Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Racial slurs on Xbox live

• 29-07-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Hey all

Recently my son was called a Guinness drinking Irish cont! by one of our friends
    across the water.

This is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned, the reason the nob called him this was because he chain sawed this chap while playing gears of war.

I've reported this mug via the file complaint tab on x box live but still see him
    online.

Just wondering is there anyway of escalating this complaint.(still have the voice messages saved)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Does he not drink Guinness ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What age is your son?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I usually stay out of the online banter with idiots theres mute buttons, but some of the stuff i hear i just find funny.... there is parental controlls on the box too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

There was no online banter he just sent these abusive voice messages via send message not over online chat.

That_Guy wrote: »
    What age is your son?

Does he not drink Guinness ?

Don't give up the day job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Welcome sir, to the Internet.

Don't think so microsoft are meant to take racial sh1t serious.

Nick nack paddy whack etc.

Maybe I'm just not happy hearing that from an english cont but that's not a racial slur either I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Unfortunately that's something you'll have to deal with in the anonymous world of the internet.
    Unless alot of people that guy was playing with reported him then nothing will happen to that guy. MS (like any online system) just can't police that unless a super serious amount of negative feedback is given to a user. If your son has a problem with that he should just play with friends in a party or have everyone muted.

2hn5nwg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Unfortunately that's something you'll have to deal with in the anonymous world of the internet.
    Unless alot of people that guy was playing with reported him then nothing will happen to that guy. MS (like any online system) just can't police that unless a super serious amount of negative feedback is given to a user. If your son has a problem with that he should just play with friends in a party or have everyone muted.

2hn5nwg.jpg

This sums up your problem very well.

What I usually do is only use the Mic to talk to friends, otherwise everyone else is muted or i'm in Chat or a Party. Unfortunately not much can be done about it, unless it was recorded showing the user talking. Even then they'll get maybe a two week ban.

As Zeouterlimits explained about, the internet and especially xbox live are full are people who just like to slag anyone, because they're safe behind the screen, and 14.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

That stinks, but this is fairly common. I've found that the Gears Of War community is especially aggressive. I've also had my most run-in's with English folk :(

But, your son is 17, he's well able to handle himself. He should expect this stuff online. Just mute anyone offensive, an report them

Healium wrote: »
    That stinks, but this is fairly common. I've found that the Gears Of War community is especially aggressive. I've also had my most run-in's with English folk :(

But, your son is 17, he's well able to handle himself. He should expect this stuff online. Just mute anyone offensive, an report them

Indeed, he was in a party with friends this nob sent him a private voice message.

Yea I get you, and he is well able to handle himself, it was more me that got hot
    under the collar as we all use the same gamertag for online gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

bryaner wrote: »
    Indeed, he was in a party with friends this nob sent him a private voice message.

Yea I get you, and he is well able to handle himself, it was more me that got hot
    under the collar as we all use the same gamertag for online gaming.
    If thats the worst he gets calle din life he'll be laughing. If it bothers you/him report him or better still get firends to report him also.

I was a victim myself the other night playing MW2 and between games switched to tv for a few mins Louis Theroux was on looking at US kids with ADHD etc and said something about the amount of kids in the US with these sort of problems and he listed them.The whole lobby went spastic at me - I'd left my mic on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

I remember getting a thousand messages off this guy who was annoyed at me after I killed him just before he was going to get a harrier killstreak in MW2.

He called me a "camping" **** for being in a building and shooting him outside... How is that camping? It was domination for fecks sake!

TL;DR

Mute button, bad user rating, block, report to Xbox Live. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

one of my brothers friends scream "Alllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" into the mike whenever he starts a deathmatch. It seems to annoy the americans quite a lot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

This thread's title is like "Rain falls in Ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

If you chain sawed me in half I'd have something to say too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

isn't gears rated 18. Bad parenting imo. I'll be reporting you...:)

one of my brothers friends scream "Alllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" into the mike whenever he starts a deathmatch. It seems to annoy the americans quite a lot :D

actually laughed at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

He should take it as a compliment, it means he beat the dude.

Also, afaik one is enough to get the guy looked at by MS. It's feedback that doesn't squat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

Not the first time ive heard about this with xbox live! These guys dont take losing very well haha.
    Get the kid to keep kicking their ass and laugh at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah OP, this has been going on for years and years.
    Been called a potato ending Mick and similar names.
    I just mute these days, never bother with online chat and just have a few select friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Why doesn't he just block messages from people who aren't on his friends list? Its a simple setting on xbox.com.

Block messages from people who aren't on his friends list, submit negative player review, file complaint, reply to the message telling your man to go f*ck himself, block communications. (the last two steps are optional!).

Soblem Prolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Hes 17....I think hes well old enough to handle this sort of craic on his own. When I first read It I thought it sounded like your son was a little 9 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

awful amount of pricks on gears of war there is a crowd of them that whenever I join a game they kick me out straight away it all happened after I killed them all with a chainsaw :D.
    Unfortunatly alot of people on xbox live a complete pricks when they lose and theres not alot you can do if they send you a message trying to slag you send an even better one back to them absolutely burning them then negitive player review and if you want block them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

People are idiots. This isn't limited to Xbox Live - a depressing amount of people in IRL are idiots. You can never ignore or underestimate this fact.

Unfortunately, a particularly high level of idiots tend to converge on Xbox Live. Actually, maybe that's incorrect. The majority of players are fine. It's just the minority are particularly loud and obnoxious bunch. It, alas, gives gaming a bad reputation.

I like to think most of the racial slurrers are ignorant, young Americans who generally don't understand the impact of what they're doing, brought up in a country that does indeed have a questionable approach to outside influences.

That, or they're just idiots.

winston82 wrote: »
    isn't gears rated 18. Bad parenting imo. I'll be reporting you...:)

Jaysus your really funny.

joe123 wrote: »
    Hes 17....I think hes well old enough to handle this sort of craic on his own. When I first read It I thought it sounded like your son was a little 9 year old.

If you can read previous posts I said it pissed me off not him really.