Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people still belive in God?

Options
1212223242527»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Your location is The Milky Way, you see all
    Is this supposed to have some meaning? Or are you just posting random words?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Is this supposed to have some meaning? Or are you just posting random words?

Jesus lad are you sure your nickname is not clock? I never found it so easy to wind up someone :D

I will say however for someone with no belief in God you certainly mention his/her/it's name as if it means something to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dazd_N_Confusd

Of course, but that wasn't really the point you were making. You were suggesting using technology requires a leap of faith and as such is akin to religious belief. Now, you may not be a professor in aeronautics but you know that planes can fly because you have seen them and sat in them - what is more, anyone who wishes to go to an airport or book a plane ticket can do likewise. There is no question that planes fly, no ambiguity, no requirement for faith that the act of jet propulsion is actually possible, no select few that jet propulsion reveals itself to, no different sects with differing laws of physics flying in different ways. That is the difference between accepting scientific endeavour and faith.
    Big difference between something that millions of people observe daily (the flying of planes) and the ramblings of some scientist who makes claims that the average person cannot comprehend.

Just watched an episode of QI where Stephen Fry talks about Dark Matter and how it permeates 90% of space despite the fact no human can observe it. To me that's just fancy wordplay.

I can say I 'know' planes fly because I can observe them. For a person to understand the nature of the universe they most likely have to go to college for a long time. Simply reading an article on Wikipedia ins't enough in my mind.

Jesus lad are you sure your nickname is not clock? I never found it so easy to wind up someone :D

I will say however for someone with no belief in God you certainly mention his/her/it's name as if it means something to you.

You needn't flatter yourself, you are by no means winding me up. Although I'm sure the mods will be glad to know there's a troll about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Big difference between something that millions of people observe daily (the flying of planes) and the ramblings of some scientist who makes claims that the average person cannot comprehend.

Just watched an episode of QI where Stephen Fry talks about Dark Matter and how it permeates 90% of space despite the fact no human can observe it. To me that's just fancy wordplay.

I can say I 'know' planes fly because I can observe them. For a person to understand the nature of the universe they most likely have to go to college for a long time. Simply reading an article on Wikipedia ins't enough in my mind.

If you had a general grounding in astrophysics then it wouldn't be. That you don't know anything about the subject Stephen Fry refers to is more a reflection of your topical ignorance than him trying to bamboozle you with fancy word-play - it's hardly fair to blame your lack of comprehension on his choice of technical vocabulary.

Do you really think people just make up random suggestions and by donning a white coat or having a reasonable grasp on the english language are somehow able to pass off their suggestions as serious hypothesis that is generally accepted by experts in those fields? Do you know how the scientific community operates? Have you heard of peer review or modelling?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Believing gives people hope and belief in the afterlife is a big driver of people. I personally cannot comprehend the fact that when we die that is just it. We are all so special and the world is just too random for it to be curtains upon death. The world is so large and beautiful that there is greater powers at work. However alot of mainstream organised religion have hijacked divinity and made religion into a business.

Dark matter cannot be observed because it's not an actual ''thing''. It's just a name given to something that we can't fully explain yet.

You don't need to go to college to learn about the universe you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If there was a God he'd smite this thread

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It can't be directly observed yet but it is still matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

God created the universe in all its infinitesimal beauty just so he could tell a particular species on a tiny insignificant spec not to masturbate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The difference being that you can go to college and learn about it, study it and find out for yourself if things like dark matter or string theory are plausible. No matter how often you read the bible or koran you're not going to get any closer to actually knowing whether there is a god or not.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    Believing gives people hope and belief in the afterlife is a big driver of people. I personally cannot comprehend the fact that when we die that is just it.
    You know when you go to sleep, and you don't dream? It's probably like that. You won't mind, or even know, that there's no afterlife because you'll be dead.

Life after death will be no different to life before birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Last orders folks...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

One religion please, extra opressive. Mmm, dems good morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Life after death will be no different to life before birth.

So whose womb are you going to lob yourself into as a terminally ill octogenarian?:pac:

So whose womb are you going to lob yourself into as a terminally ill octogenarian?:pac:
    I'm gonna find me a virgin with a gullible husband. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

See yous in the next god vs science thread folks :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement