Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympus Trip 35

• 29-07-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_Trip_35

My dad has one of these, he rang me today asking was it any good ... had to tell him I haven't a clue! it's a very long time since I used a film camera. It's a basic P&S film cam, and sounds like it might take a nice enough photo. Where would I get decent film for this? Is it worth bothering about? I was thinking B&W film might be nice if it's not very expensive, and try get my Dad into doing some kind of mini project with it. He could do with a boost and I'd love to see what he would come up with on a roll of film.

Anyone ever come across one of these?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

They're still pretty popular. You'll find some groups on flickr about them. Colour 35mm film might be a bit easier to start with

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I have one. It's wonderful.

B&W film works beautifully with it. I think Humberklog here has one, and his photos are amazing.

I've actually dropped mine once or twice, and the lens is loose now. It survived 30 odd years til it fell into my hands :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Nice one, I thought it was some old relic, my Father always has old bits and bobs around the house, lord knows where he finds them!?

Is it easy get rolls of film for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Think it's ordinary 35mm film, pick it up in a chemist, online, camera shop, newsagent, wherever! Looks a nice camera, enjoy!

Nice one, I thought it was some old relic, my Father always has old bits and bobs around the house, lord knows where he finds them!?

Is it easy get rolls of film for it?

Yeah, its just the standard 35mm film. Any camera shops / labs will sell them. Usually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you've obviously not been paying attention to the festival thread - lots of discussion of these old small rangefinders in there...

I have to admit, I've not had any interest in film in a long time. But I always remember the excitement of getting prints back from a roll, you never knew which shots would come out ... or if you'd get a dreaded black out set! :D

I'm tempted to have him send it to me now and do a wee project myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

The Trip is a brilliant little camera. (full stop)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

For a camera that demonstrates so well that technology and equipment really are unimportant for making wonderful pictures it's surprising this camera fits in an average sized pocket.

Have a search through flickr as there are quite a few groups based around it.

B+W or colour work equally well in it.

@magic...that's not a rangefinder version. It's the same as my own. That's just a mock grill to make it look as though it is a rangefinder. Just simple 1m, 1.5, 3 and infin. settings. Sure that's all ye want.

Thanks very much Silverfish...all embarassed now:o.

What's the difference between a rangefinder and this one? I really have no clue. but if I manage to swipe this from me dad I'll be an expert in weeks :D Trouble is, camera is in Carlow, i'm in Meath and my dad is the worst person in the world to post anything. I'll just have to wait until my next road trip down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

What's the difference between a rangefinder and this one? I really have no clue. but if I manage to swipe this from me dad I'll be an expert in weeks :D Trouble is, camera is in Carlow, i'm in Meath and my dad is the worst person in the world to post anything. I'll just have to wait until my next road trip down there.

no rangefinder for focusing lens on trip, just the scale on the lens to focus

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

With a Rangefinder you can see through the viewfinder how accurately you're focussing from a small patch in the centre of the screen. You adjust the lens and range-in on subject.

With that model you don't. The focus ring has 4 settings: 1m, 1.5m, 3m and infinity. So you've gotta be aware of your distance.

You can pick them up on ebay for next to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

To quote yourself cagey:
    Thanks for proving my point, as you are indeed one of those .. But after seeing your atrocious oxygen images taken with some heap of junk, I'm not surprised.

You might not like the results you get as it's a film camera after all and that's pretty much what Fajitas uses all/most of the time.

You're a little bit of a stirrer mate, as I also said right after that that I was joking, go back and read properly ;)

Is that all your input into this thread? best off leaving then eh, as you're just spamming.

Since that thread is on your mind so much:
    artyeva: Eh, that was joke ... I think even Fajitas knew that. Like a playground where someone calls you a name and you respond with a "I know i am but what are you?"

Also, it aint what you use, it's the way that you use it ;)

So you can say anything you like to someone so long as you quantify afterwards that you were just joking? Sigh I wasn't stirring anything, just making sure you knew what you were getting into.

:rolleyes:

It's my Dad has the camera, I'm only going to take it on if he is too lazy about it and doesn't buy film.

You're stirring, admit and get over it/yourself. It's a bit pathetic you went to seek out the thread to selective quote, considering the sentiment of this thread. My dad is ill and needs boosting, thought this would be a nice hobby for him ...

:rolleyes:

It's my Dad has the camera, I'm only going to take it on if he is too lazy about it and doesn't buy film.

You're stirring, admit and get over it/yourself.

Nope nope not at all- looking out for you actually. Well I hope your Dad does take it up and has a whale of a time.

Looking out for me by dragging up something I said jokingly, trying to make me look bad? again ... ok, cheers.

I was shooting film 25 years ago, I kinda know how they work, but it has been a while. It is a basic P&S film-cam far as I can tell? I know I'd rather do the digital thing, as I make so many mistakes. Shooting a roll might test my patience, or lack of. But I'd be more than willing to try it now this camera has surfaced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lads i'll take the camera if its THAT much bother...jeez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Brndn

The trip is reknowned for the sharpness of it's lens. It has a 40mm f2.8 zuiko with 2 shutter speeds 1/200 and 1/40. It's mechanism doesn't require a battery and it is biased towards smaller apertures. It can be used wide open if you are sneaky but is tricky to master at large apertures because you have to guess the distance to subject. I got a roll of film back the other day that I shot all pretty much wide open and it has a lovely swirly bokeh. I use mine way more than my DSLR :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The Olympus compact film cameras are great. Although I don't have a Trip, I have an AM100 compact which is a terrific camera. Your dad will have fun for it and currently, you can still get film in a lot of pharmacies.

Getting it processed may not be as easy though - the number of labs is starting to fall I think. But DaireQuinlan may be along later to point out that it is easy enough to process yourself particularly the black and white non C41 stuff. I don't think you're in Dublin but if you've a Boots near where you are they should still stock and process film AFAIK.

on an unrelated note I'm finding it increasingly difficult to deal with thread derails and personality clashes.

Learn to rise above things. Please.

Yup, there's a Boots in town, will have to check it out. I'm going to try push him into trying it out, I'd rather he use it than me. I'd love to see what he comes up with. I thought B&W might be nice as I think it works way better for what might be deemed 'ordinary' images, he's not going to be able to go far with it.

But colour film can be lovely too. Even if he ends up just taking family shots.

but I'll definitely get it off him at some point to have a go for nostalgia purposes :)

Cheers.

Advertisement