Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Hughes confirmed as new Fulham manager

• 29-07-2010 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/8866133.stm
    Mark Hughes has been confirmed as Fulham's new manager, signing a two-year deal with the west London club.
    Hughes, 46, had been out of work since being sacked by Manchester City in December 2009 and replaces Roy Hodgson.

"I am joining on the back of two of the most successful seasons in the club's history," he told the Fulham website.

"I am confident that with some additions to the squad, hard work and commitment, we can move this club forward in the right direction."

Good choice IMO, he should never have been outed from Man City so it's good to see him back in the saddle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Massive for Fulham, cue Craig Bellamy joins Fulham rumours to run amock. Its likely to happen too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

A good move for both club and manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Glad to see Sparky back managing a good side, after his bad treatment at City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Delighted for mark Hughes:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Good appointment for Fulham, but Hughes has big shoes to fill there. He will struggle to replicate the success of the last two seasons, 9th is realistically the best finish they can hope for, will that be viewed as a success by the fans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I'm not sure for fulham...

They've been a top club the last few seasons finishing high enough and I just don't think mark hughes is the man to sustain it.

I think hughes is a good manager, but I think when he was at blackburn was the perfect type of club, just keeping them mid table, keeping the fans happy.

Not sure if fulham fans would be toooo happy if they finished 12th or 13th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

eagle eye wrote: »
    Massive for Fulham, cue Craig Bellamy joins Fulham rumours to run amock. Its likely to happen too.

Santa Cruz too!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Delighted for Hughes. I think he can do wonders at Fulham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Santa Cruz too!:D

and onuha (spelling?)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Good appointment for Fulham, but Hughes has big shoes to fill there. He will struggle to replicate the success of the last two seasons, 9th is realistically the best finish they can hope for, will that be viewed as a success by the fans?
    What?

6th, 10th, 7th in his three full seasons at Blackburn is hardly mid-table. Hodgson manged 15th, 7th and 12th in his three seasons at Fulham. Fulham and Blackburn are very similar sized clubs too.

You just have to look at player performances to see that Mark Hughes is a very special manager. Bellamy had his best ever season when he played for Blackburn for Hughes, he had possibly his second best season at City and it was Hughes that brought him there. Roque Santa Cruz has done nothing since Mark Hughes left Blackburn, it would have been interesting to see if he would have done anything after Chritmas last season had Hughes been still there. David Bentley has done nothing since he left Blackburn either. Benni McCarthy has been hopeless since Hughes left and how we got money for him last January I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robbeardsley

Tbf you can't use all that as proof he's a "special" manager. Bentley's downfall was his own. Seems to me he hasn't learned to adapt to improving defenders. Never kicked on at tottenham and I think cuz he was too arrogant to toil. While Bellamy and Santa Cruz just played well at Blackburn seeing as they had teams built around them and played every possible minute. Whereas now Bellamy gets stuck on the wing and RSC is clearly not favoured by Mancini. New bosses aren't always accepting of previous managers purchases. And Benni hit his peak for two years and has returned to his Porto levels since he left Blackburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Tbf you can't use all that as proof he's a "special" manager. Bentley's downfall was his own. Seems to me he hasn't learned to adapt to improving defenders. Never kicked on at tottenham and I think cuz he was too arrogant to toil. While Bellamy and Santa Cruz just played well at Blackburn seeing as they had teams built around them and played every possible minute. Whereas now Bellamy gets stuck on the wing and RSC is clearly not favoured by Mancini. New bosses aren't always accepting of previous managers purchases. And Benni hit his peak for two years and has returned to his Porto levels since he left Blackburn

How was Bentley's downfall his own? Hughes took Bentley from a similar position to the one he is in now, and Bentley played the best football he has ever played at Blackburn.

Bellamy played well at Blackburn because he is a great player, not really much to do with the team being built around him. He has shown this by shining in a Man City team - even though he is stuck on the wing as you say.

McCarthy has returned to his Porto levels since leaving Blackburn? He scored goals at Porto, and he was fit at Porto. West Ham would love him to be at Porto levels. The guy let himself go, gave up on training and he has not been fit the past 2 seasons. As eagle eye said - Blackburn must be still laughing at West Ham paying money for the guy.

Hughes is a great appointment for Fulham. I think he will do a good job, but he does need a bit of money given to him to put a bit of his own style into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

What?

6th, 10th, 7th in his three full seasons at Blackburn is hardly mid-table. Hodgson manged 15th, 7th and 12th in his three seasons at Fulham. Fulham and Blackburn are very similar sized clubs too.

You just have to look at player performances to see that Mark Hughes is a very special manager. Bellamy had his best ever season when he played for Blackburn for Hughes, he had possibly his second best season at City and it was Hughes that brought him there. Roque Santa Cruz has done nothing since Mark Hughes left Blackburn, it would have been interesting to see if he would have done anything after Chritmas last season had Hughes been still there. David Bentley has done nothing since he left Blackburn either. Benni McCarthy has been hopeless since Hughes left and how we got money for him last January I'll never know.

I'm not arguing over the skills of Hughes as a manager, I agree that he is a very good manager. My point is how does he take the club forward? Hodgson got the best out of a decent bunch of players (Zamora, Paintsil, Baird, Hughes, Davies) and followed a 7th place finish with an historic run to the Europa League final. How does Hughes top this? Will a solid 9th place finish be viewed as enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lol
    New Fulham manager Mark Hughes could return to former club Manchester City to buy Stephen Ireland, Craig Bellamy and Roque Santa Cruz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I liked Hughes when he was Blackburn manager, but during his time at City he turned into an arrogant sod when he had a bit of money behind him... Hopefully he can return to his old self as I like Fulham as a club...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I liked Hughes when he was Blackburn manager, but during his time at City he turned into an arrogant sod when he had a bit of money behind him... Hopefully he can return to his old self as I like Fulham as a club...

Bit harsh, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Bit harsh, surely?

Nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Smart move for Hughes as there will be little real pressure on him. Fulham fans will be dining out on the last couple of seasons for a while, so they will not be unduly dissapointed if thier immediate future is lurking about mid-table and a few short cup runs.

mike65 wrote: »
    Smart move for Hughes as there will be little real pressure on him. Fulham fans will be dining out on the last couple of seasons for a while, so they will not be unduly dissapointed if thier immediate future is lurking about mid-table and a few short cup runs.
    Hughes though has a very good record in the domestic cups. He hasn't won any but he got to 2 FA Cup semi-finals with Blackburn, and he got to a League Cup semi also and it was big four teams that ended our runs all those times.

Advertisement