Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for an affordable housing sale to go through

Options
  • 29-07-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi there ..

I got my Mortgage application approved today and I'm meeting DLRCOCO tomorrow But I'm just wondering how long does the sale normally take to go through

thanks
    A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

With all the legalities involved it's like asking how long is a piece of string.

A private house sale you'd usually be looking at 6-8 weeks minimum for everything to get processed unless both sides were in a hurry and circumstances allowed.

With the Council involved there's another layer of bureaucracy involved so it'll likely be 8 weeks mimum and could be longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭LeahK

My mate just pulled out of Affordable Housing, She signed for the house last December and was told it wouldnt be ready to move into until next year...

Really depends on a lot of things but I'd leave 6 months waiting time as an average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Brenna1311

Hi There,

I got my mortgage approved and deposit paid to DLRCOCO for my place in September of last year. I got the keys February of this year.

The process was a very frustrating one, to the point that I wanted to pull out several times. Promises were made and continuously not kept.

In the end it was worth it though, but would i be able to do it again.. NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Hi all ... To say this is a frustrating process is an understatement !!!

Most items have been completed now including the funds issued by the mortgage company. However, my solicitor is waiting on clarification of the management fees as well as the Home bond guarentee - she has requested this over a month ago and still nothing from the coco. I was told that the council have to request this info from the builders solicitors but what baffels me is that if the coco bought x number of units, why did they not get ALL the info they needed to sell them on ????

I now have signed all documents, the funds are released but I still can't get the keys !!! My solicitor is saying she can do no more which she probably cant but her definition of urgent and mine are totaly different ... I don't know wether to flip out or burst into tears !! I just want my keys !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lostaccount

Hi Greengirl, I feel for you. Dealt with DLRCOCO myself and found the only way to get things moving was to keep ringing them. I think at one stage I rang them every 2-3 days until it was sorted. If I hadn't kept on at them the process could have been much longer as it turned out in the end that the file has been mislaid. Don't know how long it would have gone on if I hadn't kept pestering them.

• Advertisement

Lostaccount,

Who did you contact in the council ??? I sent the Coco Solicitor a mail yesterday and my solicitor went bananas at me today !! said under circumstances was I to contact them again and if i did that she wouldnt represent me any more ... If I hadn't signed all the documents I'd pull the whole lot from her !!
    you know if they said it wouldn't be sorted for another 2 weeks but would definitely have keys then I wouldn't mind but it's the "limbo" situation that's driving me nuts !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Sounds like we dodged a bullet there. The wif and I were offered a 3 bedroom house in Goatstown under the affordable housing scheme. It was a nice house and I loved the amount of storage space it had but the location didn't suit us. It's a nice neighbourhood but it was too far of a commute for both of us. We ended up buying a 3 bed house privately for less than the affordable housing and the sale was completed in about 5 weeks.

Hi Greengirl, you can't ring the solicitor directly as they are acting on behalf of the councils interest. However there are people who work in the afforable housing department in DLRCOCO and they can follow up for you and give you an update. Can't remember the names but I remember they were quite understanding and mostly very helpful. Were you not given a point of contact in teh council?

Lostaccount, I was daeling with a very nice person in the AH section of the COCO before it all got taken over by solicitors ... I rememer the last time I contacted her was to see if the legal dept had sent the contracts to my solicitor yet but she told me to get in touch with her...I might try her again though and tell her that the solicitor can't talk to me.

In the meantime, I mailed my solicitor yesterday lunchtime and very politely asked her if she had had heard from the coco and if she didn't have the info she needed was there any chance that I'd get keys this week - (I have no idea how quick this would turn around !!) bacause I have delivaries and installs etc scheduled for next week as I presumed I'd be well in by now. So I was just asking to see if I needed to cancel. I got no response yesterday so I sent another mail today.
    The funds have been issued and my first payment is due 2 weeks from tomorrow - so at the rate things are going it looks like I could be paying a mortgage for an apt that I'm not even in.
    I know the delays aren't down to my solicitor but her defination of urgent and mine are poles apart and if Im not allowed chase the council solicitor well then I have to chase her to chase them !!
    I HATE Solicitors at the moment !!! Rant over :-)

Hi Greengirl,

There is no way they will give you the keys of the place until you own it and that won't happen until you close. This is very standard. I'm not sure if you should cancel or not but it took about a week if I remember to close after we had signed all contacts etc. I would suspect that as its Thursday now, you won't be in next week. Maybe ring and postpone the delivery for another 2 weeks.

I would recommend ringing the contact you have in teh council and ask them to chase up whatever the delay is on their end. They are the best point of contact for you at this stage. Always leave the conversation with a time that you will follow-up. For example if they say they will find out for you today, thank them and tell them you will ring them back at 4 to find out the update. Remember teh council have tons and tons of apts on the afforable housing scheme that they can't get rid of so keep at them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement