Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers V Juventus [Match Thread] RTE 2 @ 7.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Rovers had a good 10-15 minutes start to the second half. Other than that, juve pretty much dominated and looked comfortable at the back, could have easilly been 5-0.
    Diego was great in the first half, he should have taken a few more shots, good to see juve passing it around. I think juve are missing a couple of quality wide players.

they didn't really have a great 10-15 mins juve took the foot of the gas and sat back a bit, then pounced when they got bored.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jaysus he should be owning an Eircom League team's midfield in all fairness. I agree that he's not very good at the top level.

who is?

he's never played in any decent teams, he is what he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

baz2009 wrote: »
    Terrible player, imo.

Sissoko is actually very good at breaking up play. Can be a great dribbler too. It's just when he trys to play a pass more than 10 yards it all goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

I think Sissoko made 3 successful passes in the game, the rest either went to a Rovers players or out of play, he had a stinker. Rovers gave a good account of themselves and the league. So you can all go back to slating the league now because the Shams lost to a full time professional team that dominated europe.

Walsh wrote: »
    I think Sissoko made 3 successful passes in the game, the rest either went to a Rovers players or out of play, he had a stinker. Rovers gave a good account of themselves and the league. So you can all go back to slating the league now because the Shams lost to a full time professional team that dominated europe.

3?

100e says your wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Sissoko plays a very specific role to a high level. He sits deep and protects a back four through breaking play down really well. He's athletic and tough in the tackle. That stuff is very valuable in today's game.

He is not great technically, a relatively poor passer and overall offers little going forward. That stuff stops him from being an all round world class defensive midfielder. But he is a long, long way from being a "terrible player".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LONG time since thats happened in fairness.

CaptainHyperbole!.jpg

Who's slating the league? The chip on your shoulder is effecting your ability to read!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sissoko plays a very specific role to a high level. He sits deep and protects a back four through breaking play down really well. He's athletic and tough in the tackle. That stuff is very valuable in today's game.

He is not great technically, a relatively poor passer and overall offers little going forward. That stuff stops him from being an all round world class defensive midfielder. But he is a long, long way from being a "terrible player".

a poor mans makelele i think is what your trying to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jaysus he should be owning an Eircom League team's midfield in all fairness. I agree that he's not very good at the top level.

Ahem..............It's the Airtricity League!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ahem..............It's the Airtricity League!!

pedants unite!

Who's slating the league? The chip on your shoulder is effecting your ability to read!

Eh people saying that the reason the score was so low was down to Juve not getting out of second gear not the fact that Rovers put it up to them. If Amuari wasn't playing would Juve have scored? They didn't have to many chances from their other outlets... Theres never any optimism when it comes to the Domestic game here

ntlbell wrote: »
    a poor mans makelele i think is what your trying to say

Yeah, and there ain't anything wrong with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

pedants unite!
    Would you be saying the same if someone referred to the Championship as the First Division? Of course not.

Eh people saying that the reason the score was so low was down to Juve not getting out of second gear not the fact that Rovers put it up to them. If Amuari wasn't playing would Juve have scored? They didn't have to many chances from their other outlets... Theres never any optimism when it comes to the Domestic game here

Sorry buddy, but that's just not true.

Sissoko is actually very good at breaking up play. Can be a great dribbler too. It's just when he trys to play a pass more than 10 yards it all goes wrong.

Jeez, that's harsh!! If you're speaking horizontally, fair enough. But vertically, he's like frickin' Jan Molby!!

Sorry buddy, but that's just not true.
    Who had the chances then?

look, juve aren't what they were in years gone by, but still there worlds apart from shams even practically not match just back training with a few friendlies behind them they could have really gone to town on shams.

no one was sitting here expecting shams to show the world the class of irish football.

shams put a few passes together and the odd glimpse of confidence on the ball.

this is not something to be celebrating.

Pepe and Diego had a few very good chances between them. Indeed, both flashed efforts by the post in either half (Pepe with a header / Diego with a 20 yard effort that just missed low to the right).

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Would you be saying the same if someone referred to the Championship as the First Division? Of course not.

i wouldn't give a hoot

i often call the pl the first division, i'm old and grey tho, i'm allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I'd say liverpool fans would have Sissoko back over that Lucas fella

Sissoko does this week in week out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YLoHnvmaFo
    ;)

Well, juve's first proper game of the season, and they clearly weren't giving it 100%. Even the team selection was experimental. Not slating the league, but when a big team are playing a much smaller team, they almost never give 100%. If they did we'd see 10-0 scorelines all the time in cup games.

look, juve aren't what they were in years gone by, but still there worlds apart from shams even practically not match just back training with a few friendlies behind them they could have really gone to town on shams.

no one was sitting here expecting shams to show the world the class of irish football.

shams put a few passes together and the odd glimpse of confidence on the ball.

this is not something to be celebrating.

Well it is when the general view on the league is 'it's shíte, all they do is hoof it to each other'. Showing confidence against a team as big as Juventus is merit in itself? The fact that they didnt just crumble and get rid of the ball at every opportunity shows the game here is played at a higher level than people expect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Highlight of the game: Bayley running away with the ball after the drop-ball:D
    and the medley that ensued great gas

Well it is when the general view on the league is 'it's shíte, all they do is hoof it to each other'. Showing confidence against a team as big as Juventus is merit in itself? The fact that they didnt just crumble and get rid of the ball at every opportunity shows the game here is played at a higher level than people expect?

The standard compared to top level football is ****e, that doesn't stop me paying to see it tho.

What has this got to with anything?

I think celebrating the odd confident touch against juve is not something to be celbrated no. it goes back to the roy keane thing about the irish celebrating medicoricy we shouldnt accept it or celebrate it

fryup wrote: »
    Highlight of the game: Bayley running away with the ball after the drop-ball:D
    and the medley that ensued great gas

same aul rovers, always cheating ;)

As much as i hate the Shams, in fairness to them tonight, they did ok. They were outclassed, sure. That was to be expected. But they weren't embarrassed by any means.

If Dan Murray had scored from that header, who knows what might have happened.

Really good atmosphere tonight that came through the tv. I still think people are too lazy though to let it affect them into actually going to matches!

FWIW, I was at the Sporting Fingal game last week and the way they approached it was awful. Never showed any real belief, didn't work particularly hard, and weren't anywhere near direct enough for most of the game.

Shamrock Rovers gave it a better go tonight, but overall it has been an awful showing by the league in European competition. People should be allowed to call a spade a spade.

• Advertisement

The standard compared to top level football is ****e, that doesn't stop me paying to see it tho.

What has this got to with anything?

I think celebrating the odd confident touch against juve is not something to be celbrated no. it goes back to the roy keane thing about the irish celebrating medicoricy we shouldnt accept it or celebrate it

We are a Nation of what 3-4 million people? Expectations are way to high in this country, thats why most dont bother to watch the league of Ireland, we are hardly gonna be producing messi's by the dozen with a population like that! We are a small nation, Irish people seem to be deluded into thinking we aren't...

We are a Nation of what 3-4 million people? Expectations are way to high in this country, thats why most dont bother to watch the league of Ireland, we are hardly gonna be producing messi's by the dozen with a population like that! We are a small nation, Irish people seem to be deluded into thinking we aren't...

Nobody is expecting Messi or waltzes to the group stages. But when you consider that Bohs were five minutes away from defeating Red Bull last season, when you think about Pats beating a Swedish side, Drogheda / Shels winning ties in years past - this year is a noticeable leap in the wrong direction.

Of course Shamrock Rovers did very well last week, and no - one expected them to win tonight. But in an overall sense, there is nothing to celebrate for LOI fans imo.

You seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions.

I had no expectations, i assumed shams would be outclassed and get beat.

anyone who even has a passing interest in football wouldn't expect any different.

looking through the shams thread it seems the only people with any sort of expectation were shams fans, delusional and un realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

You seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions.

I had no expectations, i assumed shams would be outclassed and get beat.

anyone who even has a passing interest in football wouldn't expect any different.

looking through the shams thread it seems the only people with any sort of expectation were shams fans, delusional and un realistic.

You like that word sham , SHAM .

Just in regards to the 'unsporting behaviour' from Shams when they played on instead of giving it back to Juve.

I don't think they did anything wrong. In fact, by the time the ref had blown his whistle to stop play because of the second ball coming on the pitch, Juve had given the ball away and it was a Shams player heading it on.

So just because Juve didn't want to compete the hop ball and expected it to be played back to them, doesn't mean that Shams have to abide by that.

Of course, the Shams fans are still doing that sh!t, holding on to the ball instead of throwing it back. And i just knew that when play restarted, they would throw it back on the pitch! It's all they ever do.

mixednuts wrote: »
    You like that word sham , SHAM .

for the rest of this thread i will refer to them as the ringsend massive with the tallaght bandwagon jumping posse

hows that?

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Just in regards to the 'unsporting behaviour' from Shams when they played on instead of giving it back to Juve.

I don't think they did anything wrong. In fact, by the time the ref had blown his whistle to stop play because of the second ball coming on the pitch, Juve had given the ball away and it was a Shams player heading it on.

So just because Juve didn't want to compete the hop ball and expected it to be played back to them, doesn't mean that Shams have to abide by that.

Of course, the Shams fans are still doing that sh!t, holding on to the ball instead of throwing it back. And i just knew that when play restarted, they would throw it back on the pitch! It's all they ever do.

it's irrelvant the juve players made it clear they were not going to compete for the ball as they assumed it would be returned as they were in possesion of the ball and lost possesion directly from the fact the ball came on the pitch

there's no point trying to justify it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 211 ✭✭MickTipp

well done Juve :)
    delighted that they won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Am I the only person who thought that Sissoko had a great game? Don't know where someone is getting off saying that he only made about 3 successful passes. Everything he did he did it well. Breaking up play,showing for the ball and knocking it around past the Rovers' players as if they were doing a training game where you were just meant to chase the ball.

I was delighted to see Del Piero getting cheered when he came on. A few fans started to boo, they were well and truely drowned out and must have felt like idiots when the whole stadium cheered and clapped!

Apart from the 2 goals, amauri hit the inside of the post, he had 2 shots just wide and one saved. Del Piero had a first time shot go the wrong side of the post. Pepe header was just wide. They were the chances that were just wide, not bad shots into the keepers hands or shots 10 yards over the bar. There were also lots of times juve were in good positions well inside the rovers box and couldn't get away the final pass.

it's irrelvant the juve players made it clear they were not going to compete for the ball as they assumed it would be returned as they were in possesion of the ball and lost possesion directly from the fact the ball came on the pitch

there's no point trying to justify it

Ah f*ck that, a hop ball is a hop ball. You're not in Kansas anymore and all that.

For me, i don't see why Juve should expect it back. They weren't in possession of the ball when the whistle was blown so they should compete the hop ball.

Anyway, it's irrelevant now and i don't like defending those Shams so can we just agree to disagree?

• Advertisement

Apart from the 2 goals, amauri hit the inside of the post, he had 2 shots just wide and one saved. Del Piero had a first time shot go the wrong side of the post. Pepe header was just wide. They were the chances that were just wide, not bad shots into the keepers hands or shots 10 yards over the bar. There were also lots of times juve were in good positions well inside the rovers box and couldn't get away the final pass.

The point i was making was without Amauri they didn't have that many opportunites...

The point i was making was without Amauri they didn't have that many opportunites...

Without their loan striker? Of course they didn't! In fairness, if Del Piero started instead I doubt the result would have been much different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

No 0-0 against Depor I tell ye!:D

That was a much more difficult fixture as well , in fairness!

You mean the great Deportivo team that just defeated Champions League holders AC Milan 4-0 a couple of months earlier in one of the best Champions League ties EVER? Obviously a lot better than getting beaten by one of Juventus' poorest squads ever!

Jaysus if Jason Byrne could have converted that chance in Spain. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jaysus if Jason Byrne could have converted that chance in Spain. :(

TWO chances!

SantryRed wrote: »
    TWO chances!

Slim and No?? Where did they end up once Shels went tits up!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LOI side losing to a Serie A and European Giant is not a bad result for the league. :rolleyes:

Murray had the chance where Bayly, Turner and Rice were getting on the ball and out to Stewart and Chambers. Juve woke up after the chance and could've scored a couple more. Rovers with 5 in midfield and the midfield showing for Murray, Sives and Price are a far better team than the alternative in the first half.

And at least Del Piero can tell his grandkids that he played in Tallaght:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dfx- wrote: »
    LOI side losing to a Serie A and European Giant is not a bad result for the league. :rolleyes:

Murray had the chance where Bayly, Turner and Rice were getting on the ball and out to Stewart and Chambers. Juve woke up after the chance and could've scored a couple more. Rovers with 5 in midfield and the midfield showing for Murray, Sives and Price are a far better team than the alternative in the first half.

And at least Del Piero can tell his grandkids that he played in Tallaght:pac:

Hard luck played as well as you could, sadly you seen the reality of "holy **** they really really better than us". I found it was simple mistakes and missing our chances that cost us in the last 2 years, you had the same altho horribly the mistakes and chances fell to the same player :o

Altho we had to get to the next round to find that out....twice (without twigg and soccy ) :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement