Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Year - Aeronautical Engineering

Options
  • 29-07-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

Hi All,

Having passed all my exams and heading into second year of Aeronautical Engineering I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer?

What can I expect from the modules, is there much report writing/projects/presentations?

I have alot of time on my hands over the next few weeks before we go back to college, what would you have studied in this spare time to prepare yourself for second year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

Hi All,

Having passed all my exams and heading into second year of Aeronautical Engineering I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer?

What can I expect from the modules, is there much report writing/projects/presentations?

I have alot of time on my hands over the next few weeks before we go back to college, what would you have studied in this spare time to prepare yourself for second year?

Hey Im a 4th year Aero so I should be able to answer some of your questions

The main project/writing subjects are:

Mechanics of Solids - lab report thing - follow all his instructions to the letter if you want to do well. When he says 10 pages max, dont go over 10.

Aerodynamics - a pick your own topic report - buy introduction to flight by anderson. Youl need it for the subject. Frawley will reccomend it anyway so you might aswell buy it now. The whole course is the first 5 chapters. All the tutorials and exams came from the book.

Air transportation - basically a history/economics module. Presentations and an essay i think. Not much you can do untill you start the module.

Intro to CAD - projects take up hours. Philip griffin will can get you a stdent copy cheap. Worth it so you can work on it at home ratehr than in AM061

Aircraft Maintenance (Im guessing you have the new course structure) - 4 essays on topics given by guest lecturers - cant really study for these untill you get the talk.

Not really much you can do right now...i suppose aerodynamics would be a handy enough to study and get down.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Hi All,

Hi lad i'm a third year mech and i'ed advise ya to look at your mechanics notes from last year to refresh them in your head also look at some thermodanamics notes if you can get them. in relation to cad you can get last years notes on the ul website under philip griffin hope that's some help to ya lad

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭oisin_t

philly got a nice sizable grant for am0, so it should be done up quite nicley when ur back. I beleive he said 20" screens, quad cores, 16gb ram, (im grinding my teeth now...).

Sweet!! Didnt hear about this! This is going to make my life alot easier!

oisin_t wrote: »
    Sweet!! Didnt hear about this! This is going to make my life alot easier!
    ít's about time those computers were upgraded they look like the've been there since 2003
    all in all verry good :):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

philly got a nice sizable grant for am0, so it should be done up quite nicley when ur back. I beleive he said 20" screens, quad cores, 16gb ram

Just in time for my FYP :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Thanks for all the info guys.

Thats good news about AMO16 - well needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

he still had like 400 quid left in the grant and was like, "i need to get more gadgets for the PC's, use up the budgets"

i said to him, "400quid eh? new air conditioner in there wouldnt go astray AT ALL!"

fingers crossed that he didnt listen to me so all of you guys can suffer a bit like we did :D

he still had like 400 quid left in the grant and was like, "i need to get more gadgets for the PC's, use up the budgets"

i said to him, "400quid eh? new air conditioner in there wouldnt go astray AT ALL!"

fingers crossed that he didnt listen to me so all of you guys can suffer a bit like we did :D

ha ha everyone who's doing a M&A E course knows how hot in the day and radiculsly coldin the night Am 0 gets . what are the new computers like since your around ul at the moment

Advertisement