Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New JNLRs Today FM and 2FM equal

• 29-07-2010 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

In the new JNLRs out today 2fm and Today FM come out equal at 14%. It'll be interesting to see how the Colm and Lucy show has fared against G. Ryan's previous numbers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

In the new JNLRs out today 2fm and Today FM come out equal at 14%. It'll be interesting to see how the Colm and Lucy show has fared against G. Ryan's previous numbers.

Will this JNLR reflect that tho? Also intresting to see if Matt Cooper has stemed the tide and if Tom Dunne can repay the faith Newstalk has put in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.bai.ie/publications_jnlrresults.html

Market Share national
    RTE Lyric FM 1.6
    Newstalk 4.0
    Today FM 9.6
    RTE 2FM 9.3
    RTE Radio 1 22.6

Weekday reach national
    RTÉ Lyric FM 3%
    Newstalk 7%
    Today FM 14%
    RTÉ 2FM at 14%
    RTÉ Radio 1 at 24%

D'arcy up 4,000 2fm 9-12 down 10,000 Morning Ireland down 14,000. According to IrishTimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

Badabing wrote: »
    D'arcy up 4,000 2fm 9-12 down 10,000 Morning Ireland down 14,000. According to IrishTimes.

any link to it?

patrickc wrote: »
    any link to it?

Most of the State's best-known broadcasters have seen a fall in listenership in recent months according to the latest results from the JNLR/Ipsos MRBI survey.

The top ten most popular radio shows are still produced by RTÉ but broadcasters such as the Morning Ireland team, Liveline’s Joe Duffy, Drivetime's Mary Wilson and Pat Kenny all lost listeners in the period July 2009 - June 2010, compared with the period April 2009-March 2010.

The 2FM morning slot occupied by Gerry Ryan until his death at the end of April saw a loss of 10,000 listeners when compared with the last survey. Colm Hayes and Lucy Kennedy took over the slot on May 10th, towards the end of the survey period.

Today FM's Ray D'Arcy was one of the few presenters to increase his audience when compared with the last survey. His morning show picked up 4,000 listeners. Marian Finucane gained 1,000 listeners for her Sunday morning show but lost 1,000 for her Saturday show, which is the third most listened to programme in the State.

Another weekend show, the radio review show Playback gained listeners as did The Business , presented by John Murray. This augers well for the presenter who will replace Ryan Tubridy in the daily 9am slot in the autumn. Tubridy will leave Radio 1 to present the slot previously occupied by Gerry Ryan on 2FM.

Morning Ireland , the State's most listened to programme lost 14,000 listeners in this survey when compared with the previous survey. Liveline retained its Number 2 slot but lost 8,000 listeners.

RTÉ Radio's managing director Clare Duignan highlighted the gains for weekend programmes and said the core weekday programmes had been in sustained growth for a prolonged period. "We are now seeing what is possibly a natural adjustment," she said.

Today FM overtook 2FM in market share in this survey, making it the second most listened to national radio station. Its chief executive Willie O'Reilly said this was "a fantastic achievement" in a very difficult economic climate.

RTÉ Radio 1 and 2FM recorded small decreases in market share, at 22.6 per cent (-0.3) and 9.3 per cent (-0.4) respectively. Newstalk increased its market share figure to four per cent, up 0.1 per cent while Today FM and RTÉ Lyric FM retained share figures of 9.6 per cent and 1.6 per cent respectively.

Newstalk chief executive Frank Cronin said the station was happy to achieve a market share of 4 per cent and he highlighted a year-on-year increase of 13 per cent for presenter Sean Moncrieff.

The survey results indicate that 86 per cent of the adult population listens daily to a mix of national, regional, multi-city and local radio throughout the country - this was unchanged since the last survey.

Highland Radio continued to have the biggest market share of the local stations, at 63.7 per cent but this was a fall of 0.4 per cent on the previous survey. Tipp FM's market share rose by 2.5 per cent to 57.8 per cent while Radio Kerry saw a two per cent increase in its share to 55.6 per cent.

In Dublin, 98FM again recorded the highest market share figure of the local Dublin stations at 10.9 per cent but this represented a drop of 0.7 per cent when compared with the last survey.

Increases in market share figure were recorded for Q102, Spin 1038 and Country Mix 106.8FM.

4FM, the new multi-city service increased its market share by 0.5 per cent to 2 per cent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Anyone have any idea how much less Today FM costs to run than 2FM? I'm assuming its less cos I can't imgaine anyone is getting anything close to Ryan Tubbers type salary (even if one can strip out the TV side of the deal). ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

2FM should be privatised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how much less Today FM costs to run than 2FM? I'm assuming its less cos I can't imgaine anyone is getting anything close to Ryan Tubbers type salary (even if one can strip out the TV side of the deal). ;)

whats d'arcy on big money I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

You can do the 'maths' yourself -
    First: 1/4 hour stats for 4 main nationals.
    Second: All stations

The comparative are the exact same periods -July /June. Its not this muck of comparing apples with concrete. Why compare a year beginning and ending with the pre summer schedule to one that begins and ends with the spring schedule! (calm, calm, calm), rant over

The status quo is maintained in general, but the 2FM story is the story, loosing listeners year after year.

• Advertisement

2fm down 4% of national market share since May 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Koloman wrote: »
    2FM should be privatised.

Why? A real reason please!
    patrickc wrote: »
    whats d'arcy on big money I'd imagine

Too much whatever it is;) Twenty years ago he was sitting in a studio talking infantile ****e with a couple of muppets and twenty years on not much has changed apart from the muppets and the fact it's now on radio instead of TV:D
    mike65 wrote: »
    2fm down 4% of national market share since May 2007

Because they lost direction. Changed their target audience too often and in the race to chase the yuff audience they dispensed with some fine intellegent broadcasters and replaced them with clones.

Matt Coopers show continues its relentless slide. All the "Drive Time" programmes fell but the Last Word again leading the way.

Drivetime lost 7,000 listeners, while Today FM’s The Last Word lost 13,000 listeners. Newstalk’s The Right Hook lost 1,000 listeners.

Given that Today FM is on the up overall it'll be interesting to see if Willie O’Reilly demands any tweaks to the Last Word or if he'll be happy to let it ride out the recessionary slump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Koloman wrote: »
    2FM should be exploded

FYP

Newstalk Breakfast dropping 7,000 i find that incredible to be honest, Frank Cronin must be going mad! Ivan Yates hasn't helped that much tho claire Byrne is the main reason i suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Ok - I'll just do this and sit back down in a darkened room..

The comparisons..

If I worked in, say, HB flogging chock-ices and the jonny ross slides up to me in August and says:

Boss: "how were sales in the last 12 months to june"
    Me: "they were ok actually, we sold X"
    Boss: "Interesting, how does that compare to Last Year"
    Me: "Last year to April Jonny is it?.... "
    Boss: "Have you passed the mandatory urine test.... no to June obviously"
    Me: "Oh, Sorry - i'll get a plastic cup'

The Average 1/4 hour listeners the Breakfast show 12 months to June 2010 is 29,600 listeners per 1/4. The same average to June 2009 is 28,600!!

Lies damned lies and statistics i know. The show has lost listeners no doubting that. But surely comparisons should be made against like periods - that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Bit strange that Newstalk is heralding reaching 260,000 listeners daily, apparently 3,000 up on last year. Yet last November they were pleased to announce, on their website, a daily reach of 265,000... http://www.newstalk.ie/tag/jnlr/

This is also the second quarter in a row that they haven't posted up a JNLR press release special. The figures must be particularly bad these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Yea, a media organisation not reporting their own figures! If u think they are bad - have a look at regional newspaper sites!!! One if them has currently their abc from 2007! And they are not audited any more!

Lucy Kennedy is thrilled that the show lost "only" 10,000 listeners. Lol.

[url]Http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lucy-insists-its-not-a-big-switchoff-as-she-loses-10000-gerry-listerners-2280133.html[/url]

But she does have a point. It kind of backs ups the theory that it is the time slot and the radio station which is the most important thing and not necessarily the presenter. While loses of 10,000 isn't great it is a long way from being a collapse in listenership. Which would appear to blow a hole in G. Ryan's rational behind why it was only right he was paid so much. Perhaps food for thought for RTE's bosses.

Anyway, Lucy is gone off to make reality TV with Baz and won't be coming back to the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Except these JNLRs only covered the period up to June so she's talking bollox!

• Advertisement

I was thinking that there was a time lag in the JNLR figures, but assumed the Herald would know more about these things then I do. Ah well, I still stick by the theory until proven otherwise.

Advertisement