Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people still belive in God?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

Who created god?

My brother says to me, " Sure how could the Universe just come from nowhere"

How the hell could god come from nowhere? Explain Holy Wan's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I hate all and every religion equally.

You are right, the problem is that religion has been hijacked, the failing Roman Empire were quick to spot that if you persuaded people that you had God on your side, one's enemies were less inclined to attack you and burn down your cities.

They also saw they could ask for tributes instead of collecting taxes and as a side benefit they could reduce their own standing armies, thus saving even more fortunes.

But that's the corruption of religion, man is a rather fragile creature and is still maturing, so the concept of their being some power or person moreorless in 'control' is just a human condition of easy acceptance ~ that is it is easier to accept than to question and they do draw comfort from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wonder how many people would associate themselves with a social club or group thats been involved in as much murder, myosgny, rape, corruption and general shenanigans as the catholic church if that god fells wasnt involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

kjl wrote: »
    Like I can understand when we were back in the stupid ages before we knew what we know now
    Just because you read about the Big Bang on Wikipedia doesn't mean you 'know' anything. People take a leap of faith when they believe what the scientist tells them same as the religious.

I'm perfectly content with not 'knowing' a God damn thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

People take a leap of faith when they believe what the scientist tells them same as the religious.

No, they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just because you read about the Big Bang on Wikipedia doesn't mean you 'know' anything. People take a leap of faith when they believe what the scientist tells them same as the religious.
    That may be true, but the difference is that you can go and study physics, and do all the experiments and maths yourself and discover if the scientists have been fibbing. You can't do that with religion because there are no experiments or equations that even claim to prove the existance of a deity.

Science encourages you to challenge what you're being told, religion discourages questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Do you feel you're taking a leap of faith when you turn your computer on, or drive your car to work in the morning?

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Do you feel you're taking a leap of faith when you turn your computer on, or drive your car to work in the morning?
    In what sense exactly?

No, they don't.
    So everyone's a scientist then and has studied the nature of the Universe for themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I for one have no idea how it works. All hail my magic internet box.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So everyone's a scientist then and has studied the nature of the Universe for themselves?

And this is the same as faith in God how exactly?

In what sense exactly?
    These pieces of technology were developed using the same scientific principles with which the Big Bang theory was and continues to be formulated. If you lived for a million years you still wouldn't understand all the scientific disciplines, but I think it makes a lot of sense for me to back the runner with the more impressive track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

krudler wrote: »
    I wonder how many people would associate themselves with a social club or group thats been involved in as much murder, myosgny, rape, corruption and general shenanigans as the catholic church if that god fells wasnt involved.

Religion has nothing to do with being a murder or rapist or mysoginist or corrupt etc.

There people with those tendancies in all walks of life, not just the Christian faith.

Please can people accept this and stop using this argument because you could accuse any group of people anywhere in the world of these things.

Being religious does not automatically mean you will be or will condone any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭optogirl

Religion has nothing to do with being a murder or rapist or mysoginist or corrupt etc.

There people with those tendancies in all walks of life, not just the Christian faith.

Please can people accept this and stop using this argument because you could accuse any group of people anywhere in the world of these things.

Being religious does not automatically mean you will be or will condone any of the above.

You could not accuse 'any group of people' of these things - that is an outrageous thing to say. As our own country has been severely damaged and lorded over by the Catholic Church I will use them as an example - they are responsible for the systematic abuse and COVERING UP OF ABUSE of thousands of children. Their reaction was to protect the abusers and deny deny deny until a costly and in depth report exposed them for what they are. Women are supposed to be servile and pregnant. The poor should stay poor and offer up their money to the Church. This is practice - not the work of one or two or even a hundred members of the organisation.

If a nurse or popstar or truck driver was found to be guilty of any of the Church's sins, unless their union or organisation stood by them and indeed supported them, you cannot say that the institutions themselves are flawed, merely the individuals. However, in the case of the church, it is the institution itself that oversaw, allowed and denied these abuses and continued to shelter the scumbags that perpetrated the crimes.

These pieces of technology were developed using the same scientific principles with which the Big Bang theory was and continues to be formulated. If you lived for a million years you still wouldn't understand all the scientific disciplines, but I think it makes a lot of sense for me to back the runner with the more impressive track record.
    I'll agree with you on that one.

The problem I have is people, like the OP, speak as if they actually have a first hand understanding of the world they live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

They could though, that's the difference - that people choose not to study or learn about topics doesn't mean the conclusions of those that have studied such things should be automatically dismissed. The evidence that has been amassed and commonly accepted theories are there to be investigated, studied, improved upon or disproved by any and all who wish to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

There people with those tendancies in all walks of life, not just the Christian faith. .

Can't accept that at all. And just becsue there are peopl ein all walks of life ~ you know, there are NOT ~ but even if there were in ALL walks of life it is NO excuse.

FACTS are there are MORE in some religious orders, apparently ATTRACTED to because of the freedoms and protection offered from Rome for them.

Now these are FACTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No they don't, you see, science actually works!

Planes fly, computers, your mobile phone, this is all thanks to science and the principles therein.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

People take a leap of faith when they believe what the scientist tells them same as the religious

I'm a scientist and there is nothing in science that involves "faith". Scientific theory arises from observation and reason, it doesn't just pop out of nowhere. If there were no logical pathways to the big bang theory or the theory of evolution then it would be given no credibility whatsoever. This isn't the case for god.

I guess I'm just taking the philosophical route of what knowledge is and how much does an individual actually 'know'. Which for the majority of the world's population, myself included, is not a lot.

The difference is I can accept my ignorance. Whether or not I actually understand the workings behind a car, mobile or airplane doesn't affect my life in the slightest.

Now If I was in a quiz and asked a scientific question I wouldn't go off on a philosophical rant about how we can never know anything with 100% accuracy. I'd simply give the 'accepted' answer, if I happened to 'know' it.

• Advertisement

optogirl wrote: »
    You could not accuse 'any group of people' of these things - that is an outrageous thing to say. As our own country has been severely damaged and lorded over by the Catholic Church I will use them as an example - they are responsible for the systematic abuse and COVERING UP OF ABUSE of thousands of children. Their reaction was to protect the abusers and deny deny deny until a costly and in depth report exposed them for what they are. Women are supposed to be servile and pregnant. The poor should stay poor and offer up their money to the Church. This is practice - not the work of one or two or even a hundred members of the organisation.

If a nurse or popstar or truck driver was found to be guilty of any of the Church's sins, unless their union or organisation stood by them and indeed supported them, you cannot say that the institutions themselves are flawed, merely the individuals. However, in the case of the church, it is the institution itself that oversaw, allowed and denied these abuses and continued to shelter the scumbags that perpetrated the crimes.
    What makes so abhorrent to me is that this organisation is supposed to act as a moral compass for its followers.

Seriously, why do so many people continue to consider themselves part of the Church? I'm sure a huge amount of them disagree with Catholic doctrine - how many Catholics actually refuse to use contraception, or believe acts of homosexuality are immoral, or **** is sinful?

I think for the most part people just don't like the idea of change, or go along with the persistent notion that being Catholic is an intrinsic part of being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭optogirl

I have left the Catholic Church. I no longer wish to be counted when statistics say there are X amount of Catholics in the world. Not in my name. If you wish to do likewise it's quick and easy

www.countmeout.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I guess I'm just taking the philosophical route of what knowledge is and how much does an individual actually 'know'. Which for the majority of the world's population, myself included, is not a lot.

The difference is I can accept my ignorance. Whether or not I actually understand the workings behind a car, mobile or airplane doesn't affect my life in the slightest.

Now If I was in a quiz and asked a scientific question I wouldn't go off on a philosophical rant about how we can never know anything with 100% accuracy. I'd simply give the 'accepted' answer, if I happened to 'know' it.

Of course, but that wasn't really the point you were making. You were suggesting using technology requires a leap of faith and as such is akin to religious belief. Now, you may not be a professor in aeronautics but you know that planes can fly because you have seen them and sat in them - what is more, anyone who wishes to go to an airport or book a plane ticket can do likewise. There is no question that planes fly, no ambiguity, no requirement for faith that the act of jet propulsion is actually possible, no select few that jet propulsion reveals itself to, no different sects with differing laws of physics flying in different ways. That is the difference between accepting scientific endeavour and faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

funny that, if I had a "heart attack" I think I'd rather have a "leap of faith" with "doctors" using "science" to help me, with their magical ways of making sick people better. do I know the workings of a cardiogram or defibulator? nope, would I put more trust in those helping me than my entire family sitting around praying for me? yup.

Which for the majority of the world's population, myself included, is not a lot.

So although you know very little one thing you do know is that the majority of the worlds population know very little. I'd like to see the results of this research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Dude its okay to belive in god or have faith in higher power.Thats nice.You can belive in god but can disagree with a religons teachings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hairspray wrote: »
    Dude its okay to belive in god or have faith in higher power.Thats nice.You can belive in god but can disagree with a religons teachings.
    But arent' religious teachings the direct word of your god? And wouldn't disagreeing with them be disagreeing with your god? I've heard that he takes a dim view of that.

kylith wrote: »
    But arent' religious teachings the direct word of your god? And wouldn't disagreeing with them be disagreeing with your god? I've heard that he takes a dim view of that.

Depends what "your god" is. You could believe that a god created the universe yet not associate yourself with organised religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

And this is the same as faith in God how exactly?
    If your lucky enough for it (faith) to knock upon your world maybe then you will know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

krudler wrote: »
    funny that, if I had a "heart attack" I think I'd rather have a "leap of faith" with "doctors" using "science" to help me, with their magical ways of making sick people better. do I know the workings of a cardiogram or defibulator? nope, would I put more trust in those helping me than my entire family sitting around praying for me? yup.

What if the defibulator fails?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement