Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people still belive in God?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I believe in God. I don't mind anyone who doesn't; each to their own - what exactly's wrong with believing in a God(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laoishibee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

We are God.

What happens when evolution reaches its finale? What happens when a species learns everything there is to learn? What is the point in continuing? The only thing to do is to just start again.

Big bang.
    Life is gradually seeded across the universe.
    Evolution of many species results in sentient life.
    Evolution and scientific knowledge progresses to its natural conclusion....all powerful, all knowing beings.
    Restart the journey.

People think I'm crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

kjl wrote: »
    I have been wondering recently how does anyone think god exists. Like I can understand when we were back in the stupid ages before we knew what we know now, but how does anyone with an iq over 10 still believe nowadays?

I was on Grafton street last Saturday and there were a bunch of guys holding the "John 3:7" signs, I decided to question them. I made a lot of valid points to them which they completely ignored and feed me a bunch of circular reasoning to prove they were right.

Can anyone here who still believes explain your justification

You do not make it clear the relevance of IQ > 10 (are you <10?) but as this is AH, I refuse to answer your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PussyLiquor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

why does it bother you so much that people have faith? you dont . thats fine. but what would you gain form trying to convince someone that god does not exist. with all due respect OP i dont understand people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

brummytom wrote: »
    I believe in God. I don't mind anyone who doesn't; each to their own - what exactly's wrong with believing in a God(s)?

None of you have answered my original question, WHY do you believe when all the evidence is to the contrary

OK, I take it all back, Im sold :P

None of you have answered my original question, WHY do you believe when all the evidence is to the contrary
    What evidence is there to the contrary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Dempsey wrote: »
    How about you prove that there isnt a God first?

i will once you prove i cant turn myself invisible with the power of my mind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

eh.... the bible

The Bible says:
    1) God is egotistical?
    2) You will definitely go to hell if you have slept with another man?
    3) That you will definitely go to heaven if you rape someone and then marry?

Please provide chapter and verse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Can we all not just agree to disagree?

why does it bother you so much that people have faith? you dont . thats fine. but what would you gain form trying to convince someone that god does not exist. with all due respect OP i dont understand people like you.

Because of all the crap that has happened in the name of god.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

brummytom wrote: »
    What evidence is there to the contrary?

Second time posting today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Boeing_747_gambit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Jakkass wrote: »
    The Bible says:
    1) God is egotistical?

Jakkass, if OP can provide biblical evidence of these three things, will you renounce God and Christianity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Don't believe. Didn't decide not to but just can't.
    Though I think it would be nicer to have some sort of belief, a bit more comforting, so whilst I can't understand anyone believing I'm happy for them anyway.
    As long as they dont force it upon others its no one elses business

But I have always wondered if priests hope that they'll get laid in heaven or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

what evidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Can we all not just agree to disagree?

This is actually the most sensible answer for any of these threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

People still believe in God because they want to believe in God.
    They want to believe that the human race is not just the creation of chance and that there was some being who created us.
    They want to have a reason why they are here, they want to think that if they live a good life, they will go somewhere when they die.

Personally, I think that is just weakness and that the majority of atheists who I have met in real life seem to be much smarter than those that put forward a belief in God.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Multiple accounts would have you believe that Jesus did exist: http://www.carm.org/non-biblical-accounts-new-testament-events-andor-people

Do your research before you make offensive topics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Jakkass, if OP can provide biblical evidence of these three things, will you renounce God and Christianity?

I'm pretty confident that there isn't any.

Irrespective of this, why would it be important to you if I renounce God's existence or not? - It has no benefit to me, and it more than likely doesn't have any benefit to you. That is if we merely go back into the ground after we die.

The Bible says:
    1) God is egotistical?

1) you can live a good life, care for others, follow all the rules of god, but if you don't believe in him, bang... you go to hell.

2) god for a christian, you certainly don't seem to know much about the views of gay people, no you wont definitely go to hell, if you repent you can still go, but what of those who don't wish to dishonor their relationships by repenting for it?

3)http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Multiple accounts would have you believe that Jesus did exist

Just because more than one person might have said something................

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    People still believe in God because they want to believe in God.
    They want to believe that the human race is not just the creation of chance and that there was some being who created us.
    They want to have a reason why they are here, they want to think that if they live a good life, they will go somewhere when they die.

Personally, I think that is just weakness and that the majority of atheists who I have met in real life seem to be much smarter than those that put forward a belief in God.

I agree with your post and everything, but one thing, natural selection is not chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Bible says:
    1) God is egotistical?

Page 343. Just after the bit where Jesus starts training with Mickey. After a lot of training, Jesus is ready for the boxing match, and he wants to prove that he can go the distance with Apollo.

Actually, come to think of it, I might be confusing the Bible with another popular work of fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lazyQuestions

This is actually the most sensible answer for any of these threads

no no, lets sort it out here and now, God if you really are there show us a sign.... waits....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

no no, lets sort it out here and now, God if you really are there show us a sign.... waits....

Did your cat just let one off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

its all about personal prefrence isnt it. what ever helps the person sleep at night. i for one believe in god but i dont disrescpect or question anyone that doesnt believe, its there choice. the same as believeing is mine.
    not trying to say your disrespecting anyone though OP :o

Honest Question:

Would you put your beliefs on your children ?

Ush1 wrote: »
    That's not evidence to the contrary, that's one man's opinion of why he thinks there isn't a God.

The title of Chapter 4 of his book is "Why there almost certainly is no God". 'Almost' - even Dawkins himself leaves a tiny bit of wiggle room. I remember watching Dawkins on Newsnight plugging that book. At the end of the interview, he said "We are not put here to be comfortable." I'll try and find it on youtube, I found that very interesting. 'Put here', by who?

Anyway, as has been said - lets agree to disagree; does it really matter what people believe?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think I see something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement