Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people still belive in God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Jakkass wrote: »
    I'm pretty confident that there isn't any.

Irrespective of this, why would it be important to you if I renounce God's existence or not? - It has no benefit to me, and it more than likely doesn't have any benefit to you. That is if we merely go back into the ground after we die.

It would mean that these discussions - interesting though they can be - will never really change a true believer's mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

kjl wrote: »
    I have been wondering recently how does anyone think god exists. Like I can understand when we were back in the stupid ages before we knew what we know now, but how does anyone with an iq over 10 still believe nowadays?

I was on Grafton street last Saturday and there were a bunch of guys holding the "John 3:7" signs, I decided to question them. I made a lot of valid points to them which they completely ignored and feed me a bunch of circular reasoning to prove they were right.

Can anyone here who still believes explain your justification

you should worry about yourself and not others once they aren't harming anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

1) you can live a good life, care for others, follow all the rules of god, but if you don't believe in him, bang... you go to hell.

2) god for a christian, you certainly don't seem to know much about the views of gay people, no you wont definitely go to hell, if you repent you can still go, but what of those who don't wish to dishonor their relationships by repenting for it?

3)http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm

You think you know everything about what Christians think and believe already so it seems. Emphasis on think. I don't think you really want to hear what explanations Christians can give (E.G - The link you've cited makes quite a few leaps in respect to those passages), because you think of necessity all Christians are stupid and that atheists are their superiors.
    It would mean that these discussions - interesting though they can be - will never really change a true believer's mind.

I'd need a pretty good reason to change my mind on the God issue, considering the amount of time I've spent thinking about it, and looking into it. Admittedly, it makes a lot of sense to me at the minute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

brummytom wrote: »
    That's not evidence to the contrary, that's one man's opinion of why he thinks there isn't a God.

The title of Chapter 4 of his book is "Why there almost certainly is no God". 'Almost' - even Dawkins himself leaves a tiny bit of wiggle room. I remember watching Dawkins on Newsnight plugging that book. At the end of the interview, he said "We are not put here to be comfortable." I'll try and find it on youtube, I found that very interesting. 'Put here', by who?

Anyway, as has been said - lets agree to disagree; does it really matter what people believe?
    Dawkin's uses the word ''almost'' because he's a scientist and it would be wrong to state as a fact that there is no God.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

The Catholic Church - The one single reason that has turned me away from Catholicism and the broader notion of religion and a 'Higher power'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

brummytom wrote: »
    That's not evidence to the contrary, that's one man's opinion of why he thinks there isn't a God.

The title of Chapter 4 of his book is "Why there almost certainly is no God". 'Almost' - even Dawkins himself leaves a tiny bit of wiggle room. I remember watching Dawkins on Newsnight plugging that book. At the end of the interview, he said "We are not put here to be comfortable." I'll try and find it on youtube, I found that very interesting. 'Put here', by who?

Anyway, as has been said - lets agree to disagree; does it really matter what people believe?

Did you read it? It's not his opinion at all. It's scientific evidence and probability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

aDeener wrote: »

right so the Crusades, the thirty year war, Taiping Rebellion all harmless were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Slasher said it for me,a belief in a God is simply a comfort, most people want something to turn too when their down and thank when their up,A God fits the bill swimingly. Personally, it's organised religion I blame on the woe's of the world. It was a cute hoor who thought them up because he figured out when you control peoples hopes, dreams and fears,you control the world.

right so the Crusades, the thirty year war, Taiping Rebellion all harmless were they?

One could also argue the same for a number of secular movements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lazyQuestions

I think I see something.

:D

• Advertisement

I'd need a pretty good reason to change my mind on the God issue, considering the amount of time I've spent thinking about it, and looking into it. Admittedly, it makes a lot of sense to me at the minute.

Fair enough. What would constitute "a pretty good reason"? Would it be an argument you haven't come across, or a certain event taking place in the world, or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Religion in human history has been the most harmful infulence on our race.

In the words of Billy Connelly.

"yous ****ed it. Yous had a couple of thousand years and yous ****ed it. Its OOOOOOVVVVER lads. OVER "

You think you know everything about what Christians think and believe already so it seems. Emphasis on think. I don't think you really want to hear what explanations Christians can give (E.G - The link you've cited makes quite a few leaps in respect to those passages), because you think of necessity all Christians are stupid and that atheists are their superiors.

Well I was raised as a christian, until I grew up and stopped beliving in this rubbish, just like the Easter bunny and Santa clause.

With all this research of yours can you give me one shred of hope or evidence that he exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

How come, that any time - day or night, 365 days a year - if a thread is started about God, the church or Christianity, that within 2 pages, Jakkass appears, out of the blue, as if he has been summoned by a higher power?

Is it possible, that he is omnipresent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

can you read?

and i don't believe the crusades are ongoing.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I hope not, it's bad enough thinking my dead grandmother watches me when I masturbate.

One could also argue the same for a number of secular movements.

lol the great Dawkins war of 2200, you will need to be more specific.

Fair enough. What would constitute "a pretty good reason"? Would it be an argument you haven't come across, or a certain event taking place in the world, or something else?

I have a distinct feeling that I will die being a Christian. If I were to change my mind, it would have to be an argument that made clear sense as to rule God's existence out entirely. Over the last few years, I've heard a lot of reasons as to why I shouldn't believe. This would lead me to think that it would need to be a pretty good reason.
    lol the great Dawkins war of 2200, you will need to be more specific.

100 million lives were lost in the 20th century, its cause wasn't religion. In fact I would suspect that more lives have been lost for secular reasons and causes than religious ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

How come, that any time - day or night, 365 days a year - if a thread is started about God, the church or Christianity, that within 2 pages, Jakkass appears, out of the blue, as if he has been summoned by a higher power?

It's about the only thing that makes me question my Atheist beliefs.

• Advertisement

can you read?

and i don't believe the crusades are ongoing.....

can you read, i used the past tense. I will no longer reply to your comments.

I have a distinct feeling that I will die being a Christian. If I were to change my mind, it would have to be an argument that made clear sense as to rule God's existence out entirely. Over the last few years, I've heard a lot of reasons as to why I shouldn't believe. This would lead me to think that it would need to be a pretty good reason.

Well, thanks for answering the question - most believers tend to side-step it, in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

My favourite bit in the bible:

Then the LORD opened the donkey's mouth, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?" Balaam answered the donkey, "You have made a fool of me! If I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now." The donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?" "No," he said

Numbers 22:28

I'm 99.99% sure there's no god, but there's still a possibility. But I'm 100% sure every religion is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

You will get your answer when you die or you wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

100 million lives were lost in the 20th century, its cause wasn't religion. In fact I would suspect that more lives have been lost for secular reasons and causes than religious ones.

Have you even read about evolution ? Its pretty clear from that FACT that we didnt just pop into being ( adam & eve )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I hope not, it's bad enough thinking my dead grandmother watches me when I masturbate.

It'd be worse if you were thinking about your dead grandmother when you masturbate.

Saganist wrote: »
    Have you even read about evolution ? Its pretty clear from that FACT that we didnt just pop into being ( adam & eve )

I believe in evolution, I also believe in God. It is possible.

Why do people suddenly think they can just assume what you believe without asking you?

True, but this doesn't change the fact that a lot of lives have been lost in the name of religion. Therefore saying its harmless for people to believe in not true.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,238 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

*whistling nonchalantly*

*Stops*

*looks around*

*amicable tip of the cap to Jakkass*

*turns around and leaves*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

It's possible he's got "god" in the boards search and he's constantly hitting F5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement