Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers V Juventus [Match Thread] RTE 2 @ 7.45

1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Amauri is some player for pre-season...upper body strength :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

dfx- wrote: »

He is also a decent actor in Fair City.....

00033614-279.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Pre-season and only pre-season unfortunately. He only managed 5 goals last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

ntlbell wrote: »
    The standard compared to top level football is ****e, that doesn't stop me paying to see it tho.

What has this got to with anything?

I think celebrating the odd confident touch against juve is not something to be celbrated no. it goes back to the roy keane thing about the irish celebrating medicoricy we shouldnt accept it or celebrate it
    i remember when you used to be different ntlbell, we all said youd turn into another bitter, bitter LOI poster

Its finally happenedtns4-0

We werent great, Juventus were. Played with heart though, which is what is required to win silverware in this country. Our fans were immense tonight, sang for 90 minutes, some crazy made up on the spot nonsense songs included. Proud to be a hoop

Also have to play Juventus next week, so Im off on holidays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Amauri is some player for pre-season...upper body strength
    I think that's the single biggest difference between players in the LOI and players in the top leagues in Europe - physique and athleticism. I remember thinking just after kick-off "Jaysus, those Juve lads are massive" - they didn't need to be technically superior, they could have beaten Rovers with sheer power alone. Amauri's second goal is a case in point - he was challenged by both Murray and Price, yet it may as well have been a free header.

I think the aim for LOI clubs, in the short-to-medium term, is to ensure more European nights like this. We don't have a hope of turning over the likes of Juve, but it's good publicity I suppose (and good financially).

I'm actually slightly looking forward to this match at the Aviva next week now.... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

cant believe some of the bitterness and begrudgary in this thread from some. nights like this, no matter who you support, you should be behind rovers.

they did well, and performed better than most people expected of them. they have restored some pride with this performance, against a top side. now, if only all our other sides can put the same effort into the likes of TNS and all the other crap sides our teams lose to every year, we would be well on the way to raising our profile at a european level.

well done rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

cant believe some of the bitterness and begrudgary in this thread from some. nights like this, no matter who you support, you should be behind rovers.

they did well, and performed better than most people expected of them. they have restored some pride with this performance, against a top side. now, if only all our other sides can put the same effort into the likes of TNS and all the other crap sides our teams lose to every year, we would be well on the way to raising our profile at a european level.

well done rovers.

There's very little anti rovers sentiment in the thread tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There's very little anti rovers sentiment in the thread tbh

Really?

I thought there was plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

What does Heather Mills and Shamrock Rovers have in common ?

The 2nd leg is just for show.

Thought that was a good one .

CiaranC wrote: »
    i remember when you used to be different ntlbell, we all said youd turn into another bitter, bitter LOI poster

Its finally happenedtns4-0

We werent great, Juventus were. Played with heart though, which is what is required to win silverware in this country. Our fans were immense tonight, sang for 90 minutes, some crazy made up on the spot nonsense songs included. Proud to be a hoop

Also have to play Juventus next week, so Im off on holidays :)

I didn't see much heart, just fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

i thought rovers were a bit clueless in the first half tbh knocking the ball up to twigg just wasnt going to work. second half they played a bit better got the ball on the ground made a show of a couple of juve players and got them wound up a bit but juve in typical italian fashion just killed the game i do think they could have got a few more if they upt the tempo a bit but they would even say 2nil is a good result for them.

atmosphere was brilliant something thats lacking from international games.

I thought the rovers fans were excellent.

"Are you watching, Are you watching boh's scum"

Are you watching... GOAL!.....Are you.....AHEM...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I thought the rovers fans were excellent.

that was a cracker it was actually ''hoops hoops'' i laughed hard:pac:

the silence was unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Juve's away support was all a bit, ****e.

Minnows :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Loved the 'You're only match fixing B****rds/Juve, throw us the game, Juve, Juve, throw us the game' chants :)

Was sitting right behind the Italian commentators, they weren't exactly in their comfort zone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I didn't see much heart, just fear.

That's a bit harsh, ntlbell.

First half hour they were definitely over-awed but the whole kerfuffle with Bayly and Pepe injected the players with a bit more bite.

Second half they came out a lot more determined. Even had a few nice, if unproductive, passages of play.

I'm glad you finally got to enjoy a European game this season :D

Albeit from the sidelines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

So I take it you were supporting Liverpool last night? And will be supporting Chelsea and whatever other English teams are in Europe?

Rovers fans should support Rovers, then other League fans who choose to, can do so. I support Shels, after years supporting other clubs in Europe I gave up about 2 seasons ago, I used to think if clubs done well in Europe it might get more barstoolers thinking that the league is actually decent and they'd give it a try thus increasing attendences, but well we all know that scenrio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I agree with gavin. I hate that "you have to support rovers" attitude. Fair enough of you do, but I completely understand other LoI fans wanting them or any other club to lose in Europe.
    noodler wrote: »
    Really?

I thought there was plenty.

Giving an honest review of a game where rovers were clearly second best isn't "anti rovers".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Paparazzo wrote: »

Giving an honest review of a game where rovers were clearly second best isn't "anti rovers".

Agreed.

Not really the issue though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I agree with gavin. I hate that "you have to support rovers" attitude. Fair enough of you do, but I completely understand other LoI fans wanting them or any other club to lose in Europe.

Agreed, I wouldnt expect or even want any other club to be supporting us in Europe tbh. Smacks of minnowism. Barstoolers wouldnt support "each others" clubs in Europe because its "good for English football"

Not that I don't agree, but I don't see any high principle grounds taken from wanting other sides failure than the alternative

Furthermore, comparing ourselves to English football....the circumstances of English football are completely different...the vast majority of teams won't see the benefit from European progress (bottom 82 clubs), whereas in Ireland we have more favourable odds of seeing benefit excluding maybe the bottom four/five.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Shamrock Rovers gave it a better go tonight, but overall it has been an awful showing by the league in European competition. People should be allowed to call a spade a spade.

That's the thing innit. People don't bother about the league to the extent that clubs like Rovers have to field part-time squads. Then when we meet one of the biggest clubs in the game, a lot of the same people bemoan the fact that we don't give them a better game.

I enjoyed the night. We did as well as we could against quality opposition. And the result is secondary to the money, wonderful occasion and publicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Juventus did what they had to and were very rusty but considering it was their first competitive outing this was to be expected.

The reception the Rovers fans gave Alex Del Piero was fantastic. He is an absolute legend.

Juventus were missing Camoranesi, Grosso, Iaquinta, Buffon, Zebina, Melo, Legrottaglie, Tiago, etc.

Rovers gave a relatively good account of themselves in a match that could have been a 6-0.

Have to laugh at fans and commentators alike who refer to the scandal as matchfixing. This gives the impression that the ref was bought or that games in those two seasons were thrown. The truth is that ex-MD of Juve Luciano Moggi was able to influence (as is the case with other top Italian teams (Inter, AC Milan) who the ref and linesmen were.

Certain refs and linesmen were perceived to be pro-Juve and these were selected many times in Juve matches. So to call it match-fixing is possibly a misnomer. The interesting thing is that the scandal broke as a result of illicit wire-taps by the upper echelons of Telecom Italia, with Carlo Buora, Chief Operating Officer of Telecom Italia -suprise suprise - being also vice-president of Inter. Inter hadn't won a serie A title since before the scandal broke.

Anyway, well done Rovers for leeping the score down and here's looking forward to the second leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Certain refs and linesmen were perceived to be pro-Juve and these were selected many times in Juve matches. So to call it match-fixing is possibly a misnomer. The interesting thing is that the scandal broke as a result of illicit wire-taps by the upper echelons of Telecom Italia, with Carlo Buora, Chief Operating Officer of Telecom Italia -suprise suprise - being also vice-president of Inter. Inter hadn't won a serie A title since before the scandal broke.

Anyway, well done Rovers for leeping the score down and here's looking forward to the second leg.

People like simplicity, they aren't interested in the context and full story, match fixing is going on in all the league and in Germany moreso than Italy. It's just a popular perception that Juve are the ringleaders and sole perpetrators of Calciopoli even though their punishment smacked of scapegoating.

Massimo Morrati, dealt with a banned Genoa official to sign Milito and Motta last season, by rights Inter should be relegated as all points won with eithe of them on the pitch are null and void, yet he gets a small fine, and we're the cheats :rolleyes:

Rovers was just a bit of banter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

The support for Rovers was fantastic. "You'll never play for Rovers" at Del Piero was my fav. :D

As far as the football goes Juvi where far better. Ball retention, first touch, passing, finishing, everything else in between was first class. Rovers matched them for effort but came up short.

The LOI will never make it in Europe. Clubs have no cash and the quality of the football suffers. But people don't want to pay to watch the current standard so the clubs won't increase revenue.

Maby a change in the coaching system would help things? When kids are still young help them improve their skills on the ball and make football a passing/movement game again. Also stop putting kids onto a fullsize pitch before they are old enough to handle it.

Anyway good effort Rovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Juventus did what they had to and were very rusty but considering it was their first competitive outing this was to be expected.

The reception the Rovers fans gave Alex Del Piero was fantastic. He is an absolute legend.

Juventus were missing Camoranesi, Grosso, Iaquinta, Buffon, Zebina, Melo, Legrottaglie, Tiago, etc.

Rovers gave a relatively good account of themselves in a match that could have been a 6-0.

Have to laugh at fans and commentators alike who refer to the scandal as matchfixing. This gives the impression that the ref was bought or that games in those two seasons were thrown. The truth is that ex-MD of Juve Luciano Moggi was able to influence (as is the case with other top Italian teams (Inter, AC Milan) who the ref and linesmen were.

It was only a bit of craic, don't be so offended by what opposition supporters chant at the team.:rolleyes:

The truth is that ex-MD of Juve Luciano Moggi was able to influence (as is the case with other top Italian teams (Inter, AC Milan) who the ref and linesmen were.

I'm not sure a chant of Your MD exerted undue influence on the officials for matches would have the same ring to it. :D

It should also be borne in mind that Juve's wage bill alone last year was around 82 times Shamrock Rovers' entire turnover. The amount of teams in the world that can live with this is extremely minimal.

Have to say I enjoyed watching Juve, Maybe not a vintage side, but great to see that quality and also ADP - who I've never seen and greatly admire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I recorded the full game and put it on my pc. I can upload it to a hosting site if anyone wants a copy of it.

4.7GB in size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I recorded the full game and put it on my pc. I can upload it to a hosting site if anyone wants a copy of it.

4.7GB in size.

Its on rte player for a month.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its on rte player for a month.

It was more aimed at the lads who would like a high Q copy of the game for memories. I doubt the RTE player copy would look good if burned onto a DVD.

That would be great Oatsey, if that's not to much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Oatesy23 wrote: »

4.7GB in size.

Would really appreciate that too Oatesy.

Aye, wouldn't mind it Oatesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Well said. That puts all those foolish people in their place. All it was was that a major major official at Juve was able to influence who refereed Juve games by having pro-Juve officials being put in charge of Juve games.

All those people who called it match fixing, hang your heads in shame.

I'm making the .rar files now. There will be 4x1GB and 1 740MB file on megaupload.com

I'll set them to upload overnight and they should be ready in the morning.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Well said. That puts all those foolish people in their place. All it was was that a major major official at Juve was able to influence who refereed Juve games by having pro-Juve officials being put in charge of Juve games.

Well, juve don't throw games so the chant was pretty much off the mark.

• Advertisement

Are people actually being serious?

It was a bit of fun, FFS.

monkey9 wrote: »

Have either of you any notion of footballing banter whatsoever?

Shamrock Rovers v Juventus
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PSRL8425
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GRT6TMX9
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J2OWBBUW
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=78JBOXJE
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03ZI7NEM

Unzip the files after you download them all with WinRar or WinZip.

WinRar 32bit
    WinRar 64bit

Enjoy.
    Time for work :(.

I hope I haven't broke any rules posting this :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

I'm pretty sure Monkey9 was being sarcastic. However Paparazzo seems a little sensitive to football chanting and seems to think they should be 100% factually correct (so does this mean that posh spice does actually take it up the arse?!?).

And of course Del Piero won't play for rovers, they couldn't afford his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Sounds like Rovers will be taking a good crowd over for the second leg! Any rough idea of numbers?

• Advertisement

blue-army wrote: »
    Sounds like Rovers will be taking a good crowd over for the second leg! Any rough idea of numbers?

Rovers have sold over 500 tickets for the away match so far with the remainder on sale tomorrow so we'll know a definite figure tomorrow afternoon but it's likely to be around 750. Theres an Aer Lingus Airbus 330 chartered in addition to all the fans going on the scheduled flights to various different Italian airports. I already feel sorry for the cabin crew on the charter, can you imagine 318 Rovers fans on the same plane :eek:

We're playing Fingal away this afternoon.

I'm awaiting that particular, patronizing match thread full of blow-in experts with great interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

stovelid wrote: »
    We're playing Fingal away this afternoon.

I'm awaiting that particular, patronizing match thread full of blow-in experts with great interest.

Me too cmon fingal!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Did we get a little wet today lads:)

Cant believe we threw that game away. Terrible defending by us and not much better by yourselves. We played some nice stuff at times especially the first half and could and maybe should have scored more in the first.

Anyway

All the best in Italy

OH
    Still cant beat us:p

I think I'm still wet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement