Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Build Request (Sorry)

Options
  • 29-07-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys!

Apologies another thread! this time im requesting for a gaming build, the previous one i was gonna buy from adverts was sold on so im back at the drawing board. I figured i may aswell save a bit more and spend a bit more.

Im thinking about €1000.00 for the components. Basically everything except monitor,keyboard,mouse,speakers etc. Can go over / under the price within reason if its worth it.

Im trying to piece one together myself but im finding i7 chips that are exactly the same but one is lynfield and other broomfield? Whats the difference my head is wrecked. Not sure what towers / coolers are the best these days etc.

Ideally preferences within the build would be an i7 chip and minimum 5750 HD or equivalent chips or whatever you think is best but i reckon they are good starting points?

Thanks again appreciate the help yet again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

you wont build i7 for your budget your better off with i5 Captureii5.png?t=1280442548

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Thanks for that build suggestion. Ill check some of those out.

I dont need the Windows so could the extra money be used for an i7? Is the 460 better than the 5750 1GB?

What sort of performance increase would you see with the i7 over an i5.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

MarkJD wrote: »
    Thanks for that build suggestion. Ill check some of those out.

I dont need the Windows so could the extra money be used for an i7? Is the 460 better than the 5750 1GB?

What sort of performance increase would you see with the i7 over an i5.

In benchmarks you will see bigger numbers, in games you will see no noticable difference. You will have to pay more for the chip, get a more expensive motherboard and spend an extra 50 quid on 2Gb more memory for tri channel. I think you would see a greater benefit spending the money on an SSD for you OS and most used programs.

What resolution is your monitor BTW?

Ill be picking up an LG 23" probably the one for 169.00 that we discussed before.

I just made this build up. Its above €1000.00 granted but for the extra €90.00 is it a good build with good parts?

pcbuild1b.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PSU is a bit old at this stage ang only OK. I would be looking for a nice modular PSU lihe the Corsair HX650. Aside from that it is a nice build, but you don't have to spend that much to get a top notch gaming PC. :)

Hate to be banging on about ;) it but shaving 140 off the build would get you a nice 60Gb OCZ vertex and a far more noticible day to day performance boost than an i7 instead of an i5 would.

• Advertisement

Ok ill go back to the drawing board on it.

Is the 5850 better than the 460X ? I could go for an i5 5750 build and save a few quid (what €250 max?) with the SSD but would saving for an extra week or two and spending the extra €250.00 be better for the long term?

Would get a minimum of a HD 5770 to be honest, for 1080p gaming.

This is along the lines of the the type of build what I was thinking about (Threw it together quickly but gives a rough idea of the approach I would take). Completely up to you how you decide to go, you have some tough (but fun) decisions to make :D. Would still come in under a grand even with a 460 or a 5850.

To boost my case have a look at these i5/i7 Crysis benchmarks, for a gaming system is the extra 250 odd quid really justifiable?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/03/01/intel-core-i7-930-cpu-review/7

EDIT Just noticed how close this is to massey086's build above, did my own homework I swear :p

122060.jpg

Im just going to throw another high end build together and then something similar to your build.

So notably:

The i5 build will cost me around €850-€900
    The i7 build will cost me around €1100-€1200

As you mention on screen im not going to see a whole lot of difference in performance, the only place i will is on a benchmark where i might get another 1000 if im lucky added to the score. So in reality it is kind of pointless.

What i will ask is though do you think its worth spending the extra €200 or so on the higher end build. I look at the new PC as an investment that realisticly is going to last me what 2/3 years? If i just save for 1 extra week i can go for the higher end build. For the forseeable future of this investment do you not think its worth the extra €200 or so?

MarkJD wrote: »
    Im just going to throw another high end build together and then something similar to your build.

So notably:

The i5 build will cost me around €850-€900
    The i7 build will cost me around €1100-€1200

As you mention on screen im not going to see a whole lot of difference in performance, the only place i will is on a benchmark where i might get another 1000 if im lucky added to the score. So in reality it is kind of pointless.

What i will ask is though do you think its worth spending the extra €200 or so on the higher end build. I look at the new PC as an investment that realisticly is going to last me what 2/3 years? If i just save for 1 extra week i can go for the higher end build. For the forseeable future of this investment do you not think its worth the extra €200 or so?

Well it will certainly have a bit more longevity, I really would be only guessing as to much longer but I imagine the i7 build still be high end PC is two years from now ( and the i5 build would be very respectable as well). I sense your heart is really set on the i7 and you are will ing extra 200 is not a huge extra stretch for you then go ahead. Far be it from me to talk anyone out a bit of overkill, tis a very a healthy trait in moderation. :)

Haha well its nice to splash out on ourselves from time to time. I see this as a good investment for the forseeable future so.

Well i might of went above €1200 a bit on this one but it includes the SSD you reccomend and a better GFX.

pcbuild.png

I forgot to add the DVD Drive so ill have to include €17.00 to that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^That's surely enough power to destroy a small moon. Can't beat that. All of your most feared enemies live on small moons, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That Corsair 650HX is a bit of a rip off.
    I'd recommend the XFX 650W.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=36372

Practically the same PSU inside (both built from the same seasonic) and both have 5 year warranties. The only possible downside would be if you don't like the green fan.

Edit: The corsair has 7 years in the warranty. Still €115 vs €75!

Advertisement