Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway races... when did it get so boring??

Options
  • 29-07-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Right, a couple of things, firstly, I went to the races today for the first time in 22 years and was shocked at what I saw. The middle of the racecourse with the amusements used to be packed with people, kids, stalls, amusements, stall to win toys at, the guinness tent the lot.....WHERE DID IT GO??

A few traders, about 3 rides, a chip van, some dreadful casual traders (who want's to buy a rug at the races?:confused:) and sweets and naff toys and sunglasses. Apparently the last few years have changed a lot and the races want everyone to be in the corporate area at €35 a head!! The vibe has died in the centre area. But it's still got over dressed teens, children and folk in their 20's with nothing to do.

I asked a trader 'what's the story with lack of stuff?' and 'How much for a stall?'. They told me it was €350 per week, which is actually fair enough but I know most of the traders are travellers and they don't like to pay too much for a pitch. They don't sell great stuff and I can see how a profit would be hard to make. However, if it was the type of stands that were about for the Volvo and Powerboat racing, they might actually make a profit. There were no smoothie stands, no choice of food, and no where to sit!! There used to be a Bar (Guinness tent), it's all gone.

Because of all that, I found the races...BORING.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I personally cant stand the Races, i avoid it like the Plague, seeing as i love Aviation the only thing i like about it is the Helicopters.

Greaney wrote: »
    Right, a couple of things, firstly, I went to the races today for the first time in 22 years and was shocked at what I saw. The middle of the racecourse with the amusements used to be packed with people, kids, stalls, amusements, stall to win toys at, the guinness tent the lot.....WHERE DID IT GO??

A few traders, about 3 rides, a chip van, some dreadful casual traders (who want's to buy a rug at the races?:confused:) and sweets and naff toys and sunglasses. Apparently the last few years have changed a lot and the races want everyone to be in the corporate area at €35 a head!! The vibe has died in the centre area. But it's still got over dressed teens, children and folk in their 20's with nothing to do.

I asked a trader 'what's the story with lack of stuff?' and 'How much for a stall?'. They told me it was €350 per week, which is actually fair enough but I know most of the traders are travellers and they don't like to pay too much for a pitch. They don't sell great stuff and I can see how a profit would be hard to make. However, if it was the type of stands that were about for the Volvo and Powerboat racing, they might actually make a profit. There were no smoothie stands, no choice of food, and no where to sit!! There used to be a Bar (Guinness tent), it's all gone.

There are bigger things to complain about. In fact there's already a thread about this, you could have posted in their without making another one.

So you freeload to the races and expect a wealth of entertainment?, now if you paid in and found the experience to be a step down from previous years then i might find some sympathy but to be complaining about the FREE area?.

Maybe there wasn't many stalls there as well..... the people who won't pay to go in... will errr be reluctant to spend much money outside?... why waste your time setting up stalls there?

Very misleading thread title, be happy you can see anything for free, most tracks don't provide decent free facilities(if any at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

There are bigger things to complain about. In fact there's already a thread about this, you could have posted in their without making another one.

So you freeload to the races and expect a wealth of entertainment?, now if you paid in and found the experience to be a step down from previous years then i might find some sympathy but to be complaining about the FREE area?.

Maybe there wasn't many stalls there as well..... the people who won't pay to go in... will errr be reluctant to spend much money outside?... why waste your time setting up stalls there?

Very misleading thread title, be happy you can see anything for free, most tracks don't provide decent free facilities(if any at all)

Genuinely confused by your post.

Where does it say that the OP got in for free? It's a few years since I was at the races, but surely when the OP is talking about €35 entry that's for some special area - that can't be the normal price, can it? :eek:

Pretty sure OP paid in.. Is there even a free area?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There is a free area, when you go in through the tunnel but before you go through the turnstiles. The main parking area.
    There is usually a fun fair there, has been up till two years ago anyway. Also bookies facilities. Not sure about bar facilities.
    The "enclosure" is where you pay into. I believe tickets were 35 squids or so today. The were 20 on monday.
    I've never waited in the free area, but may do later on this week until the after the fourth race when I believe you can get into the enclosure for free.

Ah, I'd say the funfair werent making any money or ran into some other issues.

Since I can to Galway I've seen two types of residents, those that love the races and those that hate them.
    Frankly, it adds a bit of buzz to the place and those that complain about them rarely have a better option than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

kippy wrote: »
    I believe tickets were 35 squids or so today. The were 20 on monday.

Is that 35 for a standard ticket? Jesus wept!

churchview wrote: »
    Is that 35 for a standard ticket? Jesus wept!

Yes, 35 squids to get into the "enclosure"/"Stands" area. Basic ticket.
    Pretty expensive but when you think most of these people make such a big fuss about it and the entrance fee costs less than the average concert ticket nowadays...........
    To you it might seem like a rip off, to those that went it was an enjoyable day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

At €9 for the bus and €30 to get in, with €5 pints after that, it's a rip.

Meh,
    No one has to pay it. It is a supply and demand market.
    I would call a near 600 euro phone a rip but thats just me............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Is it €35 for the day? That seems pretty reasonable actually. It's €55 into Croke Park for a double header, and I shudder to think what they're charging in the Aviva for a single match. Then you have the fact that to go to any second rate music act in concert will set you back at least €40 in most places. €35 doesn't seem to exorbitant in comparison.

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    Is it €35 for the day? That seems pretty reasonable actually. It's €55 into Croke Park for a double header, and I shudder to think what they're charging in the Aviva for a single match. Then you have the fact that to go to any second rate music act in concert will set you back at least €40 in most places. €5 doesn't seem to exorbitant in comparison.

Yep 35 (or it could have been 30 not 100% sure) for the day.
    I dont think its that bad at all actually.
    But those that hate the races will find any reason to knock em.....

It costs money to keep the track the way it is kept and prepare for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I was also at the races today, first time in 4 years I'd say. Had a few drinks, lost a few bets. It was nice, that was about all I was expecting tbh. There's not much more to the racing experience imo, hence why it's a very rare visit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

True, there are more important things... and I complain about them on boards regualrly too;)

All I'm saying is that I'm from Galway and I always went to the races as a kid, didn't go for years but thought I'd bring the husband (not Irish) up to it to see the vibe. I didn't expect a wealth of entertainment (haha, there never was that much entertainment, I'm talking about stalls etc. that you pay for actually), but holy cow, I didn't expect the amusements area to be soooo dead and tiny compared to years ago. This is the area the young people traditionally spent time in (and families) because they couldn't afford the stand, you browsed, had a drink in the Guinness tent (paid for it), played the coconut shy or another game to win a soft toy(paid for it), bought cheap stuff and went on the rides (not free, you pay for them).

The entry fee to the stand is €35 per person today, that's more than a family priced ticket to Terryland (two adults three kids), and that's before you've gotten anything

And as for the other threads on the subject, they were about prices in a restraunt in town and 'who left the town for the races', so this is a slightly different thread.... and sure isn't that what boards is for:D

True, there are more important things... and I complain about them on boards regualrly too;)

All I'm saying is that I'm from Galway and I always went to the races as a kid, didn't go for years but thought I'd bring the husband (not Irish) up to it to see the vibe. I didn't expect a wealth of entertainment (haha, there never was that much entertainment, I'm talking about stalls etc. that you pay for actually), but holy cow, I didn't expect the amusements area to be soooo dead and tiny compared to years ago. This is the area the young people traditionally spent time in (and families) because they couldn't afford the stand, you browsed, had a drink in the Guinness tent (paid for it), played the coconut shy or another game to win a soft toy(paid for it), bought cheap stuff and went on the rides (not free, you pay for them).

The entry fee to the stand is €35 per person today, that's more than a family priced ticket to Terryland (two adults three kids), and that's before you've gotten anything

And as for the other threads on the subject, they were about prices in a restraunt in town and 'who left the town for the races', so this is a slightly different thread.... and sure isn't that what boards is for:D
    While that 35 euro seems expensive to you, as mentioned above it is a lot less than similiar "events" either sporting or concert tickets.

I've heard from native Galwegians that the free area was traditionally a place for families and kids but perhaps the vendors that traditionally set up there didnt find it viable any more.

Apparently the last few years have changed a lot and the races want everyone to be in the corporate area at €35 a head!! The vibe has died in the centre area. But it's still got over dressed teens, children and folk in their 20's with nothing to do.

I asked a trader 'what's the story with lack of stuff?' and 'How much for a stall?'. They told me it was €350 per week, which is actually fair enough but I know most of the traders are travellers and they don't like to pay too much for a pitch.

churchview wrote: »
    Genuinely confused by your post.

Where does it say that the OP got in for free? It's a few years since I was at the races, but surely when the OP is talking about €35 entry that's for some special area - that can't be the normal price, can it? :eek:

What's confusing?..... he was complaining about the free facilities located in the middle of the track, before the main entrance, he makes several references to being there, why would he complain about them if he wasn't even there.

My point was they're free, there are bigger things to complain about then the free facilities which from a viewpoint are pretty decent, you can't get near some other tracks without paying.

Same as above.... he never said he paid in he made reference to punters being forced into paying into the ''corporate area'' i.e enclosure, as well as plenty of other references to being in the the free area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

OP - Its been like that for the last 10 years.
    Fair play to you on making the trip back after 22 years but please dont let today be a turn off. I realise it costs a few quid to go into the stand area but there is a great atmosphere in there. Yes you can spend as much money as you want too but think of the happeness of meeting up with old friends and having a great day. If things are a bit tight wait until after the third last race and you can get in for free. The facilities in there are second to none.

Lastly there are a lot of people on this part of boards.ie that do nothing but whine about the Galway Races. The only negative thing I have about the Galway Races is the Thursday because it is so packed but is that not a great complaint to have so many people out putting money into our economy and provide employment and happiness and a general good buzz around the place.

Same as above.... he never said he paid in he made reference to punters being forced into paying into the ''corporate area'' i.e enclosure, as well as plenty of other references to being in the the free area.

Oh right, never heard the enclosure called a corporate area, thought that's just where everyone went..

I've been twice anyway before and I'm not mad on it at all anymore.. Gimme 2/3 people and O Connells smoking area for the evenin and I'm happy.

Yes, Kippy, I believe your right. I asked the vendors how much a stall cost etc. They thought it was too much. (€350 for the week, some vendors would find that affordable but the vendors who are 'traditional Galway races vendors' may find that too much). Mind you, even the Guinness/bar tent's gone.

See, here's the thing, the local teens and young people that usually go, end up in the tunnel under Briarhill bush drinking.... It's just so sad. It was such a big event for young people, it was an affordable part of it and they went on to the Stand when they were older.

I guess that's that then...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I would be same as Greaney, the centre was great as a kid but the races back then were very family orientated, it was Dads in the enclosure and Mom and the kids in the free area. It has become more of an adults thing last 10-20 years so not as many kids at it and hence the middle area disappearing, the race committee spend feck all on it as there isn't much money to be made out there.

Finally!!! A local who knows what I mean:D. To just colour things in for some of the previous posters, I'm a woman, and a Mum. Most of the 'punters' outside of the stand were families (you see €35 isn't just €35 when you've to pay for the kids). I kept mentioning time and time again about the teens and young people because they just dont' have that money. Remember when you were young and that was your whole budget!!.

There were still heaps of families in the 'free area', although you pay for everything you 'do' there actually, there's just not as much to 'do' anymore. I talked to one of the charity collectors I know and he said that most folk only stayed an hour and come out, we used to stay 3-4 but again, there's nothing to keep you there.

On a sentimental note, I have a picture of my dad in his suit at the races when he was 16. All ages and types went then, it's just so about adults now... I think the raceing commitee try and make Sunday the family day now... but it used to be every day:(

Didn't think I'd get folks so riled up (nothing personal Gilberto), but I guess a bold title catches your attention;)

• Advertisement

Finally!!! A local who knows what I mean:D. To just colour things in for some of the previous posters, I'm a woman, and a Mum. Most of the 'punters' outside of the stand were families (you see €35 isn't just €35 when you've to pay for the kids). I kept mentioning time and time again about the teens and young people because they just dont' have that money. Remember when you were young and that was your whole budget!!.

There were still heaps of families in the 'free area', although you pay for everything you 'do' there actually, there's just not as much to 'do' anymore. I talked to one of the charity collectors I know and he said that most folk only stayed an hour and come out, we used to stay 3-4 but again, there's nothing to keep you there.

On a sentimental note, I have a picture of my dad in his suit at the races when he was 16. All ages and types went then, it's just so about adults now... I think the raceing commitee try and make Sunday the family day now... but it used to be every day:(

Didn't think I'd get folks so riled up, but I guess a bold title catches your attention;)

Things have changed a lot in the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

About 4 years ago before the new stand was built I paid in for my mother, sister and I to get into the top of the stand. Can't remember how much it cost. It was on a quiet day too so there wasn't many up there with us. Anyway, we got assigned seats behind a big steel pillar and couldn't see a thing. When we tried to move we were told off by security, when we tried to stand we couldn't see anything....a-holes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Yup those days are gone ...tis a pity too. Remember the days when we had the funfair in Eyre Square too. The big wheel and Waltzers ahhhhh showing my age :D

Most of the 'punters' outside of the stand were families (you see €35 isn't just €35 when you've to pay for the kids). I kept mentioning time and time again about the teens and young people because they just dont' have that money. Remember when you were young and that was your whole budget!!.

Ok this is one part i definitely don't agree with, in relation to how much it costs with kids. Fact is it's E2...yes TWO EURO for a ''child U-14''.... anything up to an 18 year old could get in for E2, you wouldn't get into Terryland for E2.

They are so slack about enforcing it i even got in last year at the age of 22 going on 23 at the main gate, even on ladies day wearing a suit. Granted i look fairly young for my age, i wouldn't look younger then 17/18.

So don't agree with the point about the teens being forced outside, they could get in for the price of a bottle of coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Couldn't agree with you more TheCosmicFrog.....Thats a whole lotta cash in these "troubled times".

9euro return to Ballybrit.......jaypers....I heard that the number 9 city bus out to Parkmore only went as far as Doughishka today to prevent you only having to pay 3.20euro return.....nice one Bus Eireann, they must be completely cleaning up this week.

Lets hope they put some of those profits into organising a reliable city bus service for the other 51 weeks of the year.

BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

When it stoppped being about the "Races" and all about the "money" and "fashion" at the expensive of the "Galwegian"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I dont know where you are getting €35 from, it was €30 a ticket. I was there yesterday aswell.

As the saying goes, you get nothing for nothing. You did better than that so I dont see the problem. There was a great atmosphere in the enclosure and €30 for the day on the most popular day of the week is good value in my opinion. There are cheaper days if you dont want to pay that. In fact Saturday, Sunday and Monday is half that price at €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

cooperguy wrote: »
    I dont know where you are getting €35 from, it was €30 a ticket. I was there yesterday aswell.

And €20 for a student. The only thing that was required for you to be a student yesterday was the balls and cheek to go through the student aisle and when the lady said "Student?" just give her a smile and a wink - €10 saved straight away.... nice one bruvva!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

It's pretty sad that the other side is pretty much non-existent at this stage. Back in the day you would meet everyone from the area there and only the "big shots" went to the stand.
    As someone also mentioned Times they are a changin'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ah yes the good old days.

you would get the bus at the square - the whole family - and head up there for the day - on the chairoplanes with the hard ropes, and the carousels and then going off to buy your yearly "love beads" from one of the stalls.

its all money now - people think they can't enjoy themselves without forking out money for everything.

please say they are still selling love beads. LOL

Advertisement