Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companion Dog

Options
  • 29-07-2010 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

Recently myself and the OH split up and she moved out. I have a dog (he's staying with me) and a decent enough sized back garden in the house. Unfortunately, as it's just me and Gibbs now, he has to spend a bit more time alone each day. the ex left for work after me and was home before me. I'm gone about 9 1/2 hours a day. Should i get a companion female dog for him? He is a happy dog, well taken care of in terms of exercise, walked twice a day etc, so he gets loads of time and care and attention, i'm just wondering if it's an idea to get a second dog for during the days while i'm at work??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It's still a long time to be leaving 2 dogs.

Any dog walkers local to you that could take him out during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

It is an idea to explore but just remember, 2 dogs equals double the cleaning, double the vets bills, double the food bills and double the amount of attention you will need to give them when you get home. I have 3 dogs and while they do keep each other company while I'm in work its my attention they really crave.
    A dog walker might also be worth exploring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I think a second dog is a great idea. Yes they are a bit more work and extra expense but they do a great job of keeping each other company, and you get double the love in return :p

I was only thinking today about people who give out blue murder about dogs being left at home on their own all day, and while it is not ideal, is that not better than being stuck in kennels 24/7 (Pounds and a lot of rescue centres and even some homes) out wandering the street, or with someone all day who shows them no interest whatsoever.

If you feel you can give a second dog (prefarably a rescue dog) a good home where they are loved, exercised, fed and taken care of, go for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Well Gibbs is a rescue dog himself....Ashton Pound was where i found him, so it'd always be a rescue centre for me to be honest.

Advertisement