Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vee Challenge Youghal Aug 8th

• 29-07-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

http://sites.google.com/site/youghalcyclingclubsite/

Anyone planning on doing this?

Did anyone do it last year and if so what to expect?

Thinking about getting over to it for some much needed climbing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    http://sites.google.com/site/youghalcyclingclubsite/

Anyone planning on doing this?

Did anyone do it last year and if so what to expect?

Thinking about getting over to it for some much needed climbing...

Might be up for that myself Pat. Hopefully the new bike will be ready by then. Compact will help.

Actually, if the bike is ready, I might be on the way back home on it that w/e. Might drop by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Yeah il be heading down to youghal for it alright for the 130km..

Looking forward to having a crack off it twice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

murf85 wrote: »
    Looking forward to having a crack off it twice!

Not been up it myself - what's 'she' like?

Not been up it myself - what's 'she' like?

Just climbed it once, in the tour de cure back in may. The road surface was pretty rough on the decent into Lismore. But other than that, found it a bit tough but really enjoyed the pain...was one of those climbs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Am I reading the routes correct, the 130 route takes in the vee twice and the 90 doesnt use it at all???
    Its a long drag but when I did it in TdC I was in the big ring all the way up and I am no mountain goat! I dont see any problems with the climb, anyone who can cycle 90km would be more than able to cycle the vee. Shame its not worked into the route.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

The 90Km route does go up the Vee from the Lismore side, it just turn back on its self about 2k from the top and heads back to Cappoquin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Cheers, I knew I was reading it wrong... why turn 2 km from the summit though? a tad frustrating for those who battle their way up never to see whats at the other side of the mountain;)

So does anyone have any idea what the turn out like this is gonna be? Planning on heading to it anyway...gotta break out the new boards gear...so il be the guy being passed out going up the Vee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

So does anyone have any idea what the turn out like this is gonna be? Planning on heading to it anyway...gotta break out the new boards gear...so il be the guy being passed out going up the Vee :D

i'll be similarily attired for the occasion. myself and @funkyzeit are heading down. might strike out a bit before the scheduled 10am start to get back to youghal for as much of the hurling as possible.

ajk24 wrote: »
    i'll be similarily attired for the occasion. myself and @funkyzeit are heading down. might strike out a bit before the scheduled 10am start to get back to youghal for as much of the hurling as possible.

If ye would like some company id be well up for getting back for the game?will be heading out with a buddy but he has only gone 90km before. The pace might just kill him but we can tag along with ye for as long as possible anyway?

• Advertisement

If ye would like some company id be well up for getting back for the game?will be heading out with a buddy but he has only gone 90km before. The pace might just kill him but we can tag along with ye for as long as possible anyway?

Sounds good Murf - PM me or ajk your number.

As for Pace - not done anything myself last couple of weeks so it'll be 'leisurely' at best ! Altough rumour has it ajk has actually spent the last 2 weeks high altitude training in the Alps specfically for this...

@ On the Nickel - Aidan - give me a buzz/text if you are going to be around..

Sounds good Murf - PM me or ajk your number.

As for Pace - not done anything myself last couple of weeks so it'll be 'leisurely' at best ! Altough rumour has it ajk has actually spent the last 2 weeks high altitude training in the Alps specfically for this...

@ On the Nickel - Aidan - give me a buzz/text if you are going to be around..

if by high altitude training you mean hours spent in physios/chiropractors + purchasing a 12-27 casette (is this mechanical doping??)

ouch - 4hrs 44 mins for 115.5km (I gave the 8km loop into ardmore a skip. my hip had seized up). fantastic weather.

Nice clip for the 1st 3 hours - the vee was fine - harder heading north but nothing that required getting out of the saddle. lost the wheel of @funkyzeit's group that I had been with all day after about 80km and just kept going backwards.

hr hit 199bpm on a number of occassions (206 is my max).

28km in the first hour which included a slow controlled start though the town and a long long drag to tallow. the guys at the front were hammering it. they passed us going back up the vee as we were decending for the 1st time so they had 7km on us after 54km.

very enjoyable suffering. only 2 weeks back on the bike so all in all very
    happy.

photo from food stop - 75km in - me on the left - pat on the right

123260.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Ye enjoyed this one today. Covered the 124k in 4:30. The Vee was fine in both directions,but the final climb up Ferrypoint was murder with its 17% gradient.
    Met Murph 85 at the food stop, with his fancy new Boards gear on. Looks really well too.
    Well done to Youghal CC for a well organised spin,and will hopefully be back next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hey FunkyZ how did that bottom bracket hold up?

Great day yesterday about 4.40 for the 125k. Weather made it - View coming down the north side of the Vee was smashing.

Kudos to Youghal cycling club who were great on the day - apart from putting that poxy 17% hill in near the end....

Ajk - fair play - cycling a route like that after a few weeks back is nothing to be sniffed at.
    Hey FunkyZ how did that bottom bracket hold up?

Superb thxs RR - must be my good (cheap) mechanic...

Advertisement