Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people still belive in God?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

True but I think Islam and Muslim are pretty strong in the world on their own

Not to mention the millions of Hindus who, while I don't agree with everything, have some interesting views on religion and are less in your face about it than a lot of religions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

But I dont believe in the God in the Bible.
    As far as I know I didnt say I did either

Your whole concept of God is rooted in your upbringing as a RC though. Just because you've changed it all around a bit to suit yourself doesn't really change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

caseyann wrote: »
    http://www.theology.edu/faq01.htm

Have a little read :)

If you believe you believe if you dont you dont,To question why people still believe is personal reasons,and if you dont believe why would you ask or care.It doesn't effect you or anyone else who doesn't believe.I dont push what i believe on you and nor do i care if you believe or not.
    As i have said over and over again,i lost faith and i regained it on my own.I never agreed with church i never followed what priests told me.And god for me is personal.
    What i dont understand,is if people dont believe in it why you always asking so many questions.Is there somewhere you still have this feeling or perhaps you are worried you are wrong.And hope someone can prove it or disprove it indefinitely.
    Truth of the matter is you wont know till that day whenever it comes or you may not know.
    Why people have to mock peoples beliefs and something they care about and love is beyond me.
    I dont mock your disbelief ,but i will mock how people feel they think they know for sure and they dont,and how they can calls someone elses faith or belief rubbish and fairytale.Nice attitude.
    No matter what anyone says on here about any of the science and stuff,still so many things in world we dont know or understand.But so easily can discredit something just because science cant prove it is beyond stupid.And your minds are closed.Imagine if scientists decided they couldn't discover anymore,and had the attitude of it is impossible.

I don't know if this was in response to me, but sure I'll reply anyway. I ask questions because I'm curious and have a tendency to question the nature of pretty much everything. It's the reason I don't believe in a God, and perhaps if more people weren't afraid to question things we'd live in a different world.

I don't mock anybody that believes, and I do believe that religion has both advantages and disadvantages for human society in general.

I'm not really trying to make a scientific argument in my post above either. I'm making one about what we can actually see and feel and experience. An argument which is tangible, as opposed to one of indoctrination and "faith".

But everything is special because it is us and we are it

Sorry let me rephrase my point.

It's the idea that humans are in some sense more "special" than any thing else that exists that I see no need for.

Min wrote: »
    The History channel last night was using science to show how Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed with fire and brimstone.
    One can argue about what happened in Sodom and Gomorrah but science backs up the bible in how it was destroyed.
    Oh well then, everything else must be true too!

Why wasn't I told this before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Your whole concept of God is rooted in your upbringing as a RC though. Just because you've changed it all around a bit to suit yourself doesn't really change that.

Perhaps but none of the things I was taught were only RC, it was really all normal stuff like "dont be mean to your brother, not because you'll go to hell if you dont but because he's your brother and human"

MOst of what I belief originated from my own thoughts and other books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I don't know if this was in response to me, but sure I'll reply anyway. I ask questions because I'm curious and have a tendency to question the nature of pretty much everything. It's the reason I don't believe in a God, and perhaps if more people weren't afraid to question things we'd live in a different world.

I don't mock anybody that believes, and I do believe that religion has both advantages and disadvantages for human society in general.

I'm not really trying to make a scientific argument in my post above either. I'm making one about what we can actually see and feel and experience. An argument which is tangible, as opposed to one of indoctrination and "faith".

It wasnt towards you :) just in general the mockery and snobbery of people towards people who have faith in something so amazing is terrible.
    They dont mock them back for not believing.
    You have every right to ask questions,but why ask them if you are so sure? If you believe cant be proven then why ask people to prove it.God is personal experience for each individual.Some whole heartily believe like i do,and then you have others who are afraid but arent sure and then you have others who want so much to believe.I have no doubts.I dont go to church and worship.I pray in my own ways.None of my debates are indoctrinated.Everything i write is from pure experience and finding of something i didnt believe in for years.No one preached me back i just found the answers i had been looking for and it feels right for me to believe.

It's the idea that humans are in some sense more "special" than any thing else that exists that I see no need for.

All creatures are special and none more special than the other.

Do you mean because humans have some sort of consciousness that we think we are more special?

I belief everything particularly anything created in nature before it is manipulated is special.

Saying that I also eat meat*
    *but I really wish I didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Every thing is simply one.

Humans are a particular arrangement of the elements that exist within our atmosphere, as are plants, rocks, a slab of wood, a sheet of metal, the ocean.

Why can't people see this? What suggests that it must be more than this?

Nothing truly dies, the components that make things up will still exist in one form or another. Our consciousness may not last forever, but the components that make it up will, in a vast array of forms.

I posted more or less the same post before, and it wasn't really addressed, but I'd really be interested in any arguments against this logic.

Particularly from those who believe in a God.

Congratulations you have discovered taoism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Oh well then, everything else must be true too!

Why wasn't I told this before?

I don't know, maybe you think science doesn't back up the stories in the old testament.

You have every right to ask questions,but why ask them if you are so sure?

But I'm not questioning the existence of a God, I'm questioning why people believe in a God.
    If you believe cant be proven then why ask people to prove it.

Again, I'm not asking people to prove it, but trying to understand the basis of their belief, or where this phenomenon stems from. I also believe that getting people to question the way they see things is a good thing. Not necessarily to convince them otherwise, but just not to take things for granted, or assume that everything they're told is true.
    God is personal experience for each individual.Some whole heartily believe like i do,and then you have others who are afraid but arent sure and then you have others who want so much to believe.I have no doubts.I dont go to church and worship.I pray in my own ways.None of my debates are indoctrinated.Everything i write is from pure experience and finding of something i didnt believe in for years.No one preached me back i just found the answers i had been looking for and it feels right for me to believe.

I can relate more to this than the idea of a mass religion. This is something you've rationalised from your experiences. It makes a lot more sense than just accepting an idea that you're taught since you start school.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Min wrote: »
    I don't know, maybe you think science doesn't back up the stories in the old testament.

The problem with that is that anyone could write a fictional story set in New York for example. The place might exist but the story isn't true...

Do you mean because humans have some sort of consciousness that we think we are more special?

No, I don't believe that because we have a consciousness that we think we're special, it's just an idea advanced by religion (that we're created in god's image etc). My point is that we're not any more special than anything else, because everything is one.
    I belief everything particularly anything created in nature before it is manipulated is special.

This is the same idea I'm questioning. Why do people believe we are separate from nature? We are part of nature, it is natural for us manipulate (or interact with) our environment in the way we do.

In one way, there is no such thing as natural vs unnatural.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

People are not completely logical, stable etc. People are not particularly smart, just smarter. I'd be surprised if we didn't blow most of each other up. Anyway, things will probably improve over the coming generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

http://www.theology.edu/faq01.htm

Have a little read :)

If you believe you believe if you dont you dont,To question why people still believe is personal reasons,and if you dont believe why would you ask or care.It doesn't effect you or anyone else who doesn't believe.I dont push what i believe on you and nor do i care if you believe or not.
    As i have said over and over again,i lost faith and i regained it on my own.I never agreed with church i never followed what priests told me.And god for me is personal.
    What i dont understand,is if people dont believe in it why you always asking so many questions.Is there somewhere you still have this feeling or perhaps you are worried you are wrong.And hope someone can prove it or disprove it indefinitely.
    Truth of the matter is you wont know till that day whenever it comes or you may not know.
    Why people have to mock peoples beliefs and something they care about and love is beyond me.
    I dont mock your disbelief ,but i will mock how people feel they think they know for sure and they dont,and how they can calls someone elses faith or belief rubbish and fairytale.Nice attitude.
    No matter what anyone says on here about any of the science and stuff,still so many things in world we dont know or understand.But so easily can discredit something just because science cant prove it is beyond stupid.And your minds are closed.Imagine if scientists decided they couldn't discover anymore,and had the attitude of it is impossible.

Well caseyann, looks like we finally agree on something.:p
    Great post,sums up my thoughts aswell.

No, I don't believe that because we have a consciousness that we think we're special, it's just an idea advanced by religion (that we're created in god's image etc). My point is that we're not any more special than anything else, because everything is one.

This is the same idea I'm questioning. Why do people believe we are separate from nature? We are part of nature, it is natural for us manipulate (or interact with) our environment in the way we do.

In one way, there is no such thing as natural vs unnatural.

The whole created in Gods image thing is a christian thing which I dont really believe in .

To the second part, I just dont know why people dont get that we are part of nature and nature is part of us.

But I'm not questioning the existence of a God, I'm questioning why people believe in a God.

I cant answer for other people,i can only answer for myself.I believe God as i said because it feels right for me,its not something to be explained its something you must choose and find for yourself.

Again, I'm not asking people to prove it, but trying to understand the basis of their belief, or where this phenomenon stems from. I also believe that getting people to question the way they see things is a good thing. Not necessarily to convince them otherwise, but just not to take things for granted, or assume that everything they're told is true.

That wasnt directed at you it was for the thread. :)
    I have no questions,i questioned for myself for years.
    Why do people cry why so people get pains so deep inside when they loose someone.Science answer with the brain creates these emotions.But why are those emotions? Sometimes the answer is to stop asking why.

I can relate more to this than the idea of a mass religion. This is something you've rationalised from your experiences. It makes a lot more sense than just accepting an idea that you're taught since you start school.

Thanks,i am no way a preacher and everyone has their own belief in things that make no sense to others.
    I hated that i was worst messer in religion class:D Our nun loved me though :p

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Congratulations you have discovered taoism.

That's an unfounded statement. I'm just talking about what I can see.

Perhaps but none of the things I was taught were only RC, it was really all normal stuff like "dont be mean to your brother, not because you'll go to hell if you dont but because he's your brother and human"

MOst of what I belief originated from my own thoughts and other books.
    Well we'll never know really. Imagine there never was a Judeo-Christian God, erase him from the history of the world. It's beyond comprehension. It's impossible to say what you or anyone else would believe now if that were the case.

• Advertisement

storm2811 wrote: »
    Well caseyann, looks like we finally agree on something.:p
    Great post,sums up my thoughts aswell.

wow thats a first thanks alot,we only disagree with things because partly its fun and other reason is we are passionate people i feel :) just because we disagree never means i dont respect your views on things :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Oh well then, everything else must be true too! Why wasn't I told this before?

Don't surrender just yet. The History channel story was very weak and ran on the basis that two cities 'could' have been where the Bible says they were, and offered a hypothesis, backed up my models to show that liquefaction and a landslide could have swept the cities into the dead sea.

That's all. They did not go into the dead sea and find those cities or proves that they ever existed, just that if they had, at the time, they'd have been destroyed.

But we know this story in the Bible is to frighten people off kinky sex, idolatry and having some fun. :)

Thanks,i am no way a preacher and everyone has their own belief in things that make no sense to others.
    I hated that i was worst messer in religion class:D Our nun loved me though :p
    Do you believe in a heaven and hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

If this thread has thought me anything, it is how woefully ignorant and intolerant people are.

You cannot claim that, as an athiest, you more intelligent and enlightened than some-one with faith if you then thow every insult in the book at those of us who believe and tell us we are ignorant, delusional or just plain stupid.

Why should there be anymore onus on me to prove he does exist than there is on you to prove he doesn't? Some-one said if you make a claim you have to have be able to back it up with evidence. If that's the case then those who claim he doesn't exist can be expected to give their proof too.

There is a narrow-minded vitriolic hatred of religion on here and no attempt is made to even to try to understand where those with faith are coming from. Yet we are called intolerant and foolish.

Methinnks some serious rethinking is required from members of the athiest fraternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

That's an unfounded statement. I'm just talking about what I can see.

Unfounded? how so? Everything you're saying is taoist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

wow thats a first thanks alot,we only disagree with things because partly its fun and other reason is we are passionate people i feel :) just because we disagree never means i dont respect your views on things :)

I try to respect other people's views aswell, even if I don't agree, I'll debate it though..:)

Like you though, I don't see the point in mocking others personal beliefs.

Do you believe in a heaven and hell?

I dont believe in hell,i believe we create that hell in our own minds and souls and torrment ourselves.No better hell then conscience.Heaven i cant in all honesty tell you what it will be.But yes i believe there is something after death.

If this thread has thought me anything, it is how woefully ignorant and intolerant people are.

You cannot claim that, as an athiest, you more intelligent and enlightened than some-one with faith if you then thow every insult in the book at those of us who believe and tell us we are ignorant, delusional or just plain stupid.

Why should there be anymore onus on me to prove he does exist than there is on you to prove he doesn't? Some-one said if you make a claim you have to have be able to back it up with evidence. If that's the case then those who claim he doesn't exist can be expected to give their proof too.

There is a narrow-minded vitriolic hatred of religion on here and no attempt is made to even to try to understand where those with faith are coming from. Yet we are called intolerant and foolish.

Methinnks some serious rethinking is required from members of the athiest fraternity.
    Just out of curiosity, can you link to posts where people are calling you stupid, ignorant, foolish and delusional?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Just out of curiosity, can you link to posts where people are calling you stupid, ignorant, foolish and delusional?

Not me personally, I was just talking in general.

If you want to see what I'm taking about read through the thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's called the paedophile fallout syndrome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement