Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people still belive in God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I bet it doesn't.

You'll win that bet, IMO, far more intellectual discourse has occurred in this one thread alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Pittens wrote: »
    There is little point arguing that you are oppressed if you have to go to a Catholic school ( or rather your child does) and then demand that all schools be secular which is oppressing - by this very logic - all religious people.

No its not

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

So agitate for more secular schools and dont ask for the banning of religious schools. Schools should obey a curriculum - so evolution is essential - beyond that having secular, Catholic, Protestants, Jewish and Muslim schools is pluralistic, having just secular schools is not. People may want to keep their identity - and minorities are in favour of this.
    (
    Segregating children is far from pluralistic and creates a "them and us" culture.
    There is little point arguing that you are oppressed if you have to go to a Catholic school ( or rather your child does) and then demand that all schools be secular which is oppressing - by this very logic - all religious people.
    (
    There is no oppression in a secular setup. It is far, far more oppressive to force religion down the throats of those who do not want it, or force them to the sidelines. All children would be treated equally and those who want to study religion should be free to do so outside of school hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

having secular, Catholic, Protestants, Jewish and Muslim schools is pluralistic,

But not very practical in an average-sized Irish town ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MikeRoeSopht

God preaches Love and Peace throughout the world my child

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Lucas Johnson is gonna appear in your bedrooms tonight for non believing!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In a popular science book I read years ago, the author mentioned something the publisher told him: in a book like that, every formula costs you half your current non-scientific readership. So, two formulas cost you 3/4, five formulae leave you 1/32 of your readership, and so on. The message: avoid putting formulae in popular science books.

It's occurred to me that a similar model might apply to religious people trying to talk to a non-religious audience. The way it seems to me: every quote from your scripture costs you half your current non-religious readership. I'm not going back to count all the Bible quotes in this thread, but if you aren't getting the responses to your posts that you're expecting, that may be why. ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I think its a personal choice, either you believe because you want to or you don’t. There is nothing worse in my opinion than a person who just for no particular reason assumes you are stupid and beneath them for believing in God. At the same time i do not like people who ram religion down your throat as if you are the worst thing on earth that needs saving.

For me, i believe in God, i have no reason not to, i read peoples views on why there might not be one, and thats their choice. I cant see a day when i wont believe either, i don’t go around telling people about it, im sure most people that know me personally would be surprised to learn that i read the Bible and believe as strongly as i do. Saying that there is alot with the catholic church i don’t agree with, i see them as being responsible for alot of peoples negative views on religion in the last few decades.

I think i people put as much effort into arguing about God as they did in securing a United Ireland then we would be in a better place lol :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Its Gods own fault.

- He is hardly helping his own credibility problems by being to lazy to smite Sinners.

Even if he was to smote a few hundred thousand of the Paedophiles in his own Churches then once smitten the fact that they had been smoted would be a warning to others and a seriously convincing point of credibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

For me, i believe in God, i have no reason not to

Seriously?

You have no reason not to believe in unicorns.
    You have no reason not to believe in Santa.
    You have no reason not to believe in the easter bunny.
    You have no reason not to believe Scientology.
    You have no reason not to believe I am God himself, in human form, personally here to test your faith.

But I'm betting you don't believe in any of these?

• Advertisement

Seriously?

You have no reason not to believe in unicorns.
    You have no reason not to believe in Santa.
    You have no reason not to believe in the easter bunny.
    You have no reason not to believe Scientology.
    You have no reason not to believe I am God himself, in human form, personally here to test your faith.

But I'm betting you don't believe in any of these?

I meant i have no reason no to believe in him as i havent been presented with evidence that he doesn’t exist (assuming God is a he haha)

I know you arent God, why would you be wasting your time on boards, and also ive read about false prophets proclaiming to be from him :pac:
    I don’t believe in santa as i have caught my parents many years ago in the act of putting presents downstairs :cool:
    I don’t believe in the easter bunny because when i got old enough i was asked what easter egg id like
    I don’t believe in scientology because of Tom Cruise and his weird friends, how anybody could take them seriously is beyond me, but some do and thats their choice

Thats all im saying, each to their own. I don’t rant at people for not agreeing with me and being a Republican, i accept their choice to not believe in what i believe in when it comes to Ireland, and other things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 11:11

I believe that the universe if infinitely amazing.....visibly and obviously so. Therefore I believe in the universe, because it sustains me and has the power to annihilate me!

I can understand that in the harshness of life on Earth that people can become jaded, disillusioned and self-deprecating. It's almost like everything is against us. People need consoling, and find they can not get it amongst people (understandable). So God comes in.

All I know is the Catholic church should be abolished. If, for example, AIB Bank was discovered to have thousands of child rape and molestation cases, do you think they would still be around? **** no!

Get them out, make the world a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭hdaniel

This is to the OP
    im not bothering reding the hole 40 pages
    personally i do not believe in god but you are an ignorant feker
    they may not be able to prove it but can you prove their rong?
    And so what if they want to believe in it?Some peoples lifes have been greatly improved by being religious
    Think of all these "born again"fekers,sure its a bit stupid bt if it saved them from a drug fueled life isnt that alot better?
    The only thing wrong with some of these people are the ones who criminlize gays etc
    Which is not all of them

I meant i have no reason no to believe in him as i havent been presented with evidence that he doesn’t exist (assuming God is a he haha)

I know you arent God, why would you be wasting your time on boards, and also ive read about false prophets proclaiming to be from him :pac:
    I don’t believe in santa as i have caught my parents many years ago in the act of putting presents downstairs :cool:
    I don’t believe in the easter bunny because when i got old enough i was asked what easter egg id like
    I don’t believe in scientology because of Tom Cruise and his weird friends, how anybody could take them seriously is beyond me, but some do and thats their choice

Thats all im saying, each to their own. I don’t rant at people for not agreeing with me and being a Republican, i accept their choice to not believe in what i believe in when it comes to Ireland, and other things in life.

Why is Scientology any less serious than what you believe? By your logic, if we can't prove something doesn't exist, it must therefore exist? Is that what you're saying? Do you believe in the celestial teapot?

Why is Scientology any less serious than what you believe? By your logic, if we can't prove something doesn't exist, it must therefore exist? Is that what you're saying? Do you believe in the celestial teapot?

I personally dont believe scientology is anything important, i have my views on all religions and i respect all, but people can believe what they want, i just dont see the scientology as others would, again its my choice, which is what ive said in my cuple of posts on the subject

I personally dont believe scientology is anything important, i have my views on all religions and i respect all, but people can believe what they want, i just dont see the scientology as others would, again its my choice, which is what ive said in my cuple of posts on the subject

But you said you believe in God because it hasn't been proven that he didn't exist? But you can't prove that Scientology is nonsensical any more than I can disprove the existence of God. So why do you believe one and not the other? By your own logic it's contradictory to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I think what MagicMarker is trying to say is, if you don't take Scientology seriously, what reason does he have to take Christianity, or any other faith seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

But you said you believe in God because it hasn't been proven that he didn't exist? But you can't prove that Scientology is nonsensical any more than I can disprove the existence of God. So why do you believe one and not the other? By your own logic it's contradictory to do so.

Remember it is never mentioned in the bible that God existed on earth, only Jesus.

Remember it is never mentioned in the bible that God existed on earth, only Jesus.

Your point being?

Just because i believe in GOd doesnt mean i have to believe all religions is what im trying to say, i said previously they can believe scientology if they wish to do so, i dont look differently at people for their beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Jakkass wrote: »
    I think what MagicMarker is trying to say is, if you don't take Scientology seriously, what reason does he have to take Christianity, or any other faith seriously?
    Is he serious? He wants a reason why people can take any faith seriously but they can't take Scientology seriously? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Is he serious? He wants a reason why people can take any faith seriously but they can't take Scientology seriously? :confused:

I think it's more the perceived logic in dismissing other faiths and yet being unable to apply same to their own that he's pointing out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Your point being?

Elements associated with scientology have been revealed as untrue or unlimited in detail, there is no evidence to suggest God does not exist.

Elements associated with scientology have been revealed as untrue or unlimited in detail, there is no evidence to suggest God does not exist.

There is no evidence to suggest the celestial teapot doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

there is no evidence to suggest God does not exist.
    There is no evidence to suggest the celestial teapot doesn't exist.

"There is no evidence to suggest that evidence doesn't exist."

Why people think that these statements are valid arguments is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Malty_T wrote: »

Well yeah, the statement "No evidence to suggest that evidence doesn't exist" is paradoxical.

Malty_T wrote: »

No need to quote me, it's not my argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

I agree - how can you laugh at Scientology while believing another pile of nonsense. I had to laugh when my mother said something to the tune of 'Oh those scientologists - they believe they're going off to some spaceship in the sky' And as a Catholic, Mother, where exactly do you think you are off to?

I don't know how any woman or parent can be a member of the Catholic Church. They have shown nothing but contempt for women and children and their dogma is based on a bible based on ancient myths and chinese whispers. The wealth they have is actually disgusting and I for one can't wait to see the Catholic church and all religion die. It's happening already, just taking a long time. They dress up in their robes and finery and live off donations from the poor they lord over, while denying their own wrong-doings and claiming to be representative of a mean and dissinterested god. It makes my blood boil.

People are capable of living good and socially responsible lives without being told the consequence is a load of virgins in heaven or a roasting in hell.

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

there is (IMO) no evidence to prove god exists and on the other hand none to prove he doesnt exist.. personally im going with the prove it or I dont believe it view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I hate all and every religion equally.

I've read the Bible, The Quran, The Vedas and some of the Tipitaka,
    as part of my studies years ago and if they taught me two things they taught me that not only are all religions the same, when it all boils down to it, but that they are all incredible horse sh*te.

What really amazes me is that followers, believers, morons or whatever you want to call them actually swallow the stuff they are fed without once ever pickin up with appropriate books and question anything for themselves.

I feel sorry for people who attend church and waste their time worrying about an afterlife and all that jazz, we're only here for, at best 80/90 years so enjoy it.

And none of that crap about how can you live morally without god, if you're only moral coz you're afraid of a vengeful god and not because you respect your fellow human beings then there's something very very wrong with you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement