Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuition Fees

Options
  • 29-07-2010 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

I curious as to where and whom I should apply when getting my college fees paid.

I'm currently live in Dublin but only moved here a month ago, prior to that I was living in Galway for two years and before that in the family home in Mayo. So I'm not sure where to apply.

Do I apply to the council or VEC?

Also I've read here that you need to have proof of address from the previous October when applying, is this true? If so would a letter from the Department of Social Welfare suffice?

Hopefully somebody can help me, as there usually is one on here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi ya,

Check www.studentfinacne.ie they'll point you in the right direction. Yes you need proof of address as of oct 09. You need to apply to the authority you resided in, in 09. I'm sure social welfare should suffice. But there is a lot of documentation invloved in the grant. SW statements (which take forever to come back) p60's p21's (if you were working in 09) and various other pieces of info. I'd advice you to download the grant form and guidelines on student finance and get cracking asap. Closing date for applications is Aug 31st and you need time to get all your documents together. Hope this helps a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Hey, thanks for the help with this smiler. Going to be a real pain in this áss having to travel to and from Galway getting this sorted.

No work for me in 09 so just have to sort the SW statement.

One more question, do I have to supply all the info regarding the parents questions seeing as I'm applying as an independant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

HoPpiE wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for the help with this smiler. Going to be a real pain in this áss having to travel to and from Galway getting this sorted.

One more question, do I have to supply all the info regarding the parents questions seeing as I'm applying as an independant?

No, If your an independent mature student then you don't have to answer any info regarding your parents.

Did you do a course previously HoPpie? Because If so you will only qualify as an independent mature If you graduated from that course over 3 years ago. Its a new rule that has been brought in this year that has affected me and many other candidates.

No Panda, luckily I don't face that problem as I've not done any course since finishing my Leaving Cert, but thanks for the heads up and info regarding me application.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

HoPpiE wrote: »

Were you unemployed in 2010 - If so you may be entitled to BTEA?

Also you are only deemed an independent mature student if you are over 23

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Ya I've already applied to BTEA. I'm looking for the grant to pay my registration fee.

Advertisement