Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom connection cutting out

• 29-07-2010 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I have Eircom dsl. Frequently (every 10 - 15 mins) I am unable to establish a new connection to open a web page. This normally lasts for 2 or 3 mins before returning to normal. The strange thing is that if I have a torrent already running or youtube video buffering they are unaffected. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
    Speed: 15360 kbps /765 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 22 dB /9 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 11 dB /16 dB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

i'll assume you are using the zyxel modem as you are on adsl2+
    looks like the connections on the modem are maxing out
    go to this link http://192.168.1.254/NAT_General.html (password is broadband1)

change the number in the box to 2048 or 4096, the max setting is dependant on what version firmware it is running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have head bad things about that modem so that could be it alright. The max I could set it to was 2048. Will let you know if it works. Thanks for your help.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If your torrents or youtube are not cutting out then surely your ''Eircom connection'' is not ''cutting out''?

Are you using wireless or ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ARGURIOS1

Ive had something similar happening to me over the past few days. Connection just drops and starts back up again within a couple of mins. Ive only noticed it happening after 11pm...keep getting disconnected from XBOX live....very frustrating!. I have the zyxel modem so I'll try the suggestion mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ARGURIOS1 wrote: »
    Ive had something similar happening to me over the past few days. Connection just drops and starts back up again within a couple of mins. Ive only noticed it happening after 11pm...keep getting disconnected from XBOX live....very frustrating!. I have the zyxel modem so I'll try the suggestion mentioned.

Yeah try that, it seems to have worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I've also been having this happen over the past couple of nights, very frustrating, my connection is usually rock solid and every 15 to 30 min now I get dropped for anywhere up to a minute. It has been horrible for gaming.

I'm on regular ADSL, is there any similar setting for a Netopia router or does the above just affect those on ADSL2?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

I've also been having this happen over the past couple of nights, very frustrating, my connection is usually rock solid and every 15 to 30 min now I get dropped for anywhere up to a minute. It has been horrible for gaming.

I'm on regular ADSL, is there any similar setting for a Netopia router or does the above just affect those on ADSL2?

Would also like to know this.. Net keeps cutting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Lamposts wrote: »
    Would also like to know this.. Net keeps cutting out.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭draoicht

Same problem here, losing connection for a minute or two and pages not loading properly.

Did a speedtest last week and noticed I have been upgraded :rolleyes: to the NGB, so for me it seems related to that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is most unlikely that there is one answer to these problems. It is also important to do some diagnosis before posting.

Posting +1 is useless if you want to give people some help in diagnosing your problem.

Firstly if you are getting dropouts then it is essential to seee if the internect connection is actually dropping or if your wireless connection is at fault.

If your internet connection is dropping then you have to look at your line stats and particularly your snr - if it is under 10 this maybe the reason for the dropouts and paraticularly if it is hitting six. If you have recently upgraded your speed and start getting dropouts and confirm the internect connection is dropping then your line may not be able to handle the new speeds. Each step up in speed lowers the snr. Also check your internal wiring filters and so on.

If your signal is dropping and your internet connection is not dropping then you have to start looking at your wirless network. Netstumbler will tell you if your neighbours are using the same wireless channel as you are - try changing the channel anyways. Remember things live tv senders are disastrous for wireless networks - also things like torrents do not appear to agree with wirless networks from what some people have told me.

But if you want people to help you on here yo have to give some indication of your setup and what you have tried already in relation to the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

That router is useless

I rang them up complaining for ages and eventually they agreed to send out one of the old netopias.

Havent had a single drop in 3 weeks since i got it.

The zyxel router would drop the connection every few mins, even with tweakings/latest firmware.

I`d advise you to do the same

One day it actually dropped 12 times within an hour :S

p.s dno if the netopia supports adsl2

If it doesnt i`d just buy another router, the drops are so head wrecking

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

the netopia's do adsl2

the zyxels handle wpa badly. the connection drops when the key reauthenticates. you dont really notice it on a pc but it will disconnect a console. you can increase the timer to 9999 which gives you over 3 hrs. only other way around it would be to drop it to wep

Advertisement