Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

opinions on this bike :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Hiya,

I'm a beginner myself, but I bought that very bike 3 weeks ago, and I absolutely love it. I find it to be a very good bike for that price, definitely the best bike I've ever owned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

If they're really knocking e200 off the list price then go for it. The savings will allow you to get fully kitted out presuming your original budget was for e500.

Decent enough name bike with enough Shimano 2300 components to do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Difficult to argue with any road bike with STI shifters for 329. I'd say it is a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Podgoricka

i was on some bike last summer. did a big cycle on it but cannot remember the name for the life of me. it was expensive tho.. im talking 2500 grand and it had 24 gears.. 16 vs 24 is a big difference.. so is 16 enough say for cycling up by the wicklow mts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Podgoricka wrote: »
    i was on some bike last summer. did a big cycle on it but cannot remember the name for the life of me. it was expensive tho.. im talking 2500 grand

....and I thought my bike was pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Podgoricka wrote: »
    i was on some bike last summer. .. im talking 2500 grand and it had 24 gears..

Does not compute! (unless you were on an MTB)

The bike looks like a compact and probably has a 27 sprocket. This is fine for climbs in this country. Ad doesn't specify exactly what gearing though so check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

How many gears does not matter, it only matter what the ratio's are. Bottom line, this will be fine for you in wicklow unless you are fat and/or unfit. In which case ride the bike until you are neither of the above and hey presto ! No problems with the hills of Wicklow.

Usually I would say that this type of bike is excrement. But the fact is that is a pretty good price for an entry level road machine. Incidentally, although it won't be as good as the one your friend apparently spent 2.5 million euros on (2500 Grand), there won't be much in it. Bottom line, me on that Carrera would not lose a race by a significant amount against me on my top of the Range Cervelo. Worth a lowly 7 grand. For 329 its a good deal and 6 months later you will still sell it for that price or very close if it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Podgoricka

Lumen wrote: »
    ....and I thought my bike was pricey.

wow jesus thats a massive typo... sorry about that haha.. cheers for the replys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Good entry-level racer - if you can get one. I did a stock check and it looks like there are none in the ROI at the mo.

I started a thread recently entitled Halfords: Carrera Virtuoso Vs Carerra Vanquish where I made some comments about two similar Carerra bikes I looked at in Halfords - both more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

sorry man you havent a chance on getting a TDF im afraid :mad: they are an EXTREMLY limited edition and alas unless somebody in one of the stores cancells an order unfortunaltly ya wont get one :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Gers_punto wrote: »
    sorry man you havent a chance on getting a TDF im afraid :mad: they are an EXTREMLY limited edition and alas unless somebody in one of the stores cancells an order unfortunaltly ya wont get one :(

Bit much announcing a sale of bikes you don't have stock of...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

First post in here!

I bought what I was told was the last of the tdf bikes about 2 weeks ago (I booked it under the bike 2 work scheme about 6 weeks ago) I am quite happy with it, and have done abot 200k on it since I got it.

I have changed the pedals for clipless, but apart from that it's a fine entry level road bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i'd say thats an ok bike for the price. but halfords probably wont put it together properly and it'll end up breaking. im not sure if i agree with the other post that said this is a great bike for someone startin out on the wicklow mountains. if your livin around dublin and the only place you can train is up there(no other quiet roads) and your only startin out i think you really need a tripple chainring or at least a compact one. this bike looks to have the standard one with a 25 on the back, i think that would make most beginers struggle on those hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

BostonB wrote: »
    Bit much announcing a sale of bikes you don't have stock of...

The sale's been going on for a long time tho, at least a month or two.
    i'd say thats an ok bike for the price. but halfords probably wont put it together properly and it'll end up breaking. im not sure if i agree with the other post that said this is a great bike for someone startin out on the wicklow mountains. if your livin around dublin and the only place you can train is up there(no other quiet roads) and your only startin out i think you really need a tripple chainring or at least a compact one. this bike looks to have the standard one with a 25 on the back, i think that would make most beginers struggle on those hills.

The Halfords blokes in Blanchardstown sorted mine pretty decently actually, haven't had any problems with mine and I've so far done 225km, so any assembly issues should've shown already I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Looks good alright. Unfortunately they don't have stock in the five shops closest to me. In fact they don't have stock in any ROI stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Does not compute! (unless you were on an MTB)

The bike looks like a compact and probably has a 27 sprocket. This is fine for climbs in this country. Ad doesn't specify exactly what gearing though so check it out.

From having a mate who bought one, I can say that it's a standard double, not a compact.

+1. While I'm anything but an expert on bike maintenance, I was looking at the bike that the above friend got, and the amount of elementary mistakes on it were ridiculous. The back brake callipers were bolted so loosely to the frame that the idle tension in the cable was tilting them so that a pad was in constant contact with the rim. Both front and back brakes were set up so that they were usable with the wheel release thing in the up position, and if you put it into the normal usage position, they clamped onto the wheels! I fixed these couple of issues for him, but as I said to him, if that kind of thing was wrong, then who knows what else was? I wouldn't be in a position to check out the rest of him, being relatively new to the maintenance end of things.

Advertisement