Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water softener

• 29-07-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭

is it possible to get water softener tablets for attic tank??
    or does a system have to be fitted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

?:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

You got to ...fit a system....mine cost €800 installed and warrantied.
    Costs approx €7 a bag of salt per 6 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

thanks can you send me on details? is it worth it in your view?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

totally worth it. I makes the water soft, so if you or anyone in the house has dry skin, its good for that. It's economical, does its thing without hassles. I'd defo recommend one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Can anyone recommend a good softener and where to buy it from.

What are the advantage/disadvantages of the different types etc.

Based in the WEST

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

Anyone heard of Envirosoft Water Softening system? I've had some leaflets dropped in my door lately and wonder if anyone can recommend this company (or any other for that matter!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Check out water2buy.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

Certainly you would need to put a system in, under your sink in the kitchen connected to the mains supply is the common location.

It will certainly make a difference to your water supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭aah yes

Avoid fitting under sink softeners if you can help it. You end up with the lower capacity softeners, they have a shorter life, need more frequent filling, take up all the room under your press, etc, noise, poss of flooding inside under low mains pressure conditions, etc.

Last place is attic second to last under sink.

First place is garage, or boiler house or shed, plenty of frost stat and frost protection methods available, also a good garage with double glazing, double cavity etc, has near zero problems with cold even at -20.

Maybe utility, maybe hot press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

I bought a softner from water2buy. It was about 500 and I fitted it myself in the pump house. Its was really easy to fit and I wouldnt be that great with plumbing. That was about 3 years ago and its still goin great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭aah yes

thomas01 wrote: »
    I bought a softner from water2buy. It was about 500 and I fitted it myself in the pump house. Its was really easy to fit and I wouldnt be that great with plumbing. That was about 3 years ago and its still goin great.

Its worth checking your water hardness / softness using a €1 hardness testing kit between the 3 to 6 year period for the smaller under sink systems, maybe every few months just to check performance, if you do not opt for annual servicing.

If your system is washing every day or every few days, it will likely have a shorter life as the ion exchange resin will start to wear out, or sooner depending on the quality of the resin.

For higher capacity US made volumetric water softeners Clack WS1CI, with a life of over 30 years, and service intervals needed only every 10 to 15 years, the price is around €500 DIY for the 22 litre resin system (10x24).

They are about 4 times the capacity of the 6 litre mini under sink systems, and about a quarter of the salt usage, or 1/6th the water use, and you would have a good upgrade if needed if your current system is a higher cost to run, or starts to need a main service after the 6 - 10 year period or so.

Advertisement