Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet refusing treatment

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

just because some people have bad experiences in vets that does not mean they do not love the animals. Some people are very demanding and think that we are there just to facilitate them. I am sure some people are unhappy with the hospital i work for and they are a referral clinic. I get really pissxx off when people say it they do not love the animals or do it for the money i get a little bit more than minimum wage and im a qualified nurse so im hardly in it for the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

think that we are there just to facilitate them.
    To be perfectly honest, when I spend a lot of money in my vet, buy my food through my vet, recommend my vet and stick to appointments whenever I can, I do expect them to facilitate me when I have an emergency. If I could NOT count on my vet to facilitate me in emergencies, he would not be my vet anymore, simple as that.

It's not about my pet being as or more important than people, I have brought strays in during an emergency too, it's about your vet (and vet nurse) understanding that animals (or indeed people) can't time their sicknesses to fit the vets schedule all the time.

In this case the receptionist turned someone with a sick animal away without even checking how bad the animal was. It's a disgrace.

OP you have every right to be annoyed, I would make a formal complaint. If there was a genuine misunderstanding on the receptionists part, that can be explained to you and hopefully you will get an apology, if not, well at least you tried.

(please note: I'm calling the person a receptionist as I don't know if she is a nurse or not, no disrespect intended)

I have no reason to think my vets are in it for the money because all of them, the 2 vets and the 3 or 4 nurses are lovely, interested in the animals and interact with the animals, at any time of the day, under any circumstances. Not just when they are scheduled to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I can totally see why you would be upset in this situation - I would be too. However, your behaviour towards employees of this practice was not what I would consider acceptable either.

If I had been in that situation I would have expected the vet to quickly examine my dog at the very least. If the vet was unavailale I would understand, (but would not understand being told they were closing in 10 minutes) and would accept their offer of seeing the call out vet.

Vets should provide emergency cover for their out of hours times. In the Dublin area this often means the Pet Emergency Hospital based in UCD. The norm is for them to take over at 7pm on weekdays, 1pm on Saturdays and all day Sunday. That is the arrangement (and is for the practice you named originally in your OP). My GP will not personally see me outside hours but instead expects me to see the doctor providing out of hours cover - and I am fine with that. I expect no more from my vet, so I accept that out of hours I will have to attend UCD. So, basically, vets which do not provide their own emergency cover are not the same as A&E, they are only the same as your local GP, although they may provide extensive services such as diagnostic imaging and haematology. Obviously other practices, especially outside Dublin, provide their own emergency cover - that's their arrangement and their vets are paid accordingly.

In this situation your dog needed hospitalisation. Although I think the vet should have seen your dog to give an initial assessment if available (as they were still open), your dog would probably have needed to go to UCD for the inpatient treatment over the weekend anyway.

To anwser your original question, I have not come across this problem with any vets. I think you have every right to be upset. I also think your behaviour in dealing with the receptionist was out of order. I would make an official complaint to the practice owner. I would then register my pet with a vet that came recommended by someone I trust. If you are not happy to use the Emergency Hospital for out of hours care then make sure it is a practice that covers emergencies themselves.

I hope your puppy is doing well now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If the OP has a genuine complaint, it should be taken up with the practice. If a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached the VCI should be informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Thankfully today I had the opposite response from a vet to the Op.
    My springer managed to get his hands (mouth) on some rat poison and he had eaten quite a quantity before I realised and stopped him. I only moved back to my village last weekend so I haven't yet got around to registering with a vet (it was on my massive list of things to do) so I quickly googled and rang a local vet who agreed to see him straight away. He was with them nearly 2 hours while they pumped his stomach and gave him some vitamin K and I have to say they were brilliant!! I will definately be using them again. The poor vet ended up covered in dog vomit and solution and she was still really cheerful and caring :D

It is such a shame they OP didn't recieve the same level of support as I did.
    Thankfully he will be fine as he recieved very prompt treatment, but wow I was worried sick. He is my big baby and if they had refused to treat him I'm really not sure how I would have reacted and i'm the least confrontational person on the planet :p

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Having been brought up on a farm, I have seen a fair few vets at work over the years.

Like all professions some were just born to do it and some were not.
    Many who make the grade are not suitable at all and many who don't make the grade could have been great vets.

There are vets out there who are only interested in the income, charge excessivly and lack any empathy towards owner or pet.
    A vets job is not 9-5 five days a week; so a sick animal should never be turned away, unless it is is not classed an emergency and an alternative appointment is offered.

A good vet whether dealing with cow or kitten will do all they can to restore health and if its not possible will advise otherwise.

One can easily know a vet that is interested in their patients. He/she will interact a little with them and will ask any questions necessary.

If you are not happy with your vet, go to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

For those who say a vet should not turn away an animal when it is sick ............ it is possiable that the vet may have been finishing an op on another animal. Just because the car park was empty and the receptionist was at nothing it doesn't mean the vet isn't busy.

I have gone to my vet many a time when the car park was empty, no one in the waiting room & found myself waiting for ages cos he was dealing with another animal that had been left in by it's owner for the required care. In the event of an emergency I always ring ahead for this reason.

Also this I do not agree with "I do expect them to facilitate me when I have an emergency. If I could NOT count on my vet to facilitate me in emergencies, he would not be my vet anymore, simple as that." ...........why???? cos again it falls back on the same thing what if they are already dealing with an emergency, or an op or have a list of emergencies ahead of you. Always ring first, if they can't accomodate you then straight onto the next vet. I have a list of 3 vets for this very reason, but have my number one that I will always use when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

artieanna wrote: »
    Like all professions some were just born to do it and some were not.
    Many who make the grade are not suitable at all and many who don't make the grade could have been great vets.

So true. I have met Vets, old & young, that might be well qualified but they don't have the spark that makes them a good Vet. The same applies to Doctors. Both professions involve so much more than academic ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Most vets have a million and one things to do after they see their last client for the evening, surgery, treatment, documentation etc. Much of this is time critical and can't just be dropped because someone walks in the door demanding attention.

...and to anyone who is stupid enough to beleive that animals are as important as humans answer this question, if a human and a dog are in a burning building, who do the firebrigade rescue first? If your child and your dog was sick at the same time, who to you look after first?

I find that treating people with a kind respectful attitude gets you a lot further than a snarling attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Thankfully today I had the opposite response from a vet to the Op.
    My springer managed to get his hands (mouth) on some rat poison and he had eaten quite a quantity before I realised and stopped him. I only moved back to my village last weekend so I haven't yet got around to registering with a vet (it was on my massive list of things to do) so I quickly googled and rang a local vet who agreed to see him straight away. He was with them nearly 2 hours while they pumped his stomach and gave him some vitamin K and I have to say they were brilliant!! I will definately be using them again. The poor vet ended up covered in dog vomit and solution and she was still really cheerful and caring :D

It is such a shame they OP didn't recieve the same level of support as I did.
    Thankfully he will be fine as he recieved very prompt treatment, but wow I was worried sick. He is my big baby and if they had refused to treat him I'm really not sure how I would have reacted and i'm the least confrontational person on the planet :p

I have to agree, by looking at the quotes in this thread it's very easy to know which vet the OP is talking about and I have had nothing but good experiences with them. Years ago when my old dog got cancer and up until now when I was getting my new puppies vacinnated (sp). I have recommended them to everyone and they have also had nothing but good experiences with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭you*ess*bee

To everyone who posted a helpful and sincere reply, thank you. My puppy is doing so much better now. I have moved to a different vet, who I am happy with, and feel like they have a genuine interest in helping animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Hi YOU*ESS*BEE, i am at the minute a trainee vet nurse, hopefully be qualified at the end of the year :). However i work full time at a vets, i have many duties from going between reception, kennels, lab work and theatre. I am shocked at the reaction you got from the vets that day you took your pup. Personnaly the answer they gave you "we close in 10 minute" was a joke. If they had an emergency op waiting to be done or an emergency callout etc, they should have told you that but if they just were closing i dont accept that.
    As op said she is a vet nurse and we definately dont do it for the money as i am struggling to get by at the moment, however i love my job. I know this is sort of off tread at the minute but please folks reading this, give a bit of respect to you vet nurse as they do ALOT behind the scenes when you animal is sick!!
    There is many a time i have had to stay over my 10hour day for an emergency or get called in over the weekend if an emergency takes place. (quite alot i dont actually get overtime for)
    If there was another vet on call, i dont even know why the nurse (if that what she was) or the vet didnt admit the patient and ring the out of hours vet to come in as there was a hospitalised animal needing treatment, it is as simple as that!!
    I understand how you most have been feeling as a pet owner myself. I hope the little one is doing better now.
    P.s. dehydration can kill any animal and with vominting and diarrhoea fluid therapy can be needed, especially in a small pup.

Advertisement