Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching myself to play guitar.

Options
  • 29-07-2010 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I tried to learn the guitar when i was younger through a teacher but I've found I cope alot better when not put into a routine where im supposed to have some chords down to a T within a few days for my next lesson, and if i don't? Made to feel inadequate to learn.
    So, i'm gonna teach myself, was wondering if some other self taught guitarists, more specifically classical guitarists, could help me to begin? i.e. recommend books and websites that might help me progress at my own pace.
    My uncle is a grade 7 classical guitarist and is happy to help here and there if needs be. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Not a classical guitarist myself but www.ultimate-guitar.com should help you.

Plenty of lessons and tabs to get you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

I have had a similar experience. About 5 years ago I went to lessons. I didn't enjoy them and ended it up putting it aside unable to play anything and secretly downhearted about it. Then last february my mate started and this got be a little competitive and I began to teach myself and now its going really well. It's a big part of my life now. I'm getting a nice few songs together. My advice is:

if you know a friend who is also learning, jam on together, chat about your experiences and enjoy the craic.

Find a song you really like which has 3 chords. e.g knocking on heavens door, bad moon rising

Check out Marty Swartz on youtube. I think he is fantastic. type "mary swartz easy chords"

Practice practice pratice practice practice and some more practice.

everynow and again you'll hit a ceiling in your development but stick with it and you will get on the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

And Rock on!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Láidir

Thanks alot guys! Btw I was out for few drinks wit me mates last nite and one of them said the exact same thing bout learning 'knocking on heavens door' now i just gotta pay a visit to the Soundshop in Drogheda! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i only got a handful of lessons and mostly simple stuff when iw as starting out of my dads friend found i dont best when i went off and done most of it myself, theres so much online now to teach the proper way to do things its fine doing it on your own once you have some dicipline, its kinda annoying when u see 6 year old asian kids playing this impossible stuff in guitar! but i just learned off of elarning songs and tabs

i found this old box full of tabs i printed off in my teens must be about 500 pages of songs, lots of resources online to get going

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

-=al=- wrote: »
    i only got a handful of lessons and mostly simple stuff when iw as starting out of my dads friend found i dont best when i went off and done most of it myself, theres so much online now to teach the proper way to do things its fine doing it on your own once you have some dicipline, its kinda annoying when u see 6 year old asian kids playing this impossible stuff in guitar! but i just learned off of elarning songs and tabs

i found this old box full of tabs i printed off in my teens must be about 500 pages of songs, lots of resources online to get going
    heh... I remember heading into town years back to internet cafes to print off tabs, didn't even have dial up at home!

Them's were the days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i remember the folks goin mad at the ginormous internet dial up bill many occasions... eircom made a fortune off of us, barely anyone had internet when i was printin em off 2000 or 2002 was a tabby acousticy year for al, but i did play a hell of a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Don't try and teach yourself classical guitar, you'll learn learn terrible technique into your playing, and never be able to fix it. Normal acoustic/rock guitar though is easy enough to learn yourself, just keep learning songs you like!

Advertisement