Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some program is draining my Internet usage

• 29-07-2010 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

I have a vodafone dongle connected to a UMR router. I bought a 5gb usage last Saturday and it was gone yesterday. I had assumed someone had hacked into the router and started using my Internet. But I checked the users connected to the router and it's only me. So I got another 5gb today and watched on the router as the megabits used kept rising. So I turned off my computer, connected to the router using my iPhone and saw that the megabits usage had stopped. I turned on my computer again and without launching any programs the usage increased again. It's nearly 2 megabits a minute with no programs launched on my laptop. I looked at my processes but didn't notice anything but I wouldn't be too sure of that.
    Anyone got any ideas what's happening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Does it happen when the dongle is plugged directly into to your laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Does it happen when the dongle is plugged directly into to your laptop?

It is. It's approx 140 Kbps with no programs running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

windoww/itunes/adobe updates?

Adam wrote: »
    windoww/itunes/adobe updates?

No itunes running but itunes helper in processes which i killed and made no difference. No adobe either....no sure what you mean by windoww.

Could I have some sort of a virus?

windows i meant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Skype?

nope literally I have opened nothing on my laptop. All I do is start it up, connect to the internet (either by the router or by dongle connected to laptop) and watch the mbs disappear

yes well you dont need to start any programs for windows updates to run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Try run it in safemode with networking?

Definitely not windows updates because you can always see that in the bottom corner.

Something I've noticed is when I go to Resource Monitor under Network, there is a thing called KService.exe (See attached)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Just googled it
    http://www.opinionatedgeek.com/Blog/blogentry=000175/BlogEntry.aspx

P2P software. Probably worth uninstalling if it's eating all your interwebs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Actually i remember having a problem like that - i think it was kservice as well and it was related channel 4's 4 on demand service if you happen to have that on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Recommended: Identify KService.exe related errors
    Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as KService.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the KService.exe process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It is one of the Top Download Picks of 2005 of The Washington Post and PC World.

ithink you have a virus right click the blue bar at the bottom o your screen click on task manager and see what processes you are running if 1 is using a lot of power google this and see how to stop it ifitis a virus symantic have a lot of free downloads to clear these problem s ypu might also check add/remove program's and delete them from there --start--control panel--add/remove

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Actually i remember having a problem like that - i think it was kservice as well and it was related channel 4's 4 on demand service if you happen to have that on it

Well I'll be damned! Its not channel 4 on demand but Sky Player instead. I have just uninstalled it and hey presto, the downloading has stopped. I have had sky player on my laptop for months (never use it!) and it must have only started downloading something over the past few days.....wonder what it was trying to do?
    Weird eh......people should check if its doing the same on their PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Reganovski wrote: »
    wonder what it was trying to do?

Skyplayer uses a P2P network to distribute content. That means you are uploading data to other users continuously while the program is active.

Skyplayer uses a P2P network to distribute content. That means you are uploading data to other users continuously while the program is active.

Why did it only start recently so? I never had any trouble with it before.

Advertisement