Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Next Generation BB?..

• 29-07-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

A sales rep came to the door today and was advertising UTV next generation broadband. Does anyone know anything about it?

It's cheaper than my current Vodafone bill and its (up to) 8 mb compared to the 3mb I have now, so I signed up just to see how it goes.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

All details here.
    http://www.utvinternet.com/ngb/

I have been with them for 3 years. No problems. I do notice they have upped the price of unlimited package big time, I currently pay €5.99 a month for it. My total package including line rental, 8mb BB, Off Peak calls is €55.34 a month. No mention of 75GB cap on my contract though there is on new contract. Just checked my usage, might be better on the minimum package. Went unlimited for peace of mind.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mylow wrote: »
    I do notice they have upped the price of unlimited package big time, I currently pay €5.99 a month for it.

As do I but then I'm not on Next Gen, I'd imagine its because of eircom's pricing structure

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I notice that UTV are still misleading people:rolleyes:

# Free connection & wireless router(4) (worth €90) P&P fee of €9.50 applicable

And yet note 4 reads:

The Netgear wireless modem remains the property of UTV Internet at all times and it must be returned to the following address if you terminate your service:

UTV Internet, Ormeau Road, Belfast, BT7 1EB.

Failure to return the wireless modem will result in a charge of €60.00 as well as the normal cancellation charges, where applicable.

There is a big difference between loaning a router which in effect is what is happening here and giving a customer something for nothing which is what free means.

When will companies learn that misleading customers does not pay off?:mad:

Ah UTV were good once upon a time before the 'cute hoorism' set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

dub45 wrote: »
    I notice that UTV are still misleading people:rolleyes:

And yet note 4 reads:

There is a big difference between loaning a router which in effect is what is happening here and giving a customer something for nothing which is what free means.

When will companies learn that misleading customers does not pay off?:mad:

Ah UTV were good once upon a time before the 'cute hoorism' set in.

They didn't give a deadline it has to be back.

"Yeah sure... I'm cycling to Belfast now with me iPhone in hand emailing ya"... I'll be there in a couple of years."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Cancelled my UTV 2 weeks ago. 2 more weeks till i can change to somebody else. And i still have to pay a disconnection fee.

Pity my choices are Vodafone or Eircom.

Vodafone it is then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Cancelled my UTV 2 weeks ago. 2 more weeks till i can change to somebody else. And i still have to pay a disconnection fee.

Pity my choices are Vodafone or Eircom.

Vodafone it is then.

Why did you cancel? If you don't mind me asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 TheBouldNaoise

UTV are a stitch up - read the small print in the contract carefully, particularly about termination. Was with them for over two years and the still charged me a disconnection fee. With UPC now - 15Mb connection, fantastic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

UTV are a stitch up - read the small print in the contract carefully, particularly about termination. Was with them for over two years and the still charged me a disconnection fee. With UPC now - 15Mb connection, fantastic.

Actually all ISP's get charged that disconnection fee by Eircom Wholesale, UTV are simply the only eircom re-seller who pass it on to the customer. Any other re-seller could do the same in the morning if they wanted.

They make this clear so you make an informed decision when you subscribe to their services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

Fart wrote: »
    Why did you cancel? If you don't mind me asking.

I could save €24 a month with Vodafone. I switched to €40 euro package. Next month i'm on the €48 package, for the extra 80Gb(40gb not enough download)

On UTV 8mb + unlimited = €55
    I was getting landline from eircom so it was over €60(27+34)

Vodafone were 40 or 48 so still cheaper. I can't get 24mb, 17mb my max!

UTV also disconnected me a week early, causing me to be without broadband for another month!
    Then I get the last bill in October(disconnection fee) 3 months after they disconnect me.
    They also charged 5.99 for the unlimited broadband package.

I cancel in July, get disconnected in August get a bill in October?
    I canceled my DD, thinking all bills paid. Then get letter saying they will disconnect my broadband if i don't pay the bill!
    I had already been with Vodafone for a month!

When I joined UTV, I had moved house. I had joined UTV, they said no problems. I gave them my phone number. All the usual details. I stayed with eircom new connection 6 month deal! But after 2 weeks of no connection(i was calling eircom from the landline) Eircom said my address didn't exist. So I found an ESB bill which was written differently. Was fixed then, they found it.
    But they said i had to disconnect my UTV connection before they could put it through. So far i had no phone or broadband.
    So i rang UTV they said i'd have to pay 60 to disconnect, but said they would do it for 30. In the end i paid 30 and got it all settled.
    I was with UTV for around 8 months i think. 6 month contract, nothing but trouble from day 1!

1. They shouldn't of let it go through, seen as they had no line. I ask them they said it was ok.
    2. Shouldn't of charged me, I could of gone to eircom instead.
    3. They disconnected me 1 week prior to what they had on paper! So i was disconnected while i was online!
    4. Customer service was the worst, compared to Eircom, BT, Vodafone from my experience so far!

Advertisement