area goverened by a special speed limit can be moved as the works progress. This seems a far better idea.

This was the situation at the Kilpedder interchange. Perhaps it's the same at the Bray exit.
    cheers for the info - i can't believe that is the case though (not that i think you are wrong, just shocked such crap goes on)

Its a place like this that get people angry about spped limits; 40% slower then it used to be for no real reason. disgusting.

I noticed the other day the the gorey bypass has the new style NRA road signs with numbered exits. The revision of speed limits was supposed to be part of the same roll-out. Does anyone know if they have put 120kph signs on teh Gorey bypass??

PoolDude wrote:
    BTW - Be prepared for a new temporary road layout in both directions at Kilpedder for those of you who have not already experienced it.

You're not joking!! I drive this a few times a week and it still had me thinking. If this road layout was during the winter, with poor driving conditions, it would cause serious accidents. Even respecting the speed limit, the swerve to the right creeps up on you.

Does anyone know the completion date for thid project? I have a feeling it will drag on. Apparently it involves a new overlay/alignment between kilpedder and glen of the downs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Think there is a section of the road up near the Enniskerry turn-off thats going to be closed next weekend people. Its on Saturday night, through to the early hours of Sunday morning I think. Its to facilitate the erection of the footbridge there. Same the weekend after aswell

its just saturday night til sunday afternoon isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tauren wrote:
    its just saturday night til sunday afternoon isn't it?
    Supposedly Saturday 8pm to Sunday 2pm, but I wouldn't rule out a slight overrun. Traffic through Bray will be chaos at the weekend .. we're hunkering down with supplies to last until Monday :)

hmmm, i'm due to fly in to dublin airport saturday night about 10:30, and was planning on getting a taxi back to greystones... hopefully the detour through bray won't cost me too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Avoid it like the plague, expect serious delays.

• Advertisement

Avoid it like the plague, expect serious delays.
    would if i could´- can't think of another way to greystones!:D

Advertisement