Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people still belive in God?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

kjl wrote: »
    True, but this doesn't change the fact that a lot of lives have been lost in the name of religion. Therefore saying its harmless for people to believe in not true.

Wouldn't it be more logical just to say that any cause when twisted for ones own intent and purpose can be harmful?

Just because something can be twisted doesn't mean that something is inherently harmful?

(I found it via the front page of boards actually :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

True, but this doesn't change the fact that a lot of lives have been lost in the name of religion. Therefore saying its harmless for people to believe in not true.

Thats human fault not religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Jakkas, I'm not slagging your beliefs, like I said such belief gives people a lot of comfort and can be a very good thing.

What I have issues with is peolle believing in texts that were written by man, not God (would you believe me if I said I talked to a burning bush etc)

So I have to ask you what you think of the following
    Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a east coast resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan,
    Jim

http://www.humanistsofutah.org/2002/WhyCantIOwnACanadian_10-02.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Jakkass wrote: »
    I believe in evolution, I also believe in God. It is possible.

Why do people suddenly think they can just assume what you believe without asking you?

You believe in the bible, and therefore believe in talking donkeys.

I think that's the logic they're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Why do people suddenly think they can just assume what you believe without asking you?

Well from what I can make out Evolution basically blows the book of Genesis out of the picture.

So if the start of your "book" is false, thats not a very good start is it ?

Yet you still believe ?

You just WANT to believe, regardless of the truth. This kind of fundamentalism is most commonly planted while young. Dont mean to pry too much, but are you from a religious family ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I believe in evolution
    Get thee to a confessional booth now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

They are weak.

And in years to come, they will be viewed in the same light that people who used to worship the sun are. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Just because something can be twisted doesn't mean that something is inherently harmful?

Like lemons?

caseyann wrote: »

WRONG. Its HUMANS in the NAME of Religion !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Honestly, I think this is the perception of you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

100 million lives were lost in the 20th century, its cause wasn't religion.

[Citation Needed]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Who do you think created and perpetuate religions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The-Rigger wrote: »
    They are weak.

And in years to come, they will be viewed in the same light that people who used to worship the sun are. lol.

You should have left it as "They are weak". It looked like Dart Vader joined the discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ush1 wrote: »
    Who do you think created and perpetuate religions?

Little aliens with horns on their heads and hands for eyes.

Scary little feckers they are.

Saganist wrote: »
    WRONG. Its HUMANS in the NAME of Religion !

Wrong its humans in the name of humans behind the guise of religion to encourage others to back them up,as was in the day of the crusades not so well read or educated people,they followed what they were told to do and when told in name of god believed it.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You should have left it as "They are weak". It looked like Dart Vader joined the discussion

I lold!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Paparazzo wrote: »

That's what I originally had.

P.S: I'm yore da.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Wrong its humans in the name of humans behind the guise of religion to encourage others to back them up,as was in the day of the crusades not so well read or educated people,they followed what they were told to do and when told in name of god believed it.

But it was also humans who created religion. Fair enough if you believe in a higher power or whatever but why does religion need to be 'organised'

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

And still do !

But it was also humans who created religion. Fair enough if you believe in a higher power or whatever but why does religion need to be 'organised'

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

Man saw a way to control the people and twisted what was written for their own ends.Instead of the whip they used the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

It's rather arrogant to believe that humans are anything more than a particular arrangement of the elements that exist within the boundaries of our atmosphere. Just like a sheet of plastic is a particular arrangement, and just like a plant is another. Or a cloth, or a cloud, or a rock etc.

Everything comes from the same place and will act and transform in accordance with physical laws. Essentially everything is energy, and in that sense everything is the same. Also in that sense, nothing truly dies. Our consciousness might not exist any longer, but the components that made it up will continue to exist in an infinite array of forms.

No, I can't back this up. It's just what I think. But I think this is logic one can see, and once one does, it makes sense.

Get thee to a confessional booth now

I'm not a Roman Catholic either.
    Well from what I can make out Evolution basically blows the book of Genesis out of the picture.

So if the start of your "book" is false, thats not a very good start is it ?

Yet you still believe ?

You just WANT to believe, regardless of the truth. This kind of fundamentalism is most commonly planted while young. Dont mean to pry too much, but are you from a religious family ?

You're making more assumptions about me! - As for my current thought on Genesis 1, you can find them in more detail here.

I believe because I find that it makes better sense than not believing in God.
    Jakkas, I'm not slagging your beliefs, like I said such belief gives people a lot of comfort and can be a very good thing.

I believe because I regard Christianity to be true, not because it is particularly comfortable. Living a Christian life is a constant challenge, but one that is ultimately worthwhile.
    What I have issues with is peolle believing in texts that were written by man, not God (would you believe me if I said I talked to a burning bush etc)

I personally hold that the Bible is divinely inspired. Yes, written by people, but inspired by God's Spirit.
    So I have to ask you what you think of the following

Funnily enough, this isn't really Christian specific as it was written to an Orthodox Jew concerning her beliefs on homosexual acts.

Christians understand the Torah as being the Jewish law, revealed by God to Moses for governing over the Israelites for a period of time. Christians also believe that God made a new covenant, or agreement between both Jews and Gentiles (non-Jews) and God. This is why the Bible is divided into two Testaments. Christians believe that Jesus fulfilled the cultural, and legal commands of the Jewish Torah (Genesis - Deuteronomy) but retained the moral commandments.

The New Testament also refers to homosexual acts as being forbidden, but it doesn't proscribe the death penalty (as that was fulfilled at the time of Jesus also).

Man saw a way to control the people and twisted what was written for their own ends.Instead of the whip they used the word.

Who are you to say that they twisted anything? How do you know it's not you that has it twisted?

And still do !
    I dont follow the church nor would people go to war in the name of god in western society,so please do tell how they still do?

Honestly, I think this is the perception of you :pac:

I would think that people would be very taken aback if they met me in person :pac:

Actually, a few boardsies have already. They can probably vouch for me not being like that.

Really I'm just an ordinary enough guy, who happens to believe in God.

I'm not a Roman Catholic either.

You're making more assumptions about me! - As for my current thought on Genesis 1, you can find them in more detail here.

I believe because I find that it makes better sense than not believing in God.

Oh so you get to cherry pick the bible ?

There's an original concept !

You're living a lie. Sorry to be so harsh.

I dont follow the church nor would people go to war in the name of god in western society,so please do tell how they still do?

So the many Jews who travel to Israel and fight in the army against Palestinians, aren't doing it in the name of Judaism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Really I'm just an ordinary enough guy, who happens to believe in God.

Do you believe there were talking donkeys though?

I personally hold that the Bible is divinely inspired. Yes, written by people, but inspired by God's Spirit.

You mean the holy ghost right, god I haven't heard from him in ages. Do he have another novel in the works. Can you get on your god phone or whatever and ask?

Although the book of Mormon was a bit of a let down.

• Advertisement

Do you believe there were talking donkeys though?

Well you're a typing donkey :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement