Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm going mad looking for accommodation

Options
  • 29-07-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I am returning to education in the form of a post grad course in ucd and am currently looking for shared accommodation. Im looking for a single room anywhere either near ucd or in Dublin city but im having trouble finding anywhere that isnt a shared bedroom. I have tried rent.ie, daft.ie and easyroomate.ie but with no luck does anyone know of any other sites that i should check im at the end of my tether looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Have you a specific budget.
    Do you want to be within walking distance or will bus bike ride do or perhaps you have a car.
    I have found these on daft which look nice, the first one is for 8 months beginning 1st sept might be ideal as takes in the academic year.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=586086

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=575549 (females only don't know which you are)

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=588976

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=588903

And there are lots more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Thanks i actually am on a budget although i was offered rent allowance i wont get it untill aorund two months after i move in i was told. Im not sure if i will get a back to education grant as i have been working and i already have a degree which is what the social welfare told me. I apreciate the links very helpful thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

It would be helpful if we knew what kinda budget your on as people might be able to point you in the right direction.
    Saying your on a budget can mean anything from 100 euro a week to 1000 a month.

niceoneted wrote: »
    It would be helpful if we knew what kinda budget your on as people might be able to point you in the right direction.
    Saying your on a budget can mean anything from 100 euro a week to 1000 a month.

well it would be closer to a hundred a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Yekreffac

Have you tried http://www.globrix.ie/ it has a great search by map feature for your search area and price http://snipr.com/zztud
    You can filter by price and number of bedrooms and even features of the
    property e.g. Gas central heating

PS. They are also running a completion at the moment to win €1000 which could come in handy for your college nights out http://content.globrix.ie/globrix6/ :D

Hope this helps:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Moved from PI at the OP's request

Try Myhome.ie as well

Moved from PI at the OP's request

Try Myhome.ie as well

Apreciate it man thanks!

Just to reiterate im a 28 year old mature student and im having trouble finding a place to rent, i have a budget of about one hundred a week and in about to months will be in receipt of rent allowance but before that i will be paying in cash. I am looking to move somewhere near ucd and i have found a few places within my price range.

The price however doesnt seem to be the problem before i get a chance to view to room i often get the feeling they dont want students especially as i might be on rent allowance in a few months. i have had people suddenly tell me the room is filled ect . Im getting a bit worried as college will be starting in september and i havent found anywhere yet. Its not like im broke or would struggle to pay rent i have saved for this and would be willing to pay the deposit well in advance.

Is there anything i am doing wrong or has anyone got any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Keep checking Daft for places in the South City area. You have another month to get sorted. There will no doubt be plenty of new ads throughout August. Anywhere near Baggot St, Stephens Green, Donnybrook etc are great because the No. 10 bus services that route and is really handy and drops you inside the campus at the Tierney Building/Arts block area as opposed to the 11 route that stops the other side of the college and IME is less reliable. Keep checking Daft a few times everyday and call/email as soon as a new ad comes up. Also maybe an idea to mention that you're a mature student. Sometimes places advertise for 'professionals only' - I suppose in other words they don't want younger students. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Folly go Lightly

Hey, steddyeddy,

PM sent!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Im a bit confused,how is everyone getting rent allowance and going to college??? Not trying to be rude or anything,just curious cause i want to go back to college,is this legit???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Im a bit confused,how is everyone getting rent allowance and going to college??? Not trying to be rude or anything,just curious cause i want to go back to college,is this legit???

Agree. How does this work OP?

I dont know the ins and out of it but its connected to the back to education scheme for mature students, you have to be over 23 be on the housing list go to your community welfare officer and to vtos. vtos also run a scheme were you can get social welfare while still attending college

their you go the part in bold applies to me :)

You won’t qualify for Rent Supplement if you

Are in full-time employment. However, if you are assessed as in need of housing under the Rental Accommodation Scheme and have been out of full-time employment for 12 months or more you may be entitled to the Supplement. (See ‘Employment and Rent Supplement’ below)
    Have refused a third offer of local authority accommodation in an 18-month period. In this case, you will not be eligible to claim Rent Supplement for 12 months
    Are leaving local authority housing without reasonable cause
    Are attending full-time education. However, if you are getting a Back to Education Allowance or participating in the Back to Education Programme you may be entitled to the Supplement.

Guys need a quick reply is it traditional in ireland to pay a months rent in advance on top of a deposit, i got three offers from arious places but only one asked this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It's standard to pay one months rent plus a deposit (usually amounts to one months rent) when you sign the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Yep, it's pretty much the norm to pay one month's rent and a deposit (normally one month's rent). However, don't be too surprised if the deposit is slightly more than a month's rent - I've seen this advertised in a few places over the years.

Advertisement