Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking in clonmel - never again

Options
  • 29-07-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

In Carrick on suir you get first 20 mins parking free but in clonmel you get done if gone for a few mins. No wonder town centre is dying. And will be dying as far as i am concerned. a friend was penalised unfairly i think and in support of him both myself and my partner are cancelling fortwith any shopping in clonmel town centre.

maybe we will go to carrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

ticketout wrote: »
    In Carrick on suir you get first 20 mins parking free but in clonmel you get done if gone for a few mins. No wonder town centre is dying. And will be dying as far as i am concerned. a friend was penalised unfairly i think and in support of him both myself and my partner are cancelling fortwith any shopping in clonmel town centre.

It's the first good thing Carrick town council have done in a number of years to try bring business back into the town centre.

Fair play to them. In my opinion they should go even further and reduce the "rates" shops in the town have to pay in order to help them be even more competitive when compared to the bigger towns like Clonmel and Waterford City.

I've been told that all shops in Carrick have to pay set rates for water charges yet the majority of businesses don't use water. Makes no sense whatsoever if you ask me.It's probably the same in Clonmel and very other town in the country though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭ferguson

I was in Cahir in Tipp last week. You can park two hours before the warden bothers you. two hours!

And I find that in most cities and towns now there is an out side of the town business parks with free parking. I always use these as i would not pay for a pay and display on principle, we pay enough tax on our cars

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ferguson wrote: »
    I was in Cahir in Tipp last week. You can park two hours before the warden bothers you. two hours!

And I find that in most cities and towns now there is an out side of the town business parks with free parking. I always use these as i would not pay for a pay and display on principle, we pay enough tax on our cars

that's because the warden that was in Cahir is now gone. So a warden from Clonmel comes 1 day a week, so ya we are quiet lucky here:)

callaway92 wrote: »
    that's because the warden that was in Cahir is now gone. So a warden from Clonmel comes 1 day a week, so ya we are quiet lucky here:)
    so there is no warden even in the car park in cahir. someone told me you can park on the street for 2 hours but in the car park have to pay immediately? friend in clonmel said everyone goes to marks and spencer and tesco now. what is the point in charging for parking if it kills business in town and then the council lose out on the rates from the business etc. Its cutting offnnose to spite face

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Not. Tipp. But close enough...Mitchelstown 2 hrs. free!:)

• Advertisement

so there is no warden even in the car park in cahir. someone told me you can park on the street for 2 hours but in the car park have to pay immediately? friend in clonmel said everyone goes to marks and spencer and tesco now. what is the point in charging for parking if it kills business in town and then the council lose out on the rates from the business etc. Its cutting offnnose to spite face

no there is no warden permanently in Cahir. Ya, technically in the castle car park you should be paying for it, but the majority of people don't because you would be very unlucky to be within the 2 hours that the Clonmel warden is in Cahir.
    Parking in Clonmel doesn't kill the business in the town. Tesco itself is killing the business in the town, due to having many good value products. M&S shopping centre yes, has free parking, but has good shops itself. - Crunch, Eddir Rockets, M&S, Golden Discs.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Parking in Clonmel doesn't kill the business in the town. Tesco itself is killing the business in the town, due to having many good value products. M&S shopping centre yes, has free parking, but has good shops itself. - Crunch, Eddir Rockets, M&S, Golden Discs.
    yes it does. my info from my friend is the situation in the town centre is they will not go there. wardens are trigger happy. why to park when you can do free in ms and tesco. at least as someone said in carrick you get 20 mins free.pay to park to pick up a paper, double price of paper

yes it does. my info from my friend is the situation in the town centre is they will not go there. wardens are trigger happy. why to park when you can do free in ms and tesco. at least as someone said in carrick you get 20 mins free.pay to park to pick up a paper, double price of paper

I have been living in Cahir for 18 years and so far, haven't witnessed parking getting much worse in the town centre of Clonmel. obviously parking would get slightly worse with a new shopping centre and also a Tesco. That would be expected anyway. So, with the new shops, tesco etc, I think the ratio still shows that the same amount of people park in the town centre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭cml387

M&S carpark is free,I have never seen the upper level full,even on a Saturday.
    It's about five minutes walk from the town centre.
    Another large town I frequent,Mullingar,has lower increment times at lesser cost (30c,50c etc) for twenty minutes parking upwards.
    Clonmel is a rippoff for parking,and I believe they are raising the prices soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

Have to argue here. You get 10mins grace in Clonmel. Ok its not much but if it is the case that you are just running into a shop for a paper etc you will be fine.
    If ya wanna shop in Carrick where there seems to be nothing instead of paying a quid or two to park in Clonmel, by all means do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Have to argue here. You get 10mins grace in Clonmel. Ok its not much but if it is the case that you are just running into a shop for a paper etc you will be fine.
    If ya wanna shop in Carrick where there seems to be nothing instead of paying a quid or two to park in Clonmel, by all means do.

You get 10 mins grace in car parks. for on-street parking you get no grace (from the mouth of the traffic warden himself).

Hate going into town, resent paying for the parking. It wasn't so bad when majority of meters gave you the option of just paying for 30mins but paying €1 for 10 minutes is bloody ridiculous.

It is killing the town, there's very little left in the town that you can't get on the outskirts where you don't have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

You can pay 50 cent for a half hours parking on the main streets of Clonmel.

You get ten mins on street too. Trust me, I work on Gladstone St. Got a ticket a while back. I was putting money into the meter as she put the ticket on. When I went up with the ticket in my hand she said that I had been there for over 10mins.
    The town centre maybe dying but that has a lot more to do with extorsionate rates charged by councils to business premises than it does to free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

tippspur wrote: »
    You can pay 50 cent for a half hours parking on the main streets of Clonmel.

That option isnt available on most streets any more and its only a matter of time before they change them too. I think its still an option on the quays and in Irishtown but not right in the centre i.e. o'connel, old tesco car park, gladstone, parnell etc...

That option isnt available on most streets any more and its only a matter of time before they change them too. I think its still an option on the quays and in Irishtown but not right in the centre i.e. o'connel, old tesco car park, gladstone, parnell etc...

It is definitely available on Gladstone St and Parnell St, not sure about O Connell St.

It is definitely available on Gladstone St and Parnell St, not sure about O Connell St.

Are you sure about parnell street. Full sure they had removed that option there. Now i may be wrong but i thought they had. I know for sure about Irishtown as i only parked there yesterday.

When I went up with the ticket in my hand she said that I had been there for over 10mins.
    did you appeal
    The town centre maybe dying but that has a lot more to do with extorsionate rates charged by councils to business premises than it does to free parking.
    no it is because people are hassled to pay money for a few mins on the street. you said it your self you had a pay displayticket but still got done
    From talking to people in clonmel i see there are others going the way of OP

did you appeal
    no it is because people are hassled to pay money for a few mins on the street. you said it your self you had a pay displayticket but still got done
    From talking to people in clonmel i see there are others going the way of OP

Ya I did appeal it. I bought the ticket as she was writing out the fine.
    Both had 9.48am on them. I was there from about 9.15 in fairness.
    Anyway sent off the appeal and a full 5 months later, I kid you not, I get notification that the appeal was unsuccessful on the basis that I was there over 10 mins when she issued the fine.
    I went into the town hall and queried how would she remember the specifics 5 months on seen as nothing to denote this was on the original fine.
    I was told that all details are recorded at the time.
    I could have argued and looked for proof I suppose but I just said to hell with it and paid my €40.

My issue with the OP is that people are leaving the town centre because you have to pay for parking.
    I firmly believe this is not the case. If you had all the shops in M&S and Poppyfields in the town then why would you have an issue with paying a few quid to park the car?
    The reason that business are moving there is because of the rates they have to pay in town, not because they are losing business over people refusing to shop in the town because they have to pay for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

ticketout wrote: »

You leave your car for twenty minutes in Clonmel and you come back to a ticket. You leave your car in Carrick for twenty minutes and your car is gone.

I know which I'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

You get ten mins on street too. Trust me, I work on Gladstone St. Got a ticket a while back. I was putting money into the meter as she put the ticket on. When I went up with the ticket in my hand she said that I had been there for over 10mins.

I'm just telling you what the warden said to me, I've been done in the space of time it took me to get change and he said tough. Said if I had been in a car park he wouldn't have done it but as it was on the quays he could do me straight away.

The newer ticketing machines don't have the 30 minute option anymore. Soon none of them will.

• Advertisement

I parked up in 0' Connell St this morning outside Powers Paint shop, I put 50p in the meter and got parking for half an hour.

You leave your car for twenty minutes in Clonmel and you come back to a ticket. You leave your car in Carrick for twenty minutes and your car is gone.

I know which I'd prefer.
    That's Bollox :rolleyes:

I parked up in 0' Connell St this morning outside Powers Paint shop, I put 50p in the meter and got parking for half an hour.

They musnt have got around to replacing that machine yet. You'll notice the new ones they look much more modern and usually have one of the soler panels on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 caroiline

Thats not true at all. I've been two mins late and gotten a ticket. The wardens literally wait around if they know a ticket is nearly up and if theres none on ur car they don't wait 10mins you get a ticket straight away. The wardens dont care they are not nice at all and will give tickets if ur gone 2 seconds. !!

The parking in town is dreadful and it is one of the reasons the shops aren't making money people will not come into town unless they have to. It too expensive and there isn't enough parking. THe carparks and on street parking are usualluy full with workers in the town.

Eh bull**** !! Not a hope min is a euro.

Ya I did appeal it. I bought the ticket as she was writing out the fine.
    Both had 9.48am on them. I was there from about 9.15 in fairness.
    Anyway sent off the appeal and a full 5 months later, I kid you not, I get notification that the appeal was unsuccessful on the basis that I was there over 10 mins when she issued the fine.
    I went into the town hall and queried how would she remember the specifics 5 months on seen as nothing to denote this was on the original fine.
    I was told that all details are recorded at the time.
    I could have argued and looked for proof I suppose but I just said to hell with it and paid my €40.

My issue with the OP is that people are leaving the town centre because you have to pay for parking.
    I firmly believe this is not the case. If you had all the shops in M&S and Poppyfields in the town then why would you have an issue with paying a few quid to park the car?
    The reason that business are moving there is because of the rates they have to pay in town, not because they are losing business over people refusing to shop in the town because they have to pay for parking.

Actually both are a hge factor ask business people in the town and shoppers especially the ones coming from outside clonmel...

caroiline wrote: »
    Eh bull**** !! Not a hope min is a euro.
    wrong!!!!:rolleyes:

wrong!!!!:rolleyes:
    No im not i know for sure im 100% accurate on this go into town tmrw and check gurantee im right

caroiline wrote: »
    No im not i know for sure im 100% accurate on this go into town tmrw and check gurantee im right
    Tell me then how come every time I park in O' Connell st for a short period and put 50c in the meter I get a ticket for half an hour?? :confused:maybe you should try it sometime.

• Advertisement

Tell me then how come every time I park in O' Connell st for a short period and put 50c in the meter I get a ticket for half an hour?? :confused:maybe you should try it sometime.

I park there on a regular basis and honestly have never been able to get just half an hour wat meter is it from ? I always use the one near dunnes !!

Im from town and work there so i know all about the ****e parking !

Advertisement