Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options here?

Options
  • 29-07-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a new car. The car has an "in built" mobile phone, which requires me to insert a SIM in a tray on the dashboard. Now I have tried the SIM from my mobile phone, and it works fine, but I don't want to be taking it out, and back in everytime in get into the car.

I don't really want to get a new kit in the car, so can I get an extra SIM that has the same phone number as my current SIM? I'm with O2, in case that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

You don't have many (nice) options. The sim slot in the dash is really a dumb idea as you can't get duplicate sims (at least I think you can't register the same number on the network twice).

Does the built in phone support bluetooth with phonebook access?

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    I recently bought a new car. The car has an "in built" mobile phone, which requires me to insert a SIM in a tray on the dashboard. Now I have tried the SIM from my mobile phone, and it works fine, but I don't want to be taking it out, and back in everytime in get into the car.

I don't really want to get a new kit in the car, so can I get an extra SIM that has the same phone number as my current SIM? I'm with O2, in case that makes any difference.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Put a new sim into it, and forward calls to it from your phone while in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

That sounds like a bloody ridiculous idea! What's wrong with bluetooth handsfree kits...

Although I suppose in the American moooovies you do see those full blown telephones in cars haha! So it's in line with that...

I'd say Davy's forwarding idea would be best, although annoying if you have to manually turn forwarding on/off every time you get in/out of the car! my Dad's phone automatically goes through the built-in bluetooth handsfree in the car whenever it's in range...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Thanks for the replies folks. There is no bluetooth kit in the car, and I don't really fancy getting an extra SIM and I'll need to make and receive calls when in the car. I have an iPhone, so I guess I'll just have to get a kit installed. I was looking at this (PARROT MKi9100). Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks. There is no bluetooth kit in the car, and I don't really fancy getting an extra SIM and I'll need to make and receive calls when in the car. I have an iPhone, so I guess I'll just have to get a kit installed. I was looking at this (PARROT MKi9100). Is it any good?

You will find good info related to the iPhone in the Apple forum here:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1176

Parrot are pretty decent kits, i have one myself and find it good. Its not that exact model though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

you can usually setup speed dials to turn divert on/off so it's not a massive chore. i like the forwarding idea but shocking there's not bluetooth too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

What car is this as a matter of interest?

Advertisement