Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking Inside the Box! (12 images)

• 29-07-2010 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Got the Lastolite Hilite 8x7 yesterday. Been playing around with it. Jessica calls it the library for some reason. Here's some shots from inside the library.

This is my fav......
    604904F81A534C8683445DD2BD327405-800.jpg

Or this..... :)
    DB381CB9906A43E1B41C31086D1DE06F-800.jpg

E1B620C364FA4C35B887F5D8D2F4AFD1-800.jpg

The frog!
    5A6572C9CF074FCABE293CDF188E8F4E-800.jpg

DDDDB1EB0B60422EA64BB618ED0E14C9-800.jpg

47DE3A85DDFA47C895D673224961DD4F-800.jpg

EDE47F5F87794DCDA47B21D3F288EDCF-800.jpg

92E9EF491BDF4F4D99DDE5C281ADCE19-800.jpg

BD8BBE8735384E3EBF6BAAFE57D5CCB9-800.jpg

0D353E540CE34A98AE42BF2B52F9F29F-800.jpg

A59D9E5862844575B53AE9DEC6E23820-800.jpg

This is Outside the box..... Excellent piece of kit... :)
    E0836CA8D1064091B67882265F1AFD8C-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Lovely work David, never saw one of those before, I haven't a clue about Studio/ Portrait photography but the light in the there is wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I know I say this every time but you have a beautiful daughter. You always take wonderful shots of her and these are no different, perfect as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

great photos, but on a more graphical note, good placement of the logo, its consistent through out, if u scroll up really fast , it looks like it doesnt move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

I've never seen shots taken inside a hilite before! Beautiful photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'd love one of these! But our 2yr old would have it wrecked in minutes! Your little girl must be very placid? :)

Lovely shots, but are they a little over-blown in some areas? Not sure if you're going for a high-key look as her face remains normal exposed. If you get me?

• Advertisement

Lovely shots, but are they a little over-blown in some areas?

Im not seeing any areas over blown, is your screen a bit bright maybe? By the looks of it the main light is to the left so that 'library' wall is bright but other than that not seeing it apart from the 5th picture where it looks like the she may be walking in front of the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Placebo wrote: »
    great photos, but on a more graphical note, good placement of the logo, its consistent through out, if u scroll up really fast , it looks like it doesnt move.
    Yeah, that's my new hi-tech logo. Cost a lot of money to get that done. I wonder what else it does. :p
    I'd love one of these! But our 2yr old would have it wrecked in minutes! Your little girl must be very placid? :)

Lovely shots, but are they a little over-blown in some areas? Not sure if you're going for a high-key look as her face remains normal exposed. If you get me?

"oshead removes Thecageyone from his ignore list and engages with slight trepidation."

No, my goal was to expose it "normally". The nature of the beast, "light", is it's very hard to control. They are by no means technically perfect, but isn't that over rated anyway.

What Rachael said is correct btw, #5 and #6 are blown on the left.

Could well be this monitor, as it's a borrowed one after my own went kaput!

The whites just look a little too bright in some areas for me. As her eyes remain dark - OP will be able to say for sure by checking the histogram.

oshead wrote: »
    They are by no means technically perfect, but isn't that over rated anyway.

What Rachael said is correct btw, #5 and #6 are blown on the left.

As I said in post #8.

The whites are too bright in some areas and she has dark eyes, yes....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

whites look great on mine... tho mine hasnt had a calab in a few months. the images are lovely, really beautiful... your gonna have one helluva big beautiful book of memories there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Nice one David I love my HitLite! Spring it open and bam instant studio! Great shots btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Not EVERY photo has to be technically 100% perfecto cagey....

I wanna get me one of them Dave, they look amazing! Great shots as par usual!

Thanks melekalikimaka ;)

Ike, been getting loads of requests for house calls doing white bg. The traditional white infinity bg dosn't really cut the mustard when there's not enough space. So I had (wanted :)) to pick this up. So far really pleased with the results.

Cheers Kyle. Well worth the investment, I hope. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

Hi David

Great set of photo, but for some reason i like number 5 best. Cant put my finger on it, but it works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

The hilite is a very handy piece of kit. You're probably better off in going with the 8x7 if you think you're going to get the use out of it, the 6x7 can be a bit tight for groups. Two lights in the hilite and two in front I'm guessing? Nice idea with the inside shots, wouldn't have thought of that.

Hi David

Great set of photo, but for some reason i like number 5 best. Cant put my finger on it, but it works for me.

I know what you're saying Dan. I took well over 100 frames and it made the top 10 for me for some reason. :confused:
    daycent wrote: »
    The hilite is a very handy piece of kit. You're probably better off in going with the 8x7 if you think you're going to get the use out of it, the 6x7 can be a bit tight for groups. Two lights in the hilite and two in front I'm guessing? Nice idea with the inside shots, wouldn't have thought of that.

I thought about the 6x7 too, but Kathy in Gunns helped me make the better decision and I went for the 8x7. Glad I did now.

As far a lights are concerned, I've got a pair of BxRi 500s and they do a great job. 4 lights would be ideal but I need to keep this thing portable. Next on the list of purchases will be either a very large umbrella or giant soft box.

kjt wrote: »
    Not EVERY photo has to be technically 100% perfecto cagey....

I wanna get me one of them Dave, they look amazing! Great shots as par usual!

Who said they had to be? It was an observation, and I was right... Wish people would remember that when they look at mine though ;)

You can put me back on 'ignore' now Oshead no loss here. That means you missed my pointing out your site had errors though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i have a 60" brolly from calumet via ebay, was only about 30stg and is amazing

i only use it with 2 flash guns on triggers and it rocks

I'll leave you off for the time being cagey. You can be quite amusing with a few drinks on you. ;)

Steve, I have an Impact 60" but the shaft is 8mm and dosn't fit the Elinchroms.... :confused: I might try and mod the one I have into a 7mm.

No drinks, I'm just a tosser in general online :D

Just to point out, when I said her eyes are dark, I meant exposure-wise, just clarifying that. I meant her face/skin/eyes seemed more under-exposed then the clothing/backing - But as you say, it's the bright backdrop + lighting. Still looks great.

She's very cute and you're lucky to have such a muse, our 2 yr old is pretty much my main subject for portraiture too.

• Advertisement

I meant her face/skin/eyes seemed more under-exposed then the clothing/backing......

She's very cute and you're lucky to have such a muse, our 2 yr old is pretty much my main subject for portraiture too.

Probably just the reflective values of the different materials. I wasn't too worried about it. Anyway, Once I get it in the ballpark I'm happy. I did do a few frames at the start of the shoot where I pushed the exposure up by 1 stop but it didn't suit her complexion. Especially when she stood right up against the diffusion panel on the left. Besides, the light source is so big and close I just/could only let it do it's own thing. My main goal was to get a variety of expressions and actions from Jessica. Talking too her and playing games to keep her interested while shooting is the harder skill IMO. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

dave you know what you want

one of those huge octagonal elinchrom softboxes

http://www.elinchrom.com/products.php?p_id=76#content

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

How big is the base of that yoke Dave?

Cracking pics btw.

stcstc wrote: »
    dave you know what you want

one of those huge octagonal elinchrom softboxes

http://www.elinchrom.com/products.php?p_id=76#content

The octa, and it's lil brother.. lol I'd love one of each. Known in some circles as the most beautiful light in the world. ;) I priced it with bakers last year and it was over €1000 inc the dirty big stand that you need to mount it on. I spent the money on a Yervant Wedding Workshop instead. Maybe i'll get one when I open up my commercial studio/warehouse in a few years..... :pac:

humberklog wrote: »
    How big is the base of that yoke Dave?

Cracking pics btw.

It's 8x7 and about 2 foot deep. Perfect to fit a library in..... :D

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah...sorry about previous post. I'll leave it though as it made me laugh (because I really thought that was your answer).

So where do you take the photo from? Oh, is like an open fronted cabinet?

lol... You still got IKEA on your head. :D It's like a huge big softbox. I climbed in cos the zoom on the 24-70 couldn't cut it. :)

Ah...so you shoot from one end of the 2 foot side into it?

Jude man! You're cracking me up and making me look I'm talking to myself.... :confused:

lol... You still got IKEA on your head. :D It's like a huge big softbox. I climbed in cos the zoom on the 24-70 couldn't cut it. :)

Excuse the mix up with posts there.

It just took me a while to see it. Does it all fold up neatly?

• Advertisement

Here look.
    This will explain everything if you've never seen one.

Edit: I still havn't tried this yet.

Jude man! You're cracking me up and making me look I'm talking to myself.... :confused:

Sorry, textlag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Here look.

that's flippin' deadly.

off topic question though - is your kid EVER sad? she's the smiliest wee thing!!! :pac:

She flips hot and cold all the time. This frame is from half way through the shoot. I took her out, gave her a white dress and veil to wear and she was fine for another 5-10 mins. lol

20F2DE70800C4490ADF509E2598A53C2-800.jpg

aw, doesn't count. she's still cute!! :p

that thing is so cool though i want one. i have no use for one. but i still want one. :rolleyes:

artyeva wrote: »

that thing is so cool though i want one. i have no use for one. but i still want one. :rolleyes:

What a kid? I'll give you a choice of 2 if you line!

• Advertisement

What a kid? I'll give you a choice of 2 if you line!

lolz!!!!! :pac::pac::pac: jaysis ah no yer grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Here look.

Edit: I still havn't tried this yet.

Oh, you're going to have some craic with it :pac: It looks like a piece of piss in the video you posted, and it is eventually, once you get the knack for it. But if you can't get it it can be a nightmare!

This video will illustrate my point: (not a hilite but same concept)

My tip: Once you have it held, twist one arm in under the other, and it should collapse into a circular shape. Simples :D

daycent wrote: »
    Oh, you're going to have some craic with it :pac: It looks like a piece of piss in the video you posted, and it is eventually, once you get the knack for it. But if you can't get it it can be a nightmare!

I have a Botero bg about 6x7,the same one that David Hobby used in the Strobist videos and have no problem with that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

well done David, lovely shots.

How much per hour do you charge to rent out your sitting room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Really great shots, hope you are framing some for your wall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Just want to ask what lens and camera did you use?
    Exelent photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Bit of a knack to folding but once you get the hang of it, it goes in everytime

I have the 6x7 foot version and there is no house it wont fit into.

eas wrote: »
    well done David, lovely shots.

How much per hour do you charge to rent out your sitting room?

Not renting it anymore now that I'm going mobile.. :D
    goldseeker wrote: »
    Just want to ask what lens and camera did you use?
    Exelent photos.

The lens is Canon's EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM and the camera is Canon's 5D MkII.
    Borderfox wrote: »
    Bit of a knack to folding but once you get the hang of it, it goes in everytime

I have the 6x7 foot version and there is no house it wont fit into.

Yeah Keith. I got it first time. Took about 5 seconds to fold down to a smallish circle. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Small one (6 x 7) on special offer at the moment online:

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/backgrounds/lastolite_hilite_6x7__vinyl_train/20804_p.html

It comes with matching train for full-length shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

The lens is Canon's EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM and the camera is Canon's 5D MkII.

Dave, do u have to make any micro-adjustment in ur 5D for that lens to get it focus correctly?

MartMax wrote: »
    Dave, do u have to make any micro-adjustment in ur 5D for that lens to get it focus correctly?

Funny you should say that. One of the things I was going to look into when I got this camera was the focusing accuracy. I was never happy with the 40D/24-70. It seemed to back focus most of the time while wide open(2.8). I posted about this almost 3 years ago. At f5.6 to f8 I find this lense to tack sharp though.

I might do some tests wide open with the 5D MkII to see if the lense still acts this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

The 24-70 is quite a beast although I personally think when it is wide open, it is a difficult lens to master i.e. shallow of depth. Had the same feeling when I first bought and use it with 40D. Now on a 5D it's also a challenge to avoid shaky movements with extra weights and mega pixels to peep on. At this stage, focus is not my main issue. It is more the way I handle the camera and lens really!

Sorry for the off topic replies!

Yeah, I agree. Most of the time, issues with blurry images is mostly caused my the operator and not the lense. Here's a really good video by Joe McNally that addresses that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Cagey were you referring to pics 3 & 4 by any chance, I find #4 overblown especially when compared to #3.. but as David said he is experimenting with the light at this stage.
    I also understand why you picked #1 as ur fav David cos of her expression but I prefer some of the other shots of Jessica in the set.

I've a small nixer next Friday which is outdoors in Temple Bar, I'm not even sure of the exact set up but is youths from some project, I'm not sure if I'll need to buy some reflector but I haven't got a clue what size type, cept someone mentioned a tri group or something..cheap is always good these days. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Great pictures! That bright light works great with her skin tones.

A good way of checking of something is blown before sending to print is to make a threshold layer on top and setting the slider to 240 and 20% opacity. The white areas are blown.
    we have a 6ftx6ft tent like this and it's great for shooting families in outdoors because it diffuses the light on bright days and makes a shadowless backdrop. It also contains little ones and stops them running away (ish).

• Advertisement
Advertisement