Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling O2 billpay contract

Options
  • 29-07-2010 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

I'm sure loads of people have been asking about this already so sorry in advance for repetition! I just want to know how to go about cancelling my O2 contract, since they upped the price of voicemail calling I should be able to cancel it early without penalty. I want to switch to a cheaper plan cos I have the 45eur a month iPhone plan but my iPhone was stolen (not insured) and I don't intend to buy another one. Can I just go into the shop and say I want to cancel the contract then & there, or do I have to jump through hoops (provide proof of address etc etc)? Anyone who's done it pls let me know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

You had the chance to cancel your contract if you were on the new advance plans but had to do it before 12th July I am afraid...

You will probably have to pay your contract off to be released, I got moved to a cheaper plan and am not on a 30 day plan, give customer care or Daryll from O2 (who is on these forums) a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 konstruktsiya

Ah, I must have missed the boat. Never mind. What's an advance plan?

Ah, I must have missed the boat. Never mind. What's an advance plan?

The advance plans are the new Iphone plans, Here are the plans:

http://62.40.38.146/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/O2+Advance+tariffs

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

following the removal of the roaming add on earlier this year and now the increase of the cost per calls/txts outside your bundle (found out about the price increase on boards, thanks for the notification o2 ), seriously doubt i will be getting a new contract with them in the future.

from reading some of the replys in some of the other threads, can you actully cancel your contract and stay on your current bundle just as if your contract had simply expired.

to put it another way, i am aware that when your contract runs its normal term, ie 12/18 months you stay on your bundle without having to renew, but if i ask to be released before the term completes can i continue to use that bundle and phone out of contract, or do i have to cancel my service altogether and go to prepay or another provider and port my number

could i also ask to be released my from my broadband contact as well as both were renewed at the same time, and continue to use it as above like the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 konstruktsiya

I just want to switch to a new plan altogether (with a different network) when my contract is up for renewal in Sep, can I just say to them 'I'm not renewing the contract'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

With O2 when people have changed plans they have in the past tied them into 18 month contract renewal. Know a few people it happened to, so if you are changing plans but do not want to be tied in again make sure you ask if that will happen

I just want to switch to a new plan altogether (with a different network) when my contract is up for renewal in Sep, can I just say to them 'I'm not renewing the contract'?

long as your contract is up, you can move to who you like with no penalty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lakshman

I just received a bill for over Eur 500 because I didn't read the small print. You will need to pay all of your monthly charges up to the end of your contract in order to break it. They told me that if I had called in advance to cancel they could have changed the contract to make the amount smaller but somehow I doubt this would have been the case. I paid regularly, on time, my increasing bills for something like three years and when they landed this bill on me they wouldn't consider reducing it even by a cent.

My new plan with 3 is far better. They gave me a much nicer phone. I could never get an upgrade with 02 and could never figure out why.

Call them up, negotiate what you can to save some money and then move to someone else, anyone else...

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

lakshman wrote: »
    I just received a bill for over Eur 500 because I didn't read the small print. You will need to pay all of your monthly charges up to the end of your contract in order to break it. They told me that if I had called in advance to cancel they could have changed the contract to make the amount smaller but somehow I doubt this would have been the case. I paid regularly, on time, my increasing bills for something like three years and when they landed this bill on me they wouldn't consider reducing it even by a cent.

My new plan with 3 is far better. They gave me a much nicer phone. I could never get an upgrade with 02 and could never figure out why.

Call them up, negotiate what you can to save some money and then move to someone else, anyone else...

Best of luck!

Tis, long as its over 6 months since you've been on your initial plan and its not an iphone plan you're entitled to drop to the lowest plan there is to reduce any cancellation charge if you plan on porting off the network.

As for the upgrade thing, you need to spend a certain amount to qualify, upgrades are based on spend and tenure, previously you were guaranteed to get one after 18 month regardless no matter what you spent, its more strict these days

Be all that as it may, I walked into another shop and got a splendid upgrade to a much better phone just for signing up. With 02 I had a contract of around Eur 85 or 90 per month for some 6 months and one for I think around Eur 60 a month for a year or so before that and all this time my bills were up around the 100 mark and often up around 120, sometimes up to the 200 mark. The cancelation charge alone says to me that my 'spend' was quite high and was certainly always paid on time. Plenty of people don't read all the small print of every thing they sign up for, mainly because we don't have the time to do so. I was hoping that because Eur 500 is alot of money and because I have been a good customer that they would show some flexibility, but no, none whatsoever. 10 or so days until Christmas, I have a young family, but no, I didn't read small print so they deserve their Eur 500.

However, now my wife is also going to switch. She is on pay as you go so no cancelation fee there. None of my children, when they are old enough to have phones will ever get an 02 phone from me and everyone I know will hear about the 500 quid I've had to pay 10 days before Christmas so I should imagine that in return for their paltry 500, they will end up losing several thousand in future business. Seems shortsighted to me. I am a small business owner and regularly negotiate with good customers believing it is an investment in future business. 02 obviously needs thier 500 upfront rather than thinking long term or incentivising me in some way to return to them.

Not very nice. May the supervisor who chose to ignore my plea for clemency, but who chose to stick to the letter of the contract have the lovely Christmas they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

krudler wrote: »
    Tis, long as its over 6 months since you've been on your initial plan and its not an iphone plan you're entitled to drop to the lowest plan

I'm pretty sure that's changed, now if you want to change price plans, you have to renew your contract for 12 or 18mts. You can't simply go down to the lowest plan and leave.

I'm pretty sure that's changed, now if you want to change price plans, you have to renew your contract for 12 or 18mts. You can't simply go down to the lowest plan and leave.

depends on the tariff you're on, if its an iphone you cant as you have to be on an advance plan for the duration of the contract so you can only drop to the lowest one which is 45 pm, any of the clear plans you can change down and lower the cancellation fee.

Be all that as it may, I walked into another shop and got a splendid upgrade to a much better phone just for signing up. With 02 I had a contract of around Eur 85 or 90 per month for some 6 months and one for I think around Eur 60 a month for a year or so before that and all this time my bills were up around the 100 mark and often up around 120, sometimes up to the 200 mark. The cancelation charge alone says to me that my 'spend' was quite high and was certainly always paid on time. Plenty of people don't read all the small print of every thing they sign up for, mainly because we don't have the time to do so. I was hoping that because Eur 500 is alot of money and because I have been a good customer that they would show some flexibility, but no, none whatsoever. 10 or so days until Christmas, I have a young family, but no, I didn't read small print so they deserve their Eur 500.

However, now my wife is also going to switch. She is on pay as you go so no cancelation fee there. None of my children, when they are old enough to have phones will ever get an 02 phone from me and everyone I know will hear about the 500 quid I've had to pay 10 days before Christmas so I should imagine that in return for their paltry 500, they will end up losing several thousand in future business. Seems shortsighted to me. I am a small business owner and regularly negotiate with good customers believing it is an investment in future business. 02 obviously needs thier 500 upfront rather than thinking long term or incentivising me in some way to return to them.

sigh...your cancellation charge is based on your monthly tariff x time left on the contract, say 60 per month for 8 months or whatever, it has nothing to do with your monthly spend.

If you're on a tariff for 60 per month and your bills are coming in at 200 you're on the wrong plan, simple as, you can easily get the bills lowered by staying within the tariff.

Not very nice. May the supervisor who chose to ignore my plea for clemency, but who chose to stick to the letter of the contract have the lovely Christmas they deserve.

Nice, you dont read the t&cs (your fault) move off the network without checking the consequences (also your fault) and then want the network to lower a charge your incurred purely because its Christmas and then take it out on the employee because you dont get your own way? why SHOULD they lower the cancel fee, you cancelled the contract, end of story, you signed in for 18 months or whatever, and cancelled before the end of that time period, its not rocket science. When you get a contract you have 7 days to read the t&cs and return the product if you dont agree to them, you didnt, so you owe them the money, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

, any of the clear plans you can change down and lower the cancellation fee.

You can't, you have to enter a new a 12 or 18mt Contract if you want to change your price plan.

sigh...your cancellation charge is based on your monthly tariff x time left on the contract, say 60 per month for 8 months or whatever, it has nothing to do with your monthly spend.

If you're on a tariff for 60 per month and your bills are coming in at 200 you're on the wrong plan, simple as, you can easily get the bills lowered by staying within the tariff.

Nice, you dont read the t&cs (your fault) move off the network without checking the consequences (also your fault) and then want the network to lower a charge your incurred purely because its Christmas and then take it out on the employee because you dont get your own way? why SHOULD they lower the cancel fee, you cancelled the contract, end of story, you signed in for 18 months or whatever, and cancelled before the end of that time period, its not rocket science. When you get a contract you have 7 days to read the t&cs and return the product if you dont agree to them, you didnt, so you owe them the money, simple as.

Congratulations Krudler! You are a true warrior who rides to the defence of the poor giant corporation. I am truly inspired and I am sure the 02 company truely appreciates your support. Presumably you never make mistakes and if you do I am sure you are such a stout human being as to never, ever ask for any kind of leniency. You are solid gold mate. Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

A deal is a deal if you signed for eighteen months you should honour it. O2 is a first rate network and like Vodafone charge first rate prices . Three and meteor are third and fourth rate networks and to get customers are cheaper. In any case great phones can now be had contract free upgrade or not for upgrade prices like the san Francisco. Contracts are dodgy territory. The network want a constant predictable income stream and in return offer cheaper handsets its a con really . We would be better buying our own handset then having far cheaper monthly rates. Saying all that I signed with meteor on a desire for 18 months at 25 a month with a gig and 200 minutes as the deal suited me but in retrospect switching to Tesco mobile on pay as you go data and ten cent calls would be cheaper with no major commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

My 18 month contract with them ends in Jan ....... roll one cause I'm pretty sure I'll be with either 3 or Meteor then ;)

Congratulations Krudler! You are a true warrior who rides to the defence of the poor giant corporation. I am truly inspired and I am sure the 02 company truely appreciates your support. Presumably you never make mistakes and if you do I am sure you are such a stout human being as to never, ever ask for any kind of leniency. You are solid gold mate. Happy Christmas.

You signed a contract, broke the terms of that contract and were penalised as clearly stated by the terms of the contract you signed, seriously what part of that dont you understand?

You can't, you have to enter a new a 12 or 18mt Contract if you want to change your price plan.

only if you're taking a clear extra or its an advance plan, dropping from a clear 350 to a clear 50 or something doesnt. its common practice to do this for people who are leaving the country or want out of their contract and are past the first 6 months of their intitial plan.

lomb wrote: »
    A deal is a deal if you signed for eighteen months you should honour it. O2 is a first rate network and like Vodafone charge first rate prices . Three and meteor are third and fourth rate networks and to get customers are cheaper. In any case great phones can now be had contract free upgrade or not for upgrade prices like the san Francisco. Contracts are dodgy territory. The network want a constant predictable income stream and in return offer cheaper handsets its a con really . We would be better buying our own handset then having far cheaper monthly rates. Saying all that I signed with meteor on a desire for 18 months at 25 a month with a gig and 200 minutes as the deal suited me but in retrospect switching to Tesco mobile on pay as you go data and ten cent calls would be cheaper with no major commitment.

O2 is certainly not a first rate network, their data network I found was poor and they couldn't give me a decent signal, they are expensive, I have left them and so glad I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

angel01 wrote: »
    O2 is certainly not a first rate network, their data network I found was poor and they couldn't give me a decent signal, they are expensive, I have left them and so glad I did.

Hi Angel,

+1 on what you said there.

not sure if you were on a contract but i am for another 9 months and i am still trying to get out of it.

calls and texts are fine but the internet service is just crap. i've been ringing them constantly to fix it and even had my phone - a nokia n97 mini - ok you can stop laughing now - serviced and had firmware and software upgragdes but i was still have connection drop outs or couldn't connect to the internet. i was looking at a youtube video yesterday and still the the connection would freeze or drop out.

their customer care team is the worst i have ever dealt with. i was speaking with a supervisor who over a week ago told me of some internet problems in my area and that he would call me back with a report on update. one week on, no phone call. i think ill give them a call today and find out whats going on

Funky G wrote: »
    Hi Angel,

+1 on what you said there.

not sure if you were on a contract but i am for another 9 months and i am still trying to get out of it.

calls and texts are fine but the internet service is just crap. i've been ringing them constantly to fix it and even had my phone - a nokia n97 mini - ok you can stop laughing now - serviced and had firmware and software upgragdes but i was still have connection drop outs or couldn't connect to the internet. i was looking at a youtube video yesterday and still the the connection would freeze or drop out.

their customer care team is the worst i have ever dealt with. i was speaking with a supervisor who over a week ago told me of some internet problems in my area and that he would call me back with a report on update. one week on, no phone call. i think ill give them a call today and find out whats going on

I got released from my contract due to the data connection, keep on at them and let them know they are not providing a service you need. I got released in the end because they told me there was nothing more they could do.

So glad to be free of them now, contact the mods on the o2 forum, keep pressing them, that is what I did and eventually got released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

Hi FunkyG, feel free to contact us on o2.ie/help or send me a PM here and I can check for an update for you.

Just to clarify as well folks that if you are lowering your plan within the same range of plans you don't have to recontract. So O2 Clear 350 to O2 Clear 50 for instance does not involve a new contract, but O2 Clear 350 to Advance 150 would.

Hope that helps! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

Hi Sheena,
    I'm with O2 but would like to find out how much time I have left on my contract. Is it ok if I pm you with my mobile number?

Thanks,
    C

O2_Sheena wrote: »
    Hi FunkyG, feel free to contact us on o2.ie/help or send me a PM here and I can check for an update for you.

Just to clarify as well folks that if you are lowering your plan within the same range of plans you don't have to recontract. So O2 Clear 350 to O2 Clear 50 for instance does not involve a new contract, but O2 Clear 350 to Advance 150 would.

Hope that helps! :)

Hi Sheena

That is not true what you have said - i asked that question to your rep in O2 Blanchardstown about 2 weeks ago and she said that if i move from one tariff or another, up or down or similar in pricing, i would be entering a new 12 month contract with O2 with no chance of an upgrade till the 12 months are up.

Please PM me your email address so i can give you a full statement as the PM here isnt big enough!

G.

Cork Exile wrote: »
    Hi Sheena,
    I'm with O2 but would like to find out how much time I have left on my contract. Is it ok if I pm you with my mobile number?

Thanks,
    C

Hi Cork Exile

Any O2 outlet in the country can bring up your details, I think carphone warehouse can do it as well. bill pay customers can ring 1909, enter your details and be patient as you could be in a queue to speak to a rep for while. Could be 5 - 10 mins, that's from my experience. you might get lucky if you get to speak to rep fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 binu

Hi iam with o2 on billpay iam out of contract now so i rang o2 customer care they are telling me that they rang me from customer care when i was out of my contract whether i wanted to continue and according to them i told them yes.i never signed a contract the second time.they said a verbal contract is enough,is that right can somebody help me please.... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 binu

:)
    binu wrote: »
    Hi iam with o2 on billpay iam out of contract now so i rang o2 customer care they are telling me that they rang me from customer care when i was out of my contract whether i wanted to continue and according to them i told them yes.i never signed a contract the second time.they said a verbal contract is enough,is that right can somebody help me please.... thanks

Advertisement