Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bottom bracket, should I be worried?

• 29-07-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

As I was cleaning the bike I noticed something new.

122028.jpg

122029.JPG

It looks and feels like it's only the paint.. but it's worrying me all together.

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Yeah, that's fcuked.

I'll give you a tenner for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ya its just the paint. If your really worried though you could remove the bottom bracket and check the inside but I don't think that's neccessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Spray EVERYTHING silver.

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

This is why you should never clean your bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Did you buy the bike new from a dealer? What kind of frame is it?

It could just be the paint chipping. If you tap it does it sound cracked? If you flex it - anything unusual?

Are you a gear masher? What's your weight? Have you ever dumped the bike?

If I bought this frame brand new from a dealer, I would take it back to them. Additionally, I would write a letter to the company, with pictures, and explain to them that your are unsure whether the bike is safe or not. Put the onus on them. If you bought a new bike, from a dealer, if there is any hint of a problem you''ll get a new frame.

This is why I swear by Treks and Cannondales. They stand by their product. Even if I hit a tree they have a fair replacement policy.

I am not worried about the images shown, just concerned. Carbon is very difficult to diagnose. I cracked a carbon Trek once - chain stay tube, and still managed to nurse it home about 15 miles at 15mph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

it does look bad but i would safely say it's the paint.but to be sure take it to your nearest bike mechanic,if it's still under warranty look for a new frame;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Looks like paint to me. I'm pretty sure I've seen similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You probably wouldn't notice it if you had a black bike.

You'll know if your bottom bracket shell is cracked - the BB will start making clicking noises.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Cheers guys, twas looking nasty that's why I asked :)

Advertisement